TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Giuseppe Zangara

King Crimson: The Thread

Absent Lovers renders Three of a Perfect Pair superfluous, wouldn't you say? On AL, every song from ToaPP is superior to the studio version. It's not even close.

Yeah, pretty much. Like I said earlier, the title track is the only one that I might actually prefer to the studio, but that's only because of the guitar solo (obviously, a major YMMV). Not exactly the most technical solo that Fripp has ever laid down, but the glitched and ultimately fucked up sound behind it makes my day.

Though, make no mistake, the Absent Lovers cut is awesome. It's just a great song.

Yeah, they're better on here. Too bad there's no "Model Man" on here, because I always liked that one. The big studio-superior track here is probably "Thela Hun Ginjeet," it's a little messy here. Belew's phrasing on "Matte Kudusai" is a little off as well.

I hold Discipline in such high regard now that I can't say any of its counterparts on AL are superior, though maybe I like "Indiscipline" a tad bit more on the latter, if only for Belew's more frantic vocal delivery.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I still like Red more, but I prefer that era more in general, I guess.

I recently acquired from my dad, a selection of Fripp solo and collaboration cd burns. First up is Robert Fripp/Andy Summers' I Advance Masked, and I can safely say I really don't give a shit about this at all. This post will be my stream of consciousness as I listen for the next five or ten minutes.

Fripp's just being cute with the same minimalistic beedle deedle eedleing that he did lightyears better with KC 81-84. It's not bad by any means, it's just a six string workout with Summers coloring in between Fripp's lines. The ambient stuff on here is just a snore, though, so far. Regurgitated Eno at its most forgettable. Maybe I'd appreciate this more if I were high. Hey, a thumpy bassline and some non twiddly percussion unlike the second track which was dumber than fuck and led to nothing. The guitar is still nothing that Fripp'n'Eno never covered, and covered better and more comprehensively. This is what fifty something prog dorks like my dad listen to at work.