TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest jonstreich

RIP Waylon Jennings

Guest jonstreich

from MSNBC.com

Feb. 13 —  Hellraising country music icon Waylon Jennings, who escaped death by giving up his seat on Buddy Holly’s plane and helped launch Nashville’s “outlaw” movement with Willie Nelson, died Wednesday. He was 64.

THE DEEP-VOICED Texas troubadour “died very peacefully in his sleep” at his home outside Phoenix, Ariz., spokeswoman Schatzi Hageman said. Jennings had battled diabetes and related illnesses, and last year had his left foot amputated. Nonetheless he still had concert dates booked for the coming months.

Jennings, a guitarist, recorded 60 albums and had 16 No. 1 country singles in a career that spanned more than 30 years. He was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in October.

Jennings was plagued with health problems in recent years that made it difficult for him to walk. His left foot was amputated at a Phoenix hospital in December. He also suffered from a bad back and heart trouble.

Jennings and his wife, singer Jessi Colter, sold their home in Nashville more than a year ago and moved to Chandler, Ariz.

In 1959, his career was nearly cut short by tragedy soon after it began. He was scheduled to fly on the light plane that crashed and killed Holly, Ritchie Valens and J.P. “The Big Bopper” Richardson. Jennings gave up his seat on the plane to the Big Bopper, who was ill and wanted to fly rather than travel by bus with those left behind.

With pal Willie Nelson, Jennings did the 1970s duets “Mammas Don’t Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys,” “Luckenbach” and “Good Hearted Woman.” Those 1970s songs nurtured a progressive sound and restless spirit embraced later by Travis Tritt, Charlie Daniels, Steve Earle and others.

His resonant, authoritative voice also was used to narrate the popular TV show “The Dukes of Hazzard.” He sang its theme song, which was a million seller.“I aimed the narration at children and it made it work,” he said in a 1987 interview.

He traditionally wore a black cowboy hat and ebony attire that accented his black beard and mustache. In his later years, his once shaggy hair and beard were refined to short hair and a neatly clipped goatee flecked with gray. It took him more time to get around in later years, but he still wore a Southwestern print shirt with the sleeves cut off, and hat pin, earring and silver chain all with the Waylon logo, which looks like both a “W” and an eagle with its wings spread.

Often reclusive when not on stage, he played earthy music with a spirited, hard edge. Combined, Jennings had a well-defined image that matched well with his history of battling record producers to do music his way.

About his independence, he said: “There’s always one more way to do something - your way.”

Some of his album titles nourished his brash persona: “Lonesome, On’ry and Mean,” “I’ve Always Been Crazy,” “Nashville Rebel,” “Ladies Love Outlaws” and “Wanted: The Outlaws.”

He often refused to attend music awards shows on grounds performers should not compete against each other. Despite those sentiments, Jennings won two Grammy awards and four Country Music Association awards. He did not attend his induction into the Country Music Hall of Fame last year.

For about 10 years, he declined to appear on the Grand Ole Opry because a full set of drums was forbidden at the time. That rule was eventually dropped.

In 1992, he told the AP: “I’ve never compromised, and people respect that.”

Of his outlaw image, he said: “It was a good marketing tool. In a way, I am that way. You start messing with my music, I get mean. As long was you are honest and up front with me, I will be the same with you. But I still do things my way.”

When Jennings was told by doctors a few years ago to quit touring, he auctioned off much of his equipment. In less than a year, though, he was back playing concerts.

The younger generation of stars hadn’t forgotten him, either.

Clint Black paid his respects by having Jennings make a guest appearance on his new album, “D’lectrified.” At the end of Black’s version of his “Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way,” Jennings does a short rap about early country music great Jimmie Rodgers. Black modified the song to “Are You Sure Waylon Done It This Way.”

Born in Littlefield, Texas, Jennings became a radio disc jockey at 14 and formed his own band not long afterward.

He and Holly were teen-age friends in Lubbock, Texas, and Jennings was in Holly’s band. Holly also produced Jennings’ first record.

“Mainly what I learned from Buddy was an attitude,” Jennings said. “He loved music, and he taught me that it shouldn’t have any barriers to it.”

By the early 1960s Jennings was playing regularly at a nightclub in Phoenix. In 1963, he was signed by Herb Alpert’s A&M Records, then was signed by RCA in Nashville shortly thereafter by Chet Atkins. Once in Nashville, he and Cash became friends and roommates.

His hit records began in the mid-1960s and his heyday was the mid-1970s.

His “Greatest Hits” album in 1979 sold 4 million - a rare accomplishment in country music for that era.

In the mid-1980s, he joined with Nelson, Johnny Cash and Kris Kristofferson to form the quartet the Highwaymen, which recorded together and did concert tours.

“I’d like to be remembered for my music - not necessarily by what people see when they see us - but what they feel when they talk about you,” he said in 1984.

“Some people have their music. My music has me.”

His other hit singles included “I’m a Ramblin’ Man,” “Amanda,” “Lucille,” “I’ve Always Been Crazy” and “Rose in Paradise.”

He made occasional forays into TV movies, including “Stagecoach” and “Oklahoma City Dolls,” plus the Sesame Street movie “Follow That Bird” and the B-movie “Nashville Rebel.”

He has said he spent 21 years on drugs and had a $1,500-a-day cocaine habit.

“I did more drugs than anybody you ever saw in your life,” he told the Country Music Association’s Close Up magazine in 1994.

In 1977, he was arrested at a Nashville recording studio and charged with conspiracy and possession of cocaine with intent to distribute. The charges were later dismissed.

He kicked the habit in 1984 by leasing a house in Arizona and going cold turkey, he said.

He and Colter, his fourth wife, married in 1969. They had one son, Shooter.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/706712.asp?pne=msn

Guest Vern Gagne

He was a country singer that I liked. But it's ironic that Merle Haggard, George Jones, Johnny Cash, and Willy Nelson outlived him.

RIP Waylon

Guest One Bad Apple

Waylon Jennings seemed like nice guy, but I don't know if this this really happened. That guy who made the topic is winking.

Maybe he's just a sicko.

Guest THE SHOCKMASTER

nope

in the words of kurt angle

its true, its true

the great fox news channel

has been showing this sad news

on the ticker for a few days now

this sucks