TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Renegade

Guitar players

Guest The Beta Male

sounds like my kinda gig.. i`ve done my share of room-clearers over the years :D

Of the 4 shows I fronted TDR...one was lame (Roller Kingdom with a bunch of emokids), one was decent (the first TDR show), one was dull (Palladium, again with a bunch of emokids), and one we were the only band with a moshpit (12/23 in Vermont).

...but yeah. Trying to find a decent tuning for my new Warlock, and I've settle on either Eb or Drop-C#. I usually play in Drop-C# (Drop-D, down 1/2 step) anyway on my Explorer, but I think I'm mostly gonna use the Warlock to play Misfits and Slayer songs (which are mostly in Eb) and other similar-styles anyway.

Guest The Beta Male

A - octave lower than regular A string

A - regular tuning

A - regular tuning

E

A - octave above regular

E

try that, it`s got a lot of potential.

Devin Townsend - Physicist was recorded in that tuning.

it`s got a ton of low end and the higher E adds a real sparkle to it, it`s a cool contrast.

Guest Felonies!

I'd mess with alternate tunings like that, but it seems so tedious to have to keep resetting it.

Guest The Beta Male
I'd mess with alternate tunings like that, but it seems so tedious to have to keep resetting it.

don`t reset it then.. no rule that says you have to keep on in standard tuning :D

y`know.. or buy another guitar ;)

You could always get Rick Nielsen's 5-neck guitar for that

that thing must weigh a ton... it looks awesome though, in a kind of "er.... ok then!" kinda way.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I don't see the advantage of that goofball tuning up there. Does it just sound really mean played open? Because soloing on it would be stupid.

Guest The Beta Male
I don't see the advantage of that goofball tuning up there. Does it just sound really mean played open? Because soloing on it would be stupid.

it sounds killer open.. and having 2 strings tuned to the same A pitch gives you a chance for some wicked harmonies.

soloing isn`t that bad on it either, it just takes some experimenting.

sure all the usual soloing scales and stuff will sound a bit off, but if you`re going to find a custom tuing then you have to adapt your style a bit, depends how much you fancy experimenting i suppose.

usually i`ll keep one guitar in standard tuning for the rare occasions i fancy it, one in AAA, one in open C (down from std E) and one in Eb, which admittedly isn`t that different from std E, but if it`s good enough for slash (and a mere drop Db tuning away from white zombie :D ) then it`s good enough for me.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

On guitar, all I really use are Eb and drop-Bb. I don't change the tuning on my bass.

Guest The Beta Male

Bb? that`s pretty low.. what guage strings do you use?

I have a black Ibanez RG Electric now, and I'm thinking about buying a cheap Washburn House of Blues Acoustic for shits and giggles just to mess around with without spending much.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Bb? that`s pretty low.. what guage strings do you use?

Sepultura tuning, basically. I use heavy strings on guitar and lighter ones on bass. Usually 10's or 11's. I'm not brand loyal by any means. I like Elixir's bass strings quite a bit. Their guitar strings are ass, though.

While we're talking tunings...

My Explorer is tuned to Drop-C# (Drop-Db, whatever you wanna call it, since it's the same thing), and my Warlock is tuned to standard E. Might change that around so the Explorer is standard E and the Warlock is Drop-C#, but I'm not sure yet.

I need to bust out my old P.O.S. K-Mart special acoustic, too. First guitar I owned, a huge piece of shit that never stayed in tune, but it's worth it to jam out when I'm camping this weekend with my girlfriend, her brother, and his unofficial girlfriend Sam.

Just got a semi flame top les paul studio in wine red. Besides the slightly sticky neck it's a pretty good damn guitar, and a hell of a lot lighter than my tokai.

Guest The Beta Male

sounds nice! flame tops rule and gibson make the best guitars out there (imo)

a lot of LP studios have tacky necks, mine did before i wore all the laquer off :D

Guest The Beta Male
I keep my bass in standard tuning, whatever that may be. My guitar in drop d. I suck, whatever.

that`s the spirit! :D

std bass tuning : E A D G

Guest 5.0Fanatic

I have a black Ibanez thats in Drop Db, and the usual black and white Fender in standard. Also have a Red Ibanez bass that doesn't get much play from me but when it does its usually in drop D.