TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

All Star Selections Thread

Since we're bound to have some discussion when ESPN/MLB unleashes the picks in an hour, let's have a separate place to discuss them.

Here are your 2006 Win Shares All Stars, as of 6/25/06.

National League

C: J. Estrada, Ari

1B: A. Pujols, StL

2B: C. Utley, Phi

SS: J. Reyes, NYM

3B: D. Wright, NYM

LF: A. Soriano, Was

CF: C. Beltran, NYM

RF: B. Abreu, Phi

SP: B. Webb, Ari

American League

C: J. Mauer, Min

1B: P. Konerko, CWS

2B: J. Lopez, Sea

SS: D. Jeter, NYY

3B: J. Crede, CWS

LF: C. Crawford, TB

CF: C. Granderson, Det

RF: J. Dye, CWS

DH: J. Thome, CWS

SP: J. Santana, Min

Some thoughts...

-ESPN.com ran a roll asking for the fans' choices. They listed eight candidates for starting pitcher, NONE of whom were Johan Santana. For the record, Santana leads the AL in ERA, strikeouts, and is one back in the wins race.

-There will be a lot of talk about "snubs." There's your list up top. If a player isn't the best at his position, I don't think he qualifies. Good players get left off of All-Star teams. It's not a merit badge for having a good season.

They just need to abandon the one player per team rule and it would solve several problems with putting together the teams. It's an idea that made sense when there was only eight teams in each league but not anymore. My modest proposal has been that the only team that should have a rep is the team hosting the game as those tickets aren't cheap and the fans deserve to have one of their own playing. There are a handful of teams every year that legitimately do not have a single player you could make argument that they should be an All-Star. Are Royals fans going to be more inclined to watch the game just because Mark Grudzielanek is there?

If there's a "Second Chance" vote, I'll definitely put as many votes in as Mauer as I can. Varitek really doesn't deserve to make the team let alone be voted as starter.

I'm guessing Papelbon and either Schilling or Beckett will round out the Boston representatives.

Guest Princess Leena
Are Royals fans going to be more inclined to watch the game just because Mark Grudzielanek is there?

I think many would care more about the game. I know for many NHL all-star games where there were no Sabres, there's not the same need for me to watch it.

And does it really matter to any baseball fan if Cano, Loretta, Lopez, Iguchi, etc... is in over Grudzielanek.

Well I'm gong to have this entire selection show on mute so anyone feel free to post stupid comments by the usual group of idiots.

A.L. Starters

C: Ivan Rodriguez

1B: David Ortiz

2B: Mark Loretta

3B: Alex Rodriguez

SS: Derek Jeter

OF: Manny Ramirez, Vladimir Guerrero, Ichiro Suzuki

Well I'm gong to have this entire selection show on mute so anyone feel free to post stupid comments by the usual group of idiots.

A.L. Starters

C: Ivan Rodriguez

1B: David Ortiz

2B: Mark Loretta

3B: Alex Rodriguez

SS: Derek Jeter

OF: Manny Ramirez, Vladimir Guerrero, Ichiro Suzuki

Reserves

Paul Konerko

Well they threw up the graphic for Konerko that he was on the reserves, but they're talking like they dont know..

I could have sworn they put under Konerko's name that he was selected. Even without sound I can still get a stupid comment out of John Kruk: Raul Ibanez should be a starting outfielder.

N.L. Starters

C: Paul Lo Duca

1B: Albert Pujols

2B: Chase Utley

3B: David Wright

SS: Jose Reyes

OF: Carlos Beltran, Alfonso Soriano, Jason Bay

Kruk was bitching about Ortiz getting picked even though he's a DH, but he's one of the most popular players in the game right now playing for a team with a huge fanbase.

Pudge must have had quite the rally to earn the starting spot.

The fans nailed six of eight in the National League. That's pretty impressive.

EDIT: And now Kruk's complaining that Andruw Jones should've gone over Carlos Beltran. This is what's annoying me about this selection pick. Regardless of who you think is the deserving choice, they really should talk more about the guys who WERE chosen. This is their showcase.

Kruk was bitching about Ortiz getting picked even though he's a DH, but he's one of the most popular players in the game right now playing for a team with a huge fanbase.

Pudge must have had quite the rally to earn the starting spot.

It's a fundamental argument. Kruk argued that the All-Star game should just carry the DH, and I agree with that.

The DH in the All Star Game when its in a NL park was fine because it was every other year, but MLB has done away with alternating AL/NL sites since next years game is in SF. They might as well (err..edit: ADD) the DH in the All Star game too.

The DH in the All Star Game when its in a NL park was fine because it was every other year, but MLB has done away with alternating AL/NL sites since next years game is in SF. They might as well get rid of the DH in the All Star game too.

How come? Does the world demand a pitcher at bat in the game?

The DH in the All Star Game when its in a NL park was fine because it was every other year, but MLB has done away with alternating AL/NL sites since next years game is in SF. They might as well get rid of the DH in the All Star game too.

How come? Does the world demand a pitcher at bat in the game?

I goofed it up, see my edit.

KC's rep is Mark Redman..

A.L. Pitchers

Mark Buehrle

Jose Contreras

Roy Halladay

Scott Kazmir

Mark Redman (yes, please get rid of the one player per team rule)

Kenny Rogers

Johan Santana

Barry Zito

Jonathan Papelbon

B.J. Ryan

Mariano Rivera

Bobby Jenks

I'm troubled more by the exclusion of Francisco Liriano than by the exclusion of Curt Schilling.

Mark Redman may have surpassed Ken Schrom as the worst All-Star in recent memory.

Again mute on but is Steve Phillips really arguing Jose Contreras is better than Roy Halladay or Johan Santana? Gee can't believe he's still not a GM.

Again mute on but is Steve Phillips really arguing Jose Contreras is better than Roy Halladay or Johan Santana? Gee can't believe he's still not a GM.

He's 8-0. It's not about being the best pitcher, just having the best track record. How can you really argue against 8-0?

His logic wasn't that Contreras was "better" but if the game "matters" and you have to win, pick the guy who hasn't lost a start this season.

N.L. Pitchers

Pedro Martinez

Bronson Arroyo

Chris Carpenter

Tom Glavine

Brad Penny

Jason Schmidt

Brandon Webb

Carlos Zambrano

Trevor Hoffman

Tom Gordon

Brian Fuentes

Derrick Turnbow

Is it ultimately stupid to try and pick which pitchers will pitch in what innings a week+ from the game?

You gotta do something to stretch this show out.

A.L. Reserves

Joe Mauer

Paul Konerko

Jim Thome

Robinson Cano

Jose Lopez

Michael Young

Miguel Tejada

Troy Glaus

Bruiser had inside info...no Travis Hafner. Absolute joke.

Gary Matthews Jr.

Jermaine Dye

Alex Rios (injured)

Grady Sizemore

Vernon Wells