TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bruce Blank

The Sixth

[Deep booming ”NFL Films” Voiceover]

SWF From the Fire ’06 : Phoenix, AZ - March 14th 2006

“For over 270 days Jay Hawke carved out his place in history, for over 270 days he held on to the International Title by hook or by crook to become the longest reigning champion in SWF history”

“He put the title on the line no less than eleven times in that time period but left 3 of those matches as the loser by DQ as he did everything he could to keep his grip on the title”

“The Bahama Bomber had been chasing Jay Hawke for a while, fed up with the champion’s dishonest ways and underhanded tactics Wildchild finally got the champion where he wanted him, a corner he couldn't run away from.”

“What followed was one of the most emotional battles for the International title ever seen”

#Flashback#

“King, Wildchild and Jay Hawke have been at each other’s throats for months now,” says Cyclone Comet, “and now the tension between them is about to reach its violent climax, as the International Title is put up for grabs… in one of the most brutal matches in all of professional wrestling, King: the steel cage!”

“Well, this is exactly what Wildchild said that he wanted,” says the Suicide King. “A chance to face Jay Hawke for the International Title, where Jay can’t get himself disqualified… But, as we saw at the end of Lockdown, he may have spoken a little too soon!”

“What do you mean by that, King?”

“It’s simple, really,” explains King. “Over the past nine months, Jay Hawke has proven that he’ll do whatever it takes to keep that title… And, now that there’s no disqualification, there’s no limit to what he’ll be willing to do to remain the International Champion!”

“That may be true, King,” counters Comet, “but you have to admit that the cage isn’t exactly suited to Jay Hawke’s style.”

“Comet, there’s only one style when it comes to retaining a championship,” replies King. “That’s ‘win at all costs’ style, and I can assure you that nobody in the SWF today is more suited to winning at all costs than the Dean of Professional Wrestling himself!”

“Indeed,” amends Comet. “I stand corrected.”

“Now, having said that, I will agree that Jay Hawke has expressed his distaste to me at having to be in this match,” concedes King. “And, from his point of view, I can’t say that I blame him… It’s demeaning to him to have to defend his championship inside a cage; that’s not wrestling!”

“Well, King, the frustration of you and Jay Hawke notwithstanding, I want to personally commend Joseph Peters for ordering this match,” says Comet. “After everything that has transpired between these two young men, it will be refreshing to see a title match end conclusively!”

“Conclusively?” spits King in disgust. “It’s a setup, is what it is! It’s frustrating to me to see such a fine wrestler as Jay Hawke have to defend his title against somebody like Wildchild, in a match that clearly disadvantages the Champion!”

“You should have a little more faith in the Champion, King,” replies Comet. “I’m sure that, if Jay Hawke is meant to retain the title, he will have no difficulties overcoming the obstacles in his way!”

“But, damn it, Comet, that’s the whole point!” cries an exasperated King. “The Champion shouldn’t be the one who has to overcome obstacles; that’s the challenger’s role. The deck should not be stacked against the champion!”

“Well, I’m sure that we could continue to argue this issue for quite some time, King,” says Comet, “but our fans our waiting on the match to get underway… So, without further ado, let’s send it over to Funyon!”

DING! DING! DING!

The America West Arena grows silent at the toll of the timekeeper’s bell, as Funyon rises from his ringside seat and raises the microphone to his lips:

“Ladies and gentlemen,” he says, “the following contest is for the INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!”

YEAAAAAAAAAAH!

The crowd cheers grow in intensity as Mystikal’s “Bouncin’ Back” begins to play:

“YOU KEEP BUMPIN’ ME AGAINST THE WALL!

YEAH, I KNOW I LET YOU SLIDE BEFORE!

BUT, UNTIL YOU SEEN ME… TRUST ME…

YOU AIN’T SEEN BOUNCIN’ BACK!”

“This contest is a steel cage match,” booms Funyon, “and can be won by pinfall, submission, or by escaping the cage! Introducing first, being accompanied to the ring by Melissa Fasaki, here is the challenger: from Morgan’s Bluff, Andros, in the Commonwealth of the Bahamas, and weighing in at two hundred fourteen pounds… the WIIIIILDCHIIIIILD!” With Melissa draped over his left arm, Wildchild raises his right arm to salute the crowd as the pair makes their way down the ramp:

DUB-CEE!

DUB-CEE!

DUB-CEE!

DUB-CEE!

“By Zeus, I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a look of determination in the eyes of the Wildchild, King!” Wildchild’s focus is momentarily diverted, however, by someone moving through the crowd on his left. WC cranes his neck to see if whether it was someone familiar to him, but the mystery person disappears back into the crowd before Wildchild can get a clear view. Nonplussed, the challenger continues on down to the ringside area, where he gives her a quick embrace and watches her head back up the ramp before stepping inside the cage.

“Well, we’ve got the challenger inside the ring,” notes Comet, “and, as you all saw, Melissa Fasaki has been asked to leave ringside. There’ll be no question as to whether or not victory by either man will be conclusive tonight! And, we’ve also got two referees assigned to this match: junior official Red Herrington will be inside the cage, in case either man attempts to win by pinfall or submission, and senior official Matthew Kivell will be on the outside, to determine whose feet touch the ground first in the event of an escape attempt!”

Wildchild shakes one of the walls of the cage and then begins walking in circles as his music fades out. After a split second of silence, the lights in the arena dim, and quiet is quickly disrupted by Pink Floyd’s “Learning to Fly.”

BOOOOOOOOOO!

“And, his opponent,” continues Funyon, as Jay steps out onto the stage, “from the Hall-of-Fame city of Cleveland, Ohio, and weighing in tonight at two hundred fifteen pounds…Here is the International Champion… the Dean of Professional Wrestling: JAAAAAY HAAAAAWKE!” A spotlight shines on Jay Hawke as he stands at the foot of the stage. He glares at the cage in distaste before proceeding down the ramp.

“You can see the disgust on Jay Hawke’s face,” says King. “Like I told you, Comet, this style of match is beneath him; there’s something really wrong with this business when champions get penalized for being dominant, and challengers get rewarded for not being able to close the deal!” Wildchild leaps onto the top turnbuckle and begins to pull himself up to the top of the cage. He assumes a seated position on the lip of the cage and points down accusingly at Jay Hawke. The Champion catches his eye and holds his arms out defiantly, a grin spreading across his face as he points down to the International Title.

“It’s mine, you little punk!” he shouts up at his challenger. “This belt’s not going anywhere!”

“You can literally feel the tension, King!” says Comet. “This is going to be a tremendous match, I’m sure of it!” Jay begins to continue on towards the ring, but an unseen hand reaches out from the crowd and grabs at the back of his robe at the left shoulder, stopping him in his tracks! Hawke spins around furiously, but the mystery offender has already disappeared into the crowd, with several fans surrounding the ringside barricade pointing in the direction he took off in.

“This is ridiculous!” spits King, as Hawke chastises the security personnel standing around the barricade. “What is Peters paying these people for? What good is security that won’t keep the wrestlers secure?” Indignant over the lackadaisical job performance of the security personnel, Jay eventually turns his attention back towards the cage, but not before ripping the head of security a new one. And, while the International Champion is nimble man, and quick of reflex, as he turns back towards the cage, he is only able to react quickly enough to form a single thought:

“Oh shit.”

WHAM!

“By Zeus!” shrieks Comet. “Wildchild just dove from the top of the cage out to the arena floor, and turned Jay Hawke inside out with that hit!”

HOLY SHIT!

HOLY SHIT!

HOLY SHIT!

HOLY SHIT!

“What a despicable cheap shot by Wildchild!” roars King. “He couldn’t wait until Jay got into the ring… He couldn’t even wait until Jay was facing him… No, he had to wait until his back was turned, and then attack him from behind! How low can you get?” Wildchild crawls over to Hawke and begins hammering punches into the top of his head. He pulls the Champion up to his feet and leads him by the back of the head to the barricade, where he rams Hawke face-first! He then leads him down to the ringside and bashes Jay’s face into the wall of the cage!

“My word!” cries Comet. “Wildchild just sent Jay Hawke into the cage face-first!”

“And the cheap shots continue,” growls King. “This match hasn’t even officially started!”

“I do believe you’re right, King!” agrees Comet, as WC pulls Hawke away from the wall of the cage, only to knock him to the arena floor with a right cross. “We haven’t heard the bell; senior referee Matthew Kivell has not officially started this match… but we’ve got a bona fide donnybrook breaking out just outside the cage!” Wildchild pulls Jay back to his feet roughly and grabs him by the back of the head, leading him over towards the ring barricade, and then slamming him face-first into the hard rubber surface!

“This is sickening!” spits King, as Wildchild leans Hawke up against the corner where two sections of the barricade intersect. “Wildchild is too much of a coward to try and face Jay Hawke in the ring, so he has to sneak attack him out on the floor… Look, Jay hasn’t even had a chance to take off his robe yet!” WC grabs Jay roughly underneath the arm and drops him on his tailbone onto the arena floor with a hiptoss. The Dean scrambles desperately on his hands and knees to get away from WC, frantically discarding his robe as he does so. Wildchild chases after him and pulls him to his feet, but Hawke finally manages to stage a counter attack, stunning him with a rake of the eyes. As Wildchild rubs his eyes, Jay jams a knee into his midsection, and then grabs him by the tights and leads him back by the corner of the barricade, slamming him headfirst into it!

“There we go!” crows King. “Now let’s see what Wildchild can do, now that he’s not attacking the man from behind!” Jay pulls Wildchild to his feet and leads him over to the nearby corner of the cage attempting to bash WC’s head into the post… but the Bahama Bomber blocks with both hands! Wildchild thrusts an elbow into Jay’s midsection, knocking him a step backwards, and then leaps into the air, whipping his leg through the air and blasting Hawke in the face with a Gamengiri that sends him stumbling back into the corner of the barricade!

“Wildchild is on fire, King!” proclaims Comet. “He’s not going to let Jay Hawke find any purchase in this matchup!” WC turns back towards the ring and shinnies up the corner of the cage like he was climbing a palm tree back in Andros. Once he gets about halfway up, he springs backwards, flipping through the air and crashing into Jay with a moonsault press!

DUB CEE!

DUB CEE!

DUB CEE!

DUB CEE!

“Oh my goodness!” screams Comet, as WC pulls Hawke to his feet. “Wildchild just did a moonsault from the middle of the cage that sent him and Jay Hawke into the crowd! And now, Jay Hawke is in no-man’s land!”

“This is patently unfair!” protests King, as Wildchild knocks Jay further back into the crowd. “Any of those fans can get their hands on Jay Hawke right now; it’s about nineteen thousand to one! If security can’t keep these fans from putting their hands on Jay Hawke, they should all be fired on the spot! Kivell needs to get those two back to ringside, so that we can actually get this match started!”

“This is utter bedlam!” agrees Comet. “If Matthew cannot gain some sort of control soon, this match may not even happen!” Wildchild leads Hawke back over towards the barricade, and then rams him stomach-first into the hard rubber surface before dumping him back onto the ringside area. Jay scampers away from Wildchild once again as he climbs back over the barricade.

“Jay is going to have to do something to slow Wildchild down, and get this match back on track,” says King.

“Back on track?” asks Comet, as Hawke crawls over towards the announce table. “I’m not aware that this match ever got on track, King; it hasn’t even officially started yet, as we see the International Champion trying to pull himself back up in front of our announce table…” Kivell steps into Wildchild’s path to dissuade him from continuing to attack Jay outside the ring, but WC pushes him aside. He pulls Jay off the table, and the Dean catches him off-guard with a sucker punch to the temple! Hawke immediately follows up by delivering a stiff European uppercut, and then grabbing him by the back of the head…

WHACK!

… And slamming Wildchild face-first against the announce table! Jay stands over the dazed challenger and begins hammering him across the back of the neck with clubbing forearm blows.

“Look at Jay Hawke,” observes Comet. “The International Champion’s chest is covered in bruises from where Wildchild has repeatedly thrown his body at him! He’s got huge red welts on his back from where it impacted that barricade! He’s got a small trickle of blood running from his nose, from all the punishment that he’s taken! And yet, he’s finally starting to make his presence felt here in this match!”

“And Wildchild is going to regret pushing Jay Hawke past his limits!” cheers King, as Jay rolls Wildchild onto the top of the announce table. “He wanted to make this a fight, well now he’s about to come face-to-face with the consequences of that decision!” Jay climbs up onto the announce table and then pulls WC to his feet, trapping him in a standing headscissors.

“Uh-oh!” cries Comet, as Jay pumps his hands overhead. “Jay Hawke’s going for a piledriver… Clear out of here, King!” Hawke wraps both arms around Wildchild’s midsection and starts to lift him off the table as King and Comet move off to the side, but the Caribbean Cruiser kicks his legs frantically until Jay has to set him back down. Jay tries one more time without success to lift WC up for the piledriver, and then the Bahama Bomber straightens up his back, raising the International Champion up off the table, and dumping him onto the arena floor!

“Wildchild just saved himself from a possible broken neck with that counter!” shouts Comet, as Jay staggers across the floor to lean against the barricade. “And Jay Hawke just sustained another punishing blow to… LOOK OUT!”

WHAM!

Comet and King are just barely able to move out of the way as Wildchild runs across the announce table, leaping off as he approaches the edge and blasts Jay Hawke in the chest with a running dropkick that sends him back over the barricade and into the crowd! The Human Hurricane pulls himself to his feet and unleashes a feral how as the crowd cheers him on:

DUB CEE!

DUB CEE!

DUB CEE!

DUB CEE!

“What a dropkick!” exclaims Comet, as he and King settle tentatively back into their seats. “Wildchild just came off the announce table to hit Jay Hawke with a running missile dropkick! For the second time tonight, Jay Hawke has gone over the barricade… And for the THIRD time tonight, Wildchild appears to be climbing the wall of the cage! What’s he got in mind, King?”

“Nobody ever knows what Wildchild is thinking,” replies King, as Jay struggles to get back to his feet amidst the crowd, “but it can’t be good news for Jay Hawke!” WC races across the fairly wide rim of the cage, leaping off as he approaches the corner and somersaulting through the air as he sails gracefully over the arena floor, past the barricade…

CRASH!

… AND CRASHES INTO HAWKE WITH THE ANDROS DIVE!

HOLY SHIT!

HOLY SHIT!

HOLY SHIT!

HOLY SHIT!

“Holy shooting stars!” screams Comet. “Andros Dive from the top of the cage! He just crashed into Jay Hawke with a running somersault senton from twenty feet in the air!” Wildchild screams out, clutching his tailbone in pain as Hawke remains motionless a few feet away. Dozens of fans surrounding the crash site clamor to either give Wildchild a congratulatory pat on the arm, or to jeer Jay Hawke unmercifully, until security makes their way into the crowd to create some space between the wrestlers and fans.

“That was an utterly idiotic move!” roars King. “If he’d been even a half-second too early on that, he would have literally killed himself! I mean, look at him; even with Hawke taking the brunt of the impact, he still ended up landing on his tailbone… and the way he was bent over, he was a few inches away from bouncing off his head! How can anybody seriously consider a guy that reckless to be worthy of the International Title?”

Hawke and Wildchild continue to lie motionless on the concrete, as security fights desperately to keep fans from getting too close. “My concern, King, is whether or not we’ll ever get this match officially started?” ponders Comet. “And what kind of condition will these two men be in when the match finally DOES get going?”

Moments later, Wildchild finally rolls onto his knees and wearily pushes himself up to a standing position. He shuffles over to Jay and pulls him up to his feet, but the Dean rifles a clenched fist into this genitals! As WC doubles over in pain, Hawke springs into action, quickly trapping him in a standing headscissors and wrapping both arms around his waist, getting just enough lift to pull Wildchild off the ground before he can recover…

BANG!

… And bounces the top of Wildchild’s head off of the concrete floor with a piledriver!

“He hit it!” praises King, as Jay lies back against the concrete, breathing raggedly. “He got that piledriver he was going for! He didn’t get it out here on the announce table, but he may have done one better by hitting it out there on the floor instead!”

“Indeed,” agrees Comet. “Jay Hawke has turned the tables on Wildchild, and now has a golden opportunity to take control of this match!” After several seconds, Jay gets back to his feet, walking over to a young fan and snatching the officially-licensed Wildchild beach towel that his father just bought for him on the concourse. He walks away from the bawling tyke and rolls the towel up like a kerchief. He then stands behind Wildchild and slips it around his neck, choking him out with it!

“Holy garrote, this is brutal!” cries Comet. “Jay Hawke just stole that towel from that poor young fan, and now he’s choking Wildchild out with it!”

“Well, this is what Wildchild said he wanted,” mocks King. “He wanted a match where Jay Hawke couldn’t get himself disqualified, and now he’s paying the price for it!” Out of desperation, Wildchild turns his body in towards Hawke, wraps his arms around the Champion’s waist, and pops his hips as he falls backwards…

WHAM!

… Driving the back of Jay’s head into the concrete with a backdrop suplex!”

“Tremendous maneuver by the Wildchild!” shrieks Comet. “A suplex to counter being choked out!” A nearby security person retrieves the blanket and returns it to the fan, as both challenger and Champion writhe on the floor in pain.

DUB CEE!

DUB CEE!

DUB CEE!

DUB CEE!

“This has gone on long enough!” complains King. “Kivell needs to exercise some authority and get these two back in the ring, before Hawke ends up being seriously hurt!” Hawke and Wildchild begin exchanging punches as the work their way back to their feet. Several of the “off-duty” referees enter the crowd and try to steer Wildchild and Jay back towards the cage, but to no avail, as they keep progressively moving further and further away from the ringside area as they fight through the crowd. Finally, they reach the edge of the arena floor, which separates the ground-level seats from those higher up. The referees steer Wildchild and Hawke over to the tunnel leading out to the concourse, and then try to get between them, but the Dean merely takes advantage of Wildchild’s preoccupation and leaps over the officials separating them to nail WC in the side of the head with a sucker punch!

“What a dastardly tactic by Jay Hawke!” cries Comet. “He waited until the referee’s had Wildchild’s attention diverted, and then nailed him with a cheap shot!”

“What’s the matter, Comet?” mocks King. “You don’t like it when the shoe’s on the other foot? I don’t remember hearing you say anything when Wildchild was diving off the cage behind Jay’s back! Turnabout is fair play!”

Jay walks over to a nearby cluster of fans and snatches his custom-made souvenir folding chair. He takes it back over to where Wildchild is getting back to his feet and raises it overhead to bash his skull in, but the Tropical Tumbler dives out of the way and springs to his feet as Hawke turns back around…

WHAM!

… Driving the chair into his nose with a shuffling sidekick! Blood sprays from Hawke’s face as he collapses to the ground, and Wildchild climbs up to the upper level.

“Big time sidekick makes Jay Hawke regret putting that chair into play,” remarks Comet. “And what is Wildchild climbing up there for?”

“I don’t know,” replies King, “but he’s done enough damage with his high flying for one day!” Wildchild steps out onto the platform above the tunnel leading outside, and then turns to look at the fans before leaping off the platform to crash down onto Jay Hawke with a moonsault press!

CRASH!

… But the wily International Champion has enough presence of mind to roll out of the way, causing Wildchild to crash into the concrete floor!

“Holy crash and burn!” shrieks Comet. “Wildchild tried to put Jay Hawke’s lights out for good, but he missed the mark, and fell ten feet to the concrete!”

“I love it!” exclaims King. “That’s what he gets for going to the well once too often. He couldn’t be happy with having the momentary advantage… NO! He had to go ahead and try to be fancy… and what did it get him? A Nestea Plunge onto a concrete floor, THAT’S what it got him!” Jay pulls Wildchild to his feet and hammers him in the back of the neck with clubbing forearms, but with security’s help, the “off-duty” referees manage to steer them over towards the entrance ramp.

“My word, King,” exclaims Comet, as Hawke tosses Wildchild back over the barricade, “these two have beaten each other half-way around the arena!”

“Yeah, but at least it’s finally starting to look like they might take it inside the cage, so that we can get this match underway, says King. Jay climbs onto the barricade and then leaps onto the ramp to crush Wildchild with a flying attack, but the Bahama Bomber lunges upwards desperately and jams a rising uppercut into the midsection of the descending Champion!

YEAAAAAAAAAAH!

“Punch to the midsection!” screams Comet, as WC collapses back to the floor, spent. “This match has been going back and forth for several minutes, King!” Both men slowly get back to their feet, and Jay tries to reassert himself with a right cross, but WC blocks with his left forearm, and then counters with a right elbow to the face! As Hawke staggers back, the challenger presses the attack, knocking him down with a headbutt! Wildchild pulls Jay back to his feet, only to hook his arm underneath the Champion’s and executes a hiptoss that sends Hawke tumbling down the ramp towards the ring.

“Wildchild and Jay Hawke are slowly but surely making their way back towards the ring,” notes Comet. “We may get an actual match yet!” WC grabs Jay’s head and tries to bash it into the ring barricade, but the Dean blocks his attempt, and drives the challenger’s face into the barricade instead! As Wildchild staggers away, Jay lifts him up into a bearhug and races towards the ring, slamming his back against the wall of the cage!

“Looks like Hawke’s trying to get a little payback!” crows King. “Wildchild was using the cage as a weapon earlier, and now Jay Hawke’s returning the favor!” Jay reasserts his grip and rushes back towards the ring, but the Caribbean Cruiser gets his feet up, bracing them against the wall of the cage and pushing off, rolling over Hawke’s shoulders and down his back. WC wraps both hands around Jay’s waist as he falls, pulling the Dean into a Sunset Flip, but instead of making a worthless pin attempt, the Human Hurricane immediately rolls back to his feet while maintaining control of Jay’s legs. The fans begin cheering immediately as they realize what he’s about to do:

YEAAAAAAAAAAH!

“Oh my!” squeals Comet. “A possible slingshot coming up!” Sure enough, Wildchild locks his arms underneath Jay’s legs and falls backwards, launching Hawke through the air and sending him face-first into the wall of the cage!

“More cheap tactics by the Caribbean Coward!” spits King, as Wildchild pulls Hawke to his feet and leads him over to the cage door. “But, at least we might be finally ready to officially start this match!” WC rolls Hawke into the ring, and the Champion scampers backwards across the ring, begging off the Bahama Bomber as he steps into the ring himself. Kivell closes the door to the cage whilst simultaneously signaling the timekeeper to ring the bell, signifying the official start of the match:

DING! DING! DING!

“Bell’s gone!” shouts Comet. “And this match is officially underway!”

“Finally!”

Jay continues to stall for time as Wildchild crosses the ring, and then finally stuns him with a kick to the midsection! Hawke grabs Wildchild by the back of the head and rams it into the top turnbuckle. He then begins to skip across the ring, waving for Kivell to open the cage door as he tries to get out.

“He’s making a break for it!” shouts King. “Jay Hawke’s heading for the exit!” Before he can reach the edge of the ring, however, WC tackles him from behind and drags him away from the door. Wildchild takes half a step back and then leaps into the air, crashing down onto Jay’s back with a senton splash! Wildchild easily beats Jay back to his feet and runs to the ropes, springing forward as he rebounds and blasting Hawke in the face with a basement dropkick!

“He didn’t make it!” calls Comet. “Wildchild headed him off at the pass!” WC chews furiously at the gauze on his arm, until he gets an end loose. He then unravels a length of the gauze from around his arm and grasps it in both hands as he sneaks up behind Jay… and chokes him out with the gauze!

YEAAAAAAAAAAH!

“He’s choking him!” roars King. “What a cowardly thing for Wildchild to do!”

“Now wait just a minute, King,” counters Comet. “Didn’t you just tell me a few minutes ago that turnabout was fair play? Who choked whom first?”

“Wildchild had that coming for all the cheap shots he was responsible for outside the ring!” replies King, as Jay’s face begins to turn purple. “Once the two of them got in the ring, they should have started out on a clean slate… But, you know what? It doesn’t surprise me to see Wildchild resort to such cheap tactics!”

“And just what’s that supposed to mean?”

“Wildchild knows that he couldn’t beat Hawke in a wrestling match,” replies King. “Hell, he probably figures that he couldn’t even beat him in a street fight, if he had to meet him face-to-face, so I’m not surprised to see him trying to attack from behind!” Red Herrington implores WC to release Jay from the choke, trying to appeal to his sense of mercy, since he can’t disqualify him. Finally, WC removes the gauze from Hawke’s throat and leads him back over to the corner, where he stands on the middle ropes and begins to administer a ten-count punch!

ONE!

TWO!

THREE!

FOUR!

FIVE!

SIX!

SEVEN!

EIGHT!

NINE!

TEN!

“Wildchild on a roll, King!” says Comet. “Jay Hawke is going to have to pull something out of his bag of tricks if he wants to continue to hold on to the title!” WC pulls Jay out of the corner, but the Dean stuns him with a Greco-Roman thumb to the eye, and then scoops him up off the canvas, dropping him onto his outstretched thigh with an inverted Atomic Drop!

“Nice counter by the Champion!” praises King. “And good thinking to go to work on that injured tailbone!”

“Yeah,” Comet says dryly, “nothing says good technical wrestling like a thumb to the eye!” Hawke pulls WC forward and traps him in a front facelock. He then lifts him overhead and drives him back down to the canvas with a textbook vertical suplex!

“How’s that for technical wrestling?” mocks King, as Hawke floats over into a lateral press:

ONE!

TWO!

TH— KICKOUT!

“You have to give credit to the International Champion,” concedes Comet. “He’s sustained a lot of punishment here tonight, and yet he’s still had the wherewithal to take control of this match, and even get the first pin attempt!” Jay gets to his feet and hops into the air to deliver an elbowdrop, but the Tropical Tumbler rolls out of the way! WC beats Hawke to his feet and scoops him up for a slam, only for the Dean to shift his weight in midair and cause Wildchild to fall backwards! Jay holds him down for a pin…

ONE!

TWO!

… But only gets two! Hawke moves his forearm over WC’s throat and presses down onto it; Herrington appeals to the Champion to try and get him to release the hold, while Wildchild flails about on the canvas, gasping for air.

“Now this is more like it,” says King. “And now that Jay Hawke has been able to turn this into a wrestling match, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that he’s been able to take control!”

“Even so,” replies Comet, “you can’t help but notice that he’s been far more aggressive tonight than I’ve ever seen him! Even though he’s trying to keep this match as a ground-based affair, he’s venturing outside of his usual strategy a little!”

“Well, that’s to be expected,” says King. “These two have faced each other so many times that you HAVE to try something different. Jay Hawke may want to keep this a wrestling match, but he doesn’t want to make himself overly predictable, either!” Jay scrambles back to his feet and quickly hops back off the mat, delivering a kneedrop to Wildchild’s face.

“And you’ve got to attribute that to Jay Hawke’s experience advantage as a wrestler,” adds Comet, as Wildchild rolls towards the edge of the ring. “He knows all about how to keep an opponent on the defensive!” Hawke walks over to Wildchild and drops a knee right across his throat! He gets back to his feet, only to do it again, this time holding the knee against his throat as Herrington pleads with him to relent.

“Absolutely!” agrees King. “This is where the additional years of wrestling experience really serve Hawke well! He withstood the early assault from Wildchild, and by taking the brunt of that assault, he was able to slowly take Wildchild’s offense away from him; Wildchild is a guy who depends on using his body as a weapon, and Hawke just let him throw himself around until he wore himself out, and now he’s got this match well in hand!”

“He’s definitely a great Champion, there’s no doubt about that!” concedes Comet, as Herrington finally persuades Hawke to get off of WC’s throat. “He wouldn’t be where he is today if he wasn’t an outstanding wrestler!” Jay leads Wildchild over to the corner and bashes his head into the top turnbuckle… And then, just to be a prick, rakes WC across the eyes!

BOOOOOOOOOO!

“Hawke going back to work on the head and neck area of Wildchild,” observes Comet, as Jay hammers WC in the back of the head with a forearm smash, “and I’m a little surprised that he hasn’t attempted to work the shoulders to set up that Wing Span!”

“Well, sometimes you have to do certain things to create openings for other things,” explains King. “And, with as many times as Wildchild and Jay Hawke have met in the ring, Jay probably feels that Wildchild is too familiar with his usual setup for the Wing Span; he probably feels that Wildchild might be able to counter if he telegraphs his strategy… so, like any good wrestler, he softens up another part of Wildchild’s body first, making him weaker, and more susceptible to attack in other areas.” Hawke drops another knee across Wildchild’s throat, but quickly gets back to his feet and taunts the crowd, which responds with hearty booing.

“Well, Hawke has his confidence back, there’s no question about that,” notes Comet. “You can tell by the look in his eyes that he feels he has Wildchild on the ropes… And it will be interesting to see how quickly Jay attempts to put the match away from here, because Wildchild may be ripe for the picking!” Jay pulls Wildchild into a front facelock and then twists sharply to his left, driving the challenger down to the mat with a winging neckbreaker! Hawke floats atop WC to apply a lateral press…

ONE!

TWO!

TH— KICKOUT!

“Unbelievable that Wildchild could kick out of that!” exclaims King. “I thought that Jay had him!”

“It’s entirely possible that he would have won this match if he’d only hooked the leg, King!”

“I have to agree,” concedes King. “That was a cardinal mistake for a veteran like Jay Hawke; I’m surprised that he didn’t hook that leg!” Jay gets back to his feet and quickly leaps into the air, dropping his outstretched leg across WC’s throat. He applies another lateral press:

ONE!

TWO!

THR—

Wildchild sneaks out the back door! Hawke pounds the mat in disgust as WC tries to crawl away from him.

“That’s twice now!” squeals Comet. “Jay Hawke has had very poor execution on his pin attempts down the stretch in this match!”

“Absolutely!” agrees King. “He had better not make the mistake of taking Wildchild too lightly; Hawke might be the better wrestler, but you don’t want to take a chance of letting your opponent get a lucky shot in!” The Dean rolls Wildchild onto his stomach and then begins to deliver a series of kneedrops to the challenger’s left shoulder!

“Jay Hawke has controlled the action for several minutes, almost from the time they’ve entered the cage,” says Comet, as Hawke holds out WC’s left arm, and then kicks him in his unguarded left shoulder. “And King, I have to give you credit: Jay Hawke has started to go to work on that shoulder, just like you called it a couple of minutes ago!”

“Well, when you’ve been feuding off and on with a guy for the better part of a year, like these two have, you have to be aware of the fact that the other guy knows what your tendencies are; you have to be able to adapt, or your opponent is going to be able to neutralize your offense! Now that he’s got Wildchild distracted by injuries to other parts of his body, Jay Hawke is free to work on that shoulder!” The Champion pulls Wildchild to his feet and traps him in a hammerlock, and then leads him over to the corner and rams him shoulder-first into the top turnbuckle! As WC staggers out of the corner, the Dean grabs him by the back of the head and leads him towards the edge of the ring…

WHAM!

… Slamming him face first into the wall of the cage! Wildchild grabs onto the top rope for support as he slumps to the canvas, and Jay Hawke raises his arms triumphantly, to the dissatisfaction of the fans.

BOOOOOOOOOO!

“This match has taken on a very methodical pace since Jay Hawke gained control,” notes Comet, as Hawke lifts WC onto his shoulder. “And now the Champion is going right back to that shoulder… Yes! Shoulderbreaker, and well executed!”

ONE!

TWO!

THRE— NO!

“He didn’t get him there,” says King, “but you can tell that he’s getting closer!” Jay heads over to Wildchild to pull him back to his feet, but the Bahama Bomber fires a closed fist into his midsection! The energy exerted from the blow knocks WC onto his posterior, but he gets back onto one knee and sends another fist into the Champion’s belly! And another! The crowd starts to get behind Wildchild as he punches his way back to his feet.

LET’S GO, WILDCHILD, LET’S GO! *CLAP-CLAP*

“Unbelievable!” shouts Comet. “Look at Wildchild fire back! He’s made his way back to his feet, King!” Wildchild tries to go up high with a right cross, but the Dean blocks with his left forearm, and then sends Wildchild back down to the canvas with a headbutt! Hawke wipes some of the blood from his face, and then walks around Wildchild’s body towards his head and delivers another kneedrop to WC’s left shoulder!

“Hawke has been able to stifle every attempt at a comeback since getting into the ring,” says King. “But look at this… I can’t believe it; Wildchild’s back on his knees!” WC crawls away from Jay Hawke, breathing heavily as he attempts to get back to his feet, but the Dean walks up behind him, grabs him by the back of the head and leads him towards the edge of the ring…

WHAM!

… Slamming him headfirst into the wall of the cage! WC staggers across the ring to a neutral corner leaning against the turnbuckles as he tries to recover. Jay walks over towards him and attempts to pull him out of the corner, but the Caribbean Cruiser spins around without warning, and kicks the Champion in the gut!

“Wildchild still has some fight left in him,” says Comet, “but I don’t know if his body can continue to take this kind of punishment… And look at that, King: Wildchild appears to be bleeding! That last trip into the cage must have busted him open!”

“I’m not sure,” says King. “I need to get a better angle on… Yes! Wildchild’s been busted open! It’s not that bad yet, though; he may not have even realized it!” Hawke recovers before Wildchild and grabs him by the back of the head, pulling him roughly out of the corner, and then leads him across the ring, tossing him face-first into the cage wall yet again!

“Well, if he didn’t notice it before, he’s going to notice it now!” exclaims Comet, as Jay rakes Wildchild’s face across the steel mesh. “Jay Hawke has really opened up Wildchild’s face! Jay leads away from the edge of the ring and pops him in the face with a forearm shot, then quickly follows up with a headbutt that drops WC to his knees. He grabs the challenger by the back of the head and leads him over to the nearby corner to slam his head into the top turnbuckle, but the Bahama Bomber blocks by getting his foot up on the middle turnbuckle, and then rams Jay’s head into the buckle instead! WC’s eyes take on a feral appearance as he begins to batter the Champion with rapid-fire right hands, knocking him backwards towards the center of the ring!

“Wildchild’s firing back, King,” shouts Comet. “And look at his eyes! I’ve never seen a look like that in Wildchild’s eyes before!”

“I have,” says King woefully. “And it’s not good news for Jay Hawke!” WC grabs Hawke by the wrist and whips him across the ring, but the Dean still has the presence of mind to reverse. He tries to nail Wildchild with a back elbow as he bounces off the ropes, but the Human Hurricane ducks and sprint across the ring, exploding through the air as he rebounds a second time, and leveling Jay with a leg lariat! Wildchild pops up to his feet, tilting his blood-stained face to the rafters and unleashing a primal howl as the fans chant for him:

DUB CEE!

DUB CEE!

DUB CEE!

DUB CEE!

“He’s snapped!” cries Comet. “Wildchild has snapped! He’s gone into a frenzy, King!” WC pulls Hawke brusquely to his feet and leads him by the back of the head towards the edge of the ring, slamming him face-first into the cage wall! He then races towards the opposing ropes as Jay staggers back towards the center of the ring…

WHAM!

… And knocks him to the canvas with a flying shoulder tackle to the ribs!

“By Zeus!” exclaims Comet. “What a tremendous pouncing shoulderblock to the ribs by Wildchild!” WC cries out again before leading Hawke over to the corner and bashing his head repeatedly into the top turnbuckle! The fans count along with him:

ONE!

TWO!

THREE!

FOUR!

FIVE!

SIX!

SEVEN!

EIGHT!

NINE!

TEN!

Hawke staggers feebly away from the corner and collapses to the canvas. Wildchild follows up by running to the ropes and leaps into the air as he rebounds, crashing into the Champion’s head with a flying headbutt! WC applies a lateral press!

ONE!

TWO!

THR—

Jay Hawke kicks out at two! Wildchild pulls him to his feet, only to scoop him up and plant him back down on the canvas with a Scoop Slam. The challenger backs into the nearby corner and pulls himself onto the middle turnbuckles, from which he leaps back down into the ring, driving a vicious fistdrop between the eyes!

“Wildchild is in the zone, King!” exclaims Comet. “He has completely taken over this match!”

“Wildchild’s running on raw adrenaline right now,” says King. “Hawke needs to find a way to get him on the ground and sap that excess energy out of him, so that he can regain control!” WC pulls Hawke to his feet and continues to punish him with punches to the head. The gauze covering the challenger’s arms has been soaked in the Champion’s blood, as Wildchild draws back an arm and staggers Hawke with a reverse knife-edge chop! He grabs Jay by the side of the head and delivers a headbutt which drops him to one knee, and then runs towards the ropes, exploding into the air as he bounces off and knocking Jay backwards with a flying headbutt…

That sends him tumbling towards the door! Jay Hawke instinctively rolls onto his belly and begins crawling frantically towards the door of the cage!

“The door is open!” shouts Comet. “Jay Hawke’s going to make a break for it!”

“Go Hawke, Go!” cheers King. “You’re almost there!” Jay gets both hands locked around the threshold and begins to pull himself out of the cage! His hands touch the arena floor, and he begins to pull the rest of his body out!

“He’s done it!” crows King. “Once his feet touch the ground, it’s all over!”

But, before he can make a clean getaway, Wildchild races over and grabs him by his right leg! He starts to pull Jay back into the ring, but the Dean grabs onto the cage wall and begins to pull back!

“We’ve got a veritable tug of war going on here,” says Comet, “with the International Title on the line! Who’s going to win this battle, King?”

“Well, Jay Hawke would normally have the strength advantage, but the adrenaline running through Wildchild’s veins right now makes it just about even,” remarks King. “If Jay can just hold on until Wildchild starts to tire, he should be able to win this!”

“Perhaps,” ponders Comet. “But how long can Jay Hawke hang on before HE starts to tire?” Hawke begins kicking frantically at WC’s chest with his left leg to push him away, until the Bahama Bomber finally wises up and stands on the far side of Jay’s right leg. Suddenly, inspiration strikes him as he opens his mouth wide and latches his teeth onto Jay’s calf!

YEAAAAAAAAAAH!

“Whoa! He’s biting him!” roars King. “How low can you get, to bite your opponent?” Caught by surprise, Jay screams out in pain and, for an instant, relaxes his grip on the cage wall…

… And instant that proves to be all the time that Wildchild needs…

WC pulls Jay back into the cage, and Hawke desperately crawls away from the challenger, begging off as Wildchild draws near. WC pulls Hawke to his feet, but the Dean stuns him with a rake of the eyes, and then he grabs Wildchild by the side of the head and slams the back of the challenger’s head against the canvas! Hawke turns away and walks towards the edge of the ring, leaning against the top rope to catch his breath, but the fans begin to cheer loudly as Wildchild pops back to his feet, eyes wide with rage!

“Unbelievable!” shouts King. “He’s back on his feet! Jay… turn around, quick!” The sudden increase in the crowd’s volume clues Jay in to something being amiss, and he turns around to see WC stomping towards him. He swings desperately with a right cross, but the Bahama Bomber blocks with his left forearm and knocks him to the canvas with a ferocious right hand! Wildchild grabs Hawke by the wrist and whips in into the corner, and then charges in after him and leaps into the air to deliver a splash, only for the International Champion to dive out of the way at the last second, causing WC to crash face-first into the top buckle instead!

“Excellent reflexes on the part of the Champion!” praises King, as Jay grabs onto the wall of the cage and begins to climb. “And now, he’s going to try and get out of the cage!” Wildchild dashes over to Jay and tries to push him off the cage, but the Dean kicks him away! Sensing that he does not have WC compromised enough to attempt escape, Jay turns back towards the ring, using the cage wall to balance himself as he springs off the top rope...

WHAM!

… And knocks Wildchild off his feet with a missile dropkick!

“Phenomenal move by Jay Hawke!” cheers King, as Hawke heads over to the corner. “And Jay Hawke’s going back to the top rope… I think he’s going for the diving headbutt!”

“By Zeus, King,” agrees Comet, “I think you’re right!”

“Well, if he hits this, he’s successfully defended his title! And how fitting would it be to beat Wildchild at his own game?” Hawke steadies himself on the top turnbuckle and then leaps off, aiming his head at Wildchild’s chest…

WHAM!

… But it jams into the canvas instead, as Wildchild rolls out of the way!

“He missed!” cries Comet, as Wildchild crawls over to the corner. “Jay Hawke has just made a critical mistake!” Wildchild whips Hawke into the corner, running to the opposing ropes as Jay bounces off the turnbuckles and leaping into the air, snaring the Champion in a side-headlock as he flies by and driving him face-first into the canvas with a bulldog! He rolls Hawke over and hooks the leg…

ONE!

TWO!

THR—

But only gets two! WC pulls Hawke back to his feet and traps him in a front facelock. He reaches down to grab Hawke’s near leg and then lifts him into the air, turning three-quarters of a circle before falling backwards, slamming Jay’s head against the canvas with a corkscrew suplex!

“There’s that patented corkscrew vertical suplex!” reports Comet, as WC points his finger towards the sky. “And we know what that’s a setup for, King: Wildchild’s going up top!”

“This is a mistake; it was a mistake for Hawke, and it’ll be a mistake for Wildchild! Fatigue is too big a factor at this point in the match,” explains King.

Sure enough, as Wildchild begins climbing, Jay pulls himself up to his knees. Seeing WC’s back turned to him, the Dean scrambles to his feet and rushes over to the corner, leaps into the air and hits Wildchild from behind with a flying double-axe handle that knocks his head against the corner of the cage!

“What’d I tell you?” asks King triumphantly. “After the kind of beating these two have taken, even Wildchild is a step slower!” Jay climbs wearily up to the middle turnbuckle and wraps both arms around Wildchild’s waist before falling backwards, jerking WC off of the turnbuckles and driving him into the canvas with a devastating belly-to-back Superplex!

“Gorgeous Superplex by Jay Hawke!” crows King. “Too bad he wasn’t able to hold on, or this match would be over! It might STILL be over, if he can crawl over to Wildchild in the next few seconds!”

“That Superplex appeared to take a lot out of Jay Hawke as well,” notes Comet. “Or perhaps it’s the punishment he’s taken in this match catching up to him!” Determined to keep his title, Jay drags himself over to Wildchild, where he collapses atop his body…

ONE!

TWO!

THREE!

NO! WILDCHILD GETS THE SHOULDER UP!

YEAAAAAAAAAAH!

Jay’s eyes are nearly glassed over as he looks up at the lights in exasperation, as if asking some bodiless deity, “What do I have to do to put this guy away?”

“Boy, you can see it in Jay Hawke’s eyes, King,” notes Comet, “he did not think that Wildchild was going to kick out of that Superplex!”

“Neither did I!” concedes King. “I don’t think anybody did!” Wearily, Jay stands up and then pulls Wildchild to his feet alongside him. He kicks WC in the midsection to double him over, and then slaps his forearm to indicate his next move. Hawke runs to the edge of the ring, picking up speed as he bounces off the ropes, but the Bahama Bomber suddenly springs to life, side-stepping Hawke as he draws near and leading him by the back of the head across the ring, slamming him headfirst into the cage wall! Jay staggers back towards the center of the ring and drops to one knee as WC runs to the opposing ropes, leaping into the air as he rebounds and extending his leg over the back of Hawke’s neck…

WHAM!

… Before driving him face-first into the canvas with the Caribbean Cutter! The crowd begins cheering wildly as WC pops back to his feet, and become impossibly louder when he raises his arms above his head before pulling them down to his chest in that now familiar motion!

YEAAAAAAAAAAH!

“That’s the sign for the Wild Ride!” gasps Comet. “If he hits this, we’ve got a new champion!” Wildchild traps Jay in an inverted standing headscissors and reaches back to lock in a double underhook. He then spins around and gets his feet squarely underneath him as he lifts Hawke onto his shoulders. WC looks out into the crowd and releases a primitive growl before he falls backwards…

BANG!

AND PLANTS JAY’S HEAD INTO THE CANVAS WITH THE WILD RIDE!

YEAAAAAAAAAAH!

“Wild Ride!” croaks Comet, as Wildchild rolls Hawke over. “By Zeus, it’s the Wild Ride! And Wildchild’s over for the cover… he hooks the leg… and this is about to be over, folks!” Nineteen thousand in attendance and several fans around the world count along with Red Herrington’s hand as it slaps the mat:

ONE!

TWO!

THREE!

DING! DING! DING!

YEAAAAAAAAAAH!

“He did it!” cheers Comet, barely audible over the roar of the crowd. “He did it! History has been made!” Wildchild collapses onto his stomach as he rolls off the chest of the former champion. Herrington walks over to the cage door and waits for Kivell to hand the International Title in to him. He then walks back over to Wildchild, helping him to his feet as the camera shows Melissa Fasaki streaking back down to ringside.

“History has been made here in the America West Arena!” repeats Comet. “As the Wildchild has brought the record-breaking title reign of Jay Hawke to an end… And here comes Melissa Fasaki back to the ring to help Wildchild celebrate!”

“This is a miscarriage of justice!” snarls King. “Wildchild had to have the deck stacked in his favor to win this match! After failure after failure, for months upon months, it took a match that was designed to allow him to get away with anything just for him to finally be able to beat Jay Hawke! He couldn’t beat the man wrestling, so he had to make it dirty… this makes me sick!”

“Regardless of your personal feelings, King, this one will stand in the record books for all time,” says Comet, “as we get the official word!”

DING! DING! DING!

“Ladies and gentlemen,” booms Funyon, “the winner of this contest…

“And… NEEEEEEEEEEW INTERNATIONAL CHAMPION... THE WIIIIILDCHIIIIILD!”

YEAAAAAAAAAAH!

“Bouncin’ Back” can’t even be heard over the raucous crowd, as Herrington presents the International Championship to its new owner, and raises his hand aloft in victory.

“That was absolutely amazing!” praises Comet, as Melissa helps WC over to the corner. “Both men went all out to give these fans a tremendous match, and you can hear the appreciation from these fans here tonight!” Melissa holds the title for Wildchild as he begins climbing up the turnbuckles, and the America West Arena begins to echo with a chant of gratitude to the two competitors:

THAT WAS AWE-SOME! *CLAP-CLAP! CLAP-CLAP-CLAP!*

“The fans here in the America West Arena are giving a standing ovation to both of these men!” shouts Comet. “Jay Hawke, you have nothing to be ashamed of; you’re the greatest International Champion of all time, and you gave it one hell of an effort tonight… But congratulations to the Wildchild! Perhaps the biggest victory of his career, as he has become the new International Champion! He’s bleeding, and he’s hurt… but he’s got the gold! Folks, we’re going to have to take a brief intermission while we take down the cage to get ready for our next match!”

Jay leaves the cage dejectedly while Wildchild ascends to the top. Once he situates himself on the lip of the cage, he reaches down to Melissa as he reaches up to hand him the International Title. As Wildchild raises the belt above his head, the chants turn to cheers as the fans all remain standing to applaud both wrestlers…

"Wildchild had succeeded where everyone else had failed, cementing his position as one of the brightest stars in wrestling."

Still photo of Wildchild on top of the cage with the belt raised up high

Sixth SWF International Champion: Wildchild

Sign in to follow this