Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kahran Ramsus

Will the NWO be good for the WWF

23 members have voted

1. 1. Will the NWO be good for the WWF

• Yes
    • No

Guest Kahran Ramsus

Feel free to add any specific comments about the NWO.  Personally, I think this will be good in the shortterm, but long-term is a very bad thing indeed.

Guest theWCWRaider

Yeah, I think it will be good at first, the key is maintaining fan interest after the initial bump in the ratings.

I think it will not be a good long term decision, but I'm not going to speculate as to how bad it could be.

Guest Brooding Genius

Eh... it has more potential to do damage than do good.  If it goes too long, it'll be bad; if they keep it to maybe a 4-month angle, I can live with it.

Guest MARTYEWR

Ditto on the "Good for short term, Bad for long term" deal. The nWo angle seems weird and different for some reason, and I hope this is a good thing. The reason being is that instead of it being "The nWo is invading and taking over the WWF", it's "Vince McMahon is inheriting the nWo and threatening his own WWF with it". I don't know how well this strategy will work money-wise, but it's kind of refreshing to see them backing away from the stereotypical invasion-style storyline.

Guest Maurizio C... Version 2

Yes, the NWO will be good for the wwf. the point is: was it necessary? in wcw, the nwo was created because bischoff couldn't use the wwf trademark for an invasion concept angle, so they created the nwo, a clique with former wwf stars.

a few months ago vince had the opportunity to say "nut the nwo, I bought wcw and can give the fans the real thing, wwf vs wcw". instead, he promoted a poor angle with lousy wrestlers. so what's the point of having the nwo when the angle's concept will be the same as the Invasion?

but hey, it will make money since there're Nash and hall, idols of the marks.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

If short term is defined as about 2 weeks of ratings and one ppv buyrate...then put me down with yes in the short term.

Guest Maurizio C... Version 2

you're forgetting w're talking wwf here. keep in mind that, one way or the other, we're still watching vince vs austin... and it started in '97!

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I cannot stress this enough:  Every thing Kevin Nash touches dies.

He almost killed the WWF.

He did kill WCW.

Now he's back to finish off the only major wrestling company in the US.

Just when you though it was safe to watch wrestling...

Kevin Nash II:  Revenge of Diesel.  (The sequel to Kevin Nash: Revenge of Oz)

Guest Tony149

Like others have said, I see the nWo being "good for short-term business, bad for long-term business". IMHO, Hogan has money matches with HHH, SCSA, The Rock and even Vince McMahon. Like 'em or hate 'em, Hall & Nash will be good "short-term" for the WWF's dead tag team division. Hall & Nash probably get the WWF Tag Titles in a month.

If the WWF can find a way to keep the nWo storyline from getting stale quickly and only has 5-6 members in the group, then it can work..."short-term".

Guest MARTYEWR

Hey, if Hogan can get consistently great reactions on his first few appearances, I say get him in the main event and get as much money as possible out of him that you can. Definitely keep Hall and Nash in the tag division though. It'd be a good excuse for the Dudleyz to turn face again and do those in-ring catchphrases which gave them a great reaction a year ago.

Guest JAMES900

If they keep there egos in check and are not given all major titles within 2 months of joining then the NWO should be fine.  And finally we can have the hogan austin match everyone has wnated.  I mean the 2 biggest draws can finally meet, Vince has $$$ in his eyes with that.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I hate Hogan.  He hasn't been able to sustain his pops since like...1992.  A decade ago.  I don't EVER want to see him in the Main Event, because in a perfect world, the main event is the best match of the night.

Hogan and Best Match of the Night are not usually found in the same sentance...

Guest The Vanilla Midget

the nWo will be great for the wwf on a purely storyline level, as long as they continue with this slow build, and dont get membership out of hand.  this will create a "buzz" around the product and hopefully boost ratings, etc which is essentially what vince wants.  thus the returning nwo will be good for the wwf.

however everybody seems to be thinking about backstage elements, and the egos involved.  but as long as the wwf puts out entertaining tv and we dont have a hogan title reign, i dont particularly care if people like bradshaw feel threatened backstage.

i cant imagine that the wwf will repeat the mistakes of wcw and allow the nwo to hold back and destroy all the young talent.  thus, the nwo should definitely be great in the short term, and in the long term? well, thats anybody's guess

Guest Tony149

If the Hall, Nash & Hogan try to play games, the WWF wrestlers should just get together and put them in their place. One would think Vince knows the nWo guys could be in problem in the locker room considering the horror stories about what they did in WCW.

Guest Will Scarlet

I really do not think it will work, and, if it does, it will not work for long.  I do not have much faith in 3 guys who are seemingly past their prime, an angle that seems to be stale by 1998, and, most importantly, a booking team which has screwed up everything they have touched for the past few months.  They could shock me, but I doubt it.

I think the WWF really has to make Raw and Smackdown more complete shows, where nearly every minute is something interesting or important.  The WWF seems to be throwing around a bunch of huge angles, telling people to watch, but, besides the huge angle, what is their to watch?  Meaningless two minute matches? A bunch of stuff which will be forgetten by next week? A tag match featuring four big stars? Hardly the kind of stuff that would make me want to tune in again.

I just feel that, even if the NWO gets off the ground successfully that it will be weighed down by that kind of stuff. I hope I am wrong, but I just see it failing miserably like everything else the WWF seems have done lately.

Guest MixxMaster

I'm looking forward to it, so far.  I feel that they are committed, and have had some time to get the storylines drawn up.  If only they don't jump the gun, considering the ratings haven't been pretty...

However, with the whole basis of the angle being the nWo destroying and KILLING the WWF, how will this be made to seem that real?  It doesn't sound like a "taking control" type thing.  Will things revolve around the belts, ala inVasion, or something else?  Any ideas?

Guest Hogan Made Wrestling

Hogan-Rock Hogan-Austin are dream matches that will do great business if promoted correctly. I'd rather see either of those than a Goldberg match.

Guest Kahran Ramsus

Hogan/Rock & Hogan/Austin would be dream matches if he was 20 years younger.  Why would I want to see it now?  

That's like bringing back Bart Starr in the NFL so you can see him play against Brett Favre.  Is there any doubt who is better at this point in their lives?

Guest Tony149

I don't think Hogan/Rock, Hogan/HHH or Hogan/SCSA are dream matches. Money matches yes.

Guest Dick Hertz

The NWO will spike ratings for the short term, until Vince finds a way to fuck it up majorly, which we all know is inevitable. My prediction is match quality will suffer, but most people wont care or notice. The truth is the WWF needs these "fresh" faces right now because theres only so many times you can see the combination of HHH, SCSA, Rock and Angle fighting each other without saying "who gives a shit".

Guest Judas14
can someone tell me one of the nwo locker room horror stories

OK there was the time that the Outsiders were supposed to job the tag belts to the Steiners at the 1997 Road Wild PPV after MONTHS of building up the feud between the Steiners and the Outsiders and on the night of the PPV the Outsiders outright refused to job the belts and outright forced WCW to change the ending so that the Outsiders get disqualified and keep the belt. Then there were the "Wolfpac Rules" created by Nash to prevent him from having to job the Tag Titles to the Steiners, Nash no-showing Starcade 1997 when he had to job to the Giant, Hall no-showing Starcade 1999 when he had to job the US Title to Chris Benoit, and the list goes on of horror stories that happened....

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Do you think that Hall will be able to control himself when Austin is in the ring drinking beers?

Guest mastermind

I think the NWO will be DIFFERENT for the wwf. It will be better for a few months because as someone said this Angle/Jericho/HHH/Rock/Austin combination is getting just a tad bit played out. Imagine these three guys weren't coming in what the wwf would be doing AFTER WrestleMania. Triple H defending his title against Jericho/Angle/ Regal and whatnot. The thing would be very stale. Imagine the big storyline would be who's the daddy? Now tell me if the wwf wasn't going to suck the big one without the NWO storyline?