TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest wildpegasus

The Wonder Years coming to TvTropolis

"Ladies and gentlemen, give your money to the Telethon! Here to sing 'Everyday of the Week' are the smash group Jade!"

About Wonder Years. I'll never forgive Cooper for sleeping around on Kevin that one (two-parter?) episode where I think she was a lifeguard and he saw her with some dude on the beach. Anyone remember this? I think I might have some of the facts wrong.

She didn't sleep around on him. She just went with whats-his-name lifeguard (I think his name was Chip or Skip or something like that) to a lifeguard party in the woods and kissed him. Her and Kevin weren't supposed to be together. And he wasn't supposed to be at the country club. He impulsively showed up from out of nowhere. And it was Kevin's own fault that Winnie was pissed off at him. Kevin was the one that spread rumors about how he scored with Winnie after she fell asleep at his house, even though he didn't.

Ya know, I just realized that "Boy Meets World" directly stole 72% of thier plotlines from "The Wonder Years".

Guest DRH 502

The Wonder Years had the best and most realistic ending of most any television show I watched when I was young. The dad died, Kevin and Wendy never got back together, etc. but life moved on anyway. When I was young it broke my motherfucking heart to see the final episode...

Guest DRH 502
Ya know, I just realized that "Boy Meets World" directly stole 72% of thier plotlines from "The Wonder Years".

You just realized that?

Well, I didn't just realize it, I just tried to work it in casually without changing the subject with reckless abandon.

As far as the ending, I thought it was really well done and realistic, especially considering that the last episode wasn't supposed to be the last episode of the series and the voice over was tacked on last minute. They got a bad deal with that, I think. Another season to wrap everything up would've been good, but they did a nice job with what they had. I swear, The Wonder Years is like...the greatest show ever. It was melodramatic and sentimental without being maudlin or overwrought. I can name, off the top of my head, the five most sentimental moments that made me cry on The Wonder Years:

1. Winnie breaking up with Kevin on the field trip to the museum and leaving his necklace on the seat.

2. Kevin hugging Winnie in the back of the moving truck when she moved across town.

3. Kevin and Winnie mouthing "I love you." over Bob Seger's "We've Got Tonight".

4. Kevin and Winnie sleeping in the barn in the last episode

5. The one where Winnie's in "Our Town" and Kevin's working the spotlight

My favorite non-Winnie/Kevin episodes are the ones with Mr. Collins, the Math teacher and the one where Wayne's friend Wart comes back from Vietnam and goes crazy.

And uh...maybe someone will find this useful/interesting. I don't know if it's legit.

The Complete Run of the Wonder Years on DVD?

There aren't any "legit" Wonder Years DVDs out there other than a a Best Of DVD, and I believe there is a Christmas episodes DVD also, but both are long OOP.

It's actually September 11th, not 18th.

Off topic of WY but on topic of TVT, I was saddened they are adding Friends to the network. I do not understand the reasoning of adding a show that I could watch on 4 other stations already. Put Perfect Strangers or something like that on.

The Christmas boxed set of The Wonder Years is going for $200 on eBay? Holy shit. I own two of em. I'm rich...somewhat...and I'm probably not going to sell em, so...I'm still poor!

Guest Monty Burns

Wicked, Wonder Years starts up on the Trop on 9/11 weekdays at 1:00pm and 4:30 pm, weekends at 10:00am.

I remember one of the best episodes being where Wayne's (that was Kevin's older brother, right?) friend comes back from Viet Nam. That, and the one where Kevin's family find out his older sister is shacking up with a guy.

The last episode of TWY isn't that great except for the part where Kevin and Winnie are talking in the barn, or wherever the fuck they went to hide from the rain, and they realized that they weren't going to end up together. That was quite a powerful moment.

Is that the same network that runs Billy Ray Cyrus's old show where he's a country doctor with a heart of gold, and that talent show for 12 year olds with 12 year olds as the judges hosted by Joey Gladstone?

In other news, the past few days, I've been rewatching my collection of The Wonder Years on VHS, and it's gotta be the greatest show ever. I'll probably try to retape the series when it comes on again, as my collection isn't in 100% order, as I started taping halfway through the run it had on Nick-at-Nite and had to pick up the first few season when it started showing on the old Nashville Network. Yeah...The Wonder Years...quality programming there. And they had alot of sexy women on that show, too.

Similar situation with another 80s TV show set in the 60s, "Tour of Duty." A lot of times the use of a particular song just *made* the scene, but the DVD release uses generic music Even the opening credits music was changed.

Freaks and Geeks went through a similar situation when they released the entire series on DVD. They were able to get the rights but it pushed the price of one set to about $80.

That's weird. You'd think they'd get something in the contracts covering music rights to future releases. Though I suppose in the '80s with a show like "The Wonder Years" it was hard to be that forward thinking, since new releases on VHS were often $30 or more, and DVD was unknown.

Guest heat

Everyone who is in need for all episodes and has enough bandwidth/time should spy for torrents (if you know what i mean ;)). Got my collection of the imo best tv show ever from there too.