TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

Mega Man ZX ships tomorrow

The good news on this one is that's more in the Metroidvania realm than the other games, and it isn't brutally hard like the Zero games.

Reviews are good, too, although it apparently isn't as good as Dawn of Sorrow (but what is?).

Will be glad to post thoughts when I pick it up. Hopefully that's tomorrow but not until at least the afternoon.

I got it yesterday, but I haven't played yet; I was obsessed with getting 100% in Metroid so I can never play Single Player again. Will play it later; was happy to see that there's connectivity with Zero 3 and Zero 4.

I got it, and it's quite awesome. I honestly don't see why the game *needed* to be a DS release, though, because so far everything the game seems well within the GBA's capability except for maybe the silky-smooth animated cutscenes.

It's like a Mega Man Zero game, without the brutal difficulty (although you can unlock that option), a new cast of characters, and some very Metroid-style ideas and game design.

My EB didn't get it Tuesday. Or Wednesday. So I had to leave my money and preorder slip with my sister while I went to work, and she picked it up for me.

I'm honestly only a half hour-ish into the game, though, so I can't really make many sweeping generalizations about it, but I do love it thus far.

I got it, and it's quite awesome. I honestly don't see why the game *needed* to be a DS release, though, because so far everything the game seems well within the GBA's capability except for maybe the silky-smooth animated cutscenes.

It's like a Mega Man Zero game, without the brutal difficulty (although you can unlock that option), a new cast of characters, and some very Metroid-style ideas and game design.

My EB didn't get it Tuesday. Or Wednesday. So I had to leave my money and preorder slip with my sister while I went to work, and she picked it up for me.

I'm honestly only a half hour-ish into the game, though, so I can't really make many sweeping generalizations about it, but I do love it thus far.

Well, not to spoil it for you or anything, but, and I bet you knew this, there are direct, solid links to the Zero series (besides the blatantly obvious ones).

Yeah, I'm beginning to see that.

Anyway, more I play the more I love this game.

There are warp points, as I expected.

While there *are* pits, falling into one merely penalizes you with a bit of life as your biometal pulls your fat out of the fire and allows you to levitate over to a safe platform.

Oddly for a Metroidvania, there are "lives," though, with the ability to replace used ones, although out of habit I'm not using them at all.

While the game doesn't appear to be pushing the DS' technological limits (honestly, the in-game graphics are probably better in Gunstar Super Heroes GBA!), it seems the game does at least make use of every damn button on the DS, which is great because it feels like an awesome long-lost SNES game.

While there *are* pits, falling into one merely penalizes you with a bit of life as your biometal pulls your fat out of the fire and allows you to levitate over to a safe platform.

What?! Are you playing on Easy? On Normal it's instadeath.

Yeah, I'm planning on taking on normal later. I had serious doubts over the gameplay balance, knowing the Zero team's rep. Taking easy difficulty isn't something I make a habit of.

Why are the save capsules so far away from the boss arenas, though? That's quite annoying.

Yeah, I'm planning on taking on normal later. I had serious doubts over the gameplay balance, knowing the Zero team's rep. Taking easy difficulty isn't something I make a habit of.

Why are the save capsules so far away from the boss arenas, though? That's quite annoying.

The only boss I have actually died at so far is "O" (spoiler name deleted), simply because holy motherfucking optional boss, batman.

Thoth--I assume you finished the game, right?

Is there really any differences between the two characters' games? I started a new Normal game so far with the chick and so far it's only slight dialogue changes.

And wow, Normal isn't brutally hard. :)

However, I have noticed after completing most of the missions, there are blinking sections of the map where bosses have respawned. When you fight them, another boss appears elsewhere.

I thought there was a practical reason for this (like items to get from them or something), but so far I see nothing. So, are those sections of the map blinking just as a warning for the respawns?

And cool...model F lets you customize the direction of the buster!

Thoth--I assume you finished the game, right?

Is there really any differences between the two characters' games? I started a new Normal game so far with the chick and so far it's only slight dialogue changes.

And wow, Normal isn't brutally hard. :)

However, I have noticed after completing most of the missions, there are blinking sections of the map where bosses have respawned. When you fight them, another boss appears elsewhere.

I thought there was a practical reason for this (like items to get from them or something), but so far I see nothing. So, are those sections of the map blinking just as a warning for the respawns?

And cool...model F lets you customize the direction of the buster!

You get different sidequests as Aile or Vent. Re-beating the bosses allows you to level up the armor without paying for it with crystals, assuming you can actually get a higher level than you currently have.