TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy_Victim

PlayStation 3

Guest Queen Leelee
Well my PS2 finally kicked the bucket, well sort of.......a couple of weeks ago I was playing Madden 2007 with some friends and the PS2 was in the upright position and the thing fell over onto the side. The game froze naturally, and I couldn't get the game to work ever since. At first I thought it was just the game, but after further investigation, it is the PS2's DVD player that broke, so I can still play non-DVD games, which pretty much leaves me with crappy options. It's kinda weak how small of a collision with the floor it took to break the player, but then again I am one of the fortunate few to have bought the PS2 at launch and have it still working to this day(well until now).......so umm yeah a 360 or PS3 is coming soon to my house.......

Probably the DVD laser moved out of place, or something like that. It's not too hard to fix, assuming the laser still works.

Or, softmod it and use HDLoader. Which is always recommended with a PS2.

No Final Fantasy XIII Exclusivity for You, PS3

Curious what this'll mean.

Nothing, since there's multiple FFXIII projects, which was announced at the very beginning.

The article implies that the main game won't be exclusive anymore, which is significant, because thats likely the most important one as far as image goes. Pretty soon I won't ever need to buy a PS3.

The "article" is short, spotty, has no quote listed, is inadequately sourced and vague.

Considering that there is another Square story floating around that's based solely on a joke article on some 4th rate site, I'm hesitant to believe it without more detailed info from a more trustworthy source.

"PS3 Center?" Who the **** are they?

It would be an error, at this point, to hold PS3 exclusivity, however...

On Square's part? Most definitely. I don't think you can really pigeonhole 360 gamers as ignint folks who just want to shoot things, or folks who have the system as just a "supplementary" console. Square should be able to see that if they put it on 360, people will buy it (i.e. Blue Dragon).

Assuming the 360 can *handle* FFXIII, of course. ;)

I was joking of course.

I'm sure S-E wants graphics that are sort of like Advent Children but in real time. Wii can't do that. However, if they toned down the visuals it surely could do that and keep the pre-rendered video.

A Final Fantasy-style RPG isn't usually going to be so complicated that the cpu has to be very advanced to calculate enemy a.i. and the area of the world you're visiting.

However, something like Assassin's Creed, or a massive world like the Oblvion overworld--Wii isn't going to be able to handle it without immense sacrifices.

Wii could do Gears of War (at least offline), but it would be *really ugly*.

....I mean, an ugly the creators weren't really going for.

FFXII was pretty huge. If FFXIII is going to be like that, it's doubtful that the Wii would be able to handle it without a huge decrease in visuals. I doubt the Wii will get the main FF game, but I do think they'll get some sort of spin-off.

Um, if the PS2 could do FFXII, Wii could do FFXIII.

In regards to Oblivion's AI...I dunno if that stuff was ever as advanced as they were promising.

It really isn't the visuals that is the problem. The Wii could probably handle it simply by dropping draw distance and taking a little bit off the textures, which really isn't that noticable up to a point.

The problem would be that it would be so taxing on its processor that cooling would become a issue, qhich is pretty much the hold up on alot of games. How can we play this more than 15 minutes without the system overheating.

Again, if it could be done on the PS2, it can be easily done on the Wii. And done a bit better. In case you didn't notice, FFXII looked damn fine for what it was.

FFXIII looks a lot sharper than FFXII, from the limited media that's available. The Wii is very underpowered compared to the PS3 and XBox 360. If Square had to seriously rework the visuals of the game, I doubt they'd go to the trouble.

Not when they can make a crappy spinoff.

Anyone who willingly buys Final Fantasy II again needs a swift kick in the family jewels.

Oh, and...

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/23/final-fa...last-ten-years/

Hashimoto also classified four groups of developers working on four distinct aspects of the Final Fantasy series: the Nova Crystallis group, the Ivalice Alliance (Final Fantasy Tactics, Revenant Wings), the Crystal Chronicles group (that works "exclusively on Nintendo hardware," according to Nintendo Dream) and the MMO-centric Final Fantasy XI group.

Oh joy Nintendo gets an exclusive on Crystal Chronicles?! Gee, thanks.

However, if it uses DS to Wii connectivity similar to how FFCC on GC used GBA connectivity, it might be a hit this time, at least in Japan. That would be really lame, though.

Wow. Risk-Reward I guess? If the game bombs, it'll be a disaster, because who will want the spin-offs then? If it succeeds, they can lazily toss out spin-offs that should sell no problem.

I'm not exactly following you.

I don't think that Square could make a game with the Final Fantasy name on it that's so bad people won't buy it.

Vivi has a fanbase, and lots of folks like FFIX cuz it is old skool style.

(I might have even liked it if so much of the game's basic secrets weren't so arcane and the official guide wasn't that PlayOnline garbage.)

The obvious answer is Final Fantasy II-2.

Guest Smues
Vivi has a fanbase, and lots of folks like FFIX cuz it is old skool style.

(I might have even liked it if so much of the game's basic secrets weren't so arcane and the official guide wasn't that PlayOnline garbage.)

The obvious answer is Final Fantasy II-2.

I don't know what you're talking about with the basic secrets, but I do remember my friend who got the strategy guide hating that PlayOnline crap. If I recall most everything in the guide made you log in to their website to find. I wonder if the website is even still there.

That's exactly what it was. The "secrets" were on the site and you could read them without the book, but it was jumbled up in no apparent order, but you could go to the right section with a code in the book.

So neither the guide nor the site was really a complete guide.

I was on dial up then, as I suspect most folks were at the time. Doubly sucky.

PlayOnline now is just FFXI stuff, and a FFIX Tetra Master guide. So the book is *completely* useless now--just go to GameFAQs.

I don't normally buy game guides--I think with FFIX it was super cheap to get it extra, so that may have been why I got it. I've since sold it, though.

Incidentally, the GameFAQs board for FFIX is still alive and kicking, so I maintain a sequel would have sold well.

Ken Kutaragi has retired!

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6169725.html?...estnews;title;0

I'll miss his crazy comments and loose grip on reality. That said, I don't think this was a very amicable parting, even though he'll still be involved in Sony in some capacity as an adviser. With it taking place at a shareholders meeting, I'm pretty confident this was a preemptive strike because of the relatively poor performance of the PS3 and the PSP in the market, and the shareholders are going to want blood. Ken will be their sacrificial lamb, and rightfully so.

Guest Smues

You didn't mention the most important part

Taking over his position will be current SCEI president and COO Kazuo Hirai, who will be promoted to president and CEO.

Goofy quotes and RIDDDDDGGGEEEE RAAACCCEEERRRR for all!

You didn't mention the most important part

Taking over his position will be current SCEI president and COO Kazuo Hirai, who will be promoted to president and CEO.

Goofy quotes and RIDDDDDGGGEEEE RAAACCCEEERRRR for all!

It's so, so fitting. "$599 US DOLLARS!!"

He's better as an adviser. Kutaragi's an engineer, but as a PR guy he sucks. He's just too boring.

He'll still have a job, though, so I shed no tears for him. There will be lots more ****canning to come at Sony, though.

Guest Smues

Well the essence of the Playstation 3 DNA is real change and the consumers are ready, but I guess Kutaragi was not ready.

Looks like I'm buying a PS3 thanks to EB Games' "trade-in 10 games, get a PS3 for $400" deal. Given that it'll likely be many years until the PS3 is that cheap, I figured I'd be stupid not to buy it.