TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

BCS Rankings 10/15

That girl is so god damned hot.

I can't even concentrate on the argument.

I think... I think I'm gonna move to L.A.

"Edwin, I don't think Arkansas is #6, but I do feel that they should be ranked ahead of the fourth (Auburn, WHO ARKANSAS BEAT) and fifth best (Florida, who was just beaten by Auburn, WHO ARKANSAS BEAT the week before) teams in the country and maybe the sixth best team (Tennessee, who was beaten by Florida, who was just beaten by Auburn, WHO ARKANSAS BEAT two weeks ago) as well. If that means dropping all those teams down, that's fine. If all the legitimate national title contenders from the SEC are ranked below shitty Arkansas that only beat Alabama and Vanderbilt when those teams' kickers choked away game-winners (Are you dense? ARKANSAS BEAT AUBURN, the fourth best team in the country), then that would somehow make West Virginia and Louisville less likely to play in the title game."

Does this make sense to anyone? I feel like I'm missing something here.

You are missing something. You're missing the fact that some people are prepared to validate the weak sauce schedule of either West Virginia or Louisville based solely on the fact that one of the teams, who dominated a weak sauce schedule, will beat the other, who also dominated a weak sauce schedule. There is no reason the winner of West Virginia/Louisville should be taken seriously. Because that would be that team's ONLY QUALITY WIN. There will be no other measuring stick for that game's winner. All you'll be able to say is that they beat an undefeated team, which means nothing based on their schedules.

OK, apparently I need to spell it out for you. Vanderbilt had a game winning FG try to beat Arkansas that their kicker narrowly missed. If Vandy had a little better kicker, they would have beat Arkansas. Alabama had a game winning FG to beat Arkansas in regulation that their kicker narrowly missed and another potential game winner in OT that their kicker missed. The Hogs finally prevailed when the Alabama kicker missed an extra point in the 3rd OT. If those two kickers had performed their jobs decently well, then Arkansas would be 3-3 right now. Arkansas also lost by 36 points to USC. Their win over Auburn was a fluke, predicated on Auburn not taking them seriously and the matchups working out perfectly in favor of the Razorbacks. There's no way that Arkansas can be a legitimate contender for the national title, especially ahead of an undefeated West Virginia or Louisville squad.

If you put Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, and Cal all behind Arkansas, then you pretty much guarantee that an undefeated WVU or Louisville squad does get in since you're putting all the legitimate contenders behind a team that can't possibly get in. You say that the Big East teams shouldn't get on the basis of "one good win" but that's all that Arkansas has, and if you look at the WVU/Louis winner's resume and compare it to Arkansas, there's no way in hell you'll be able to say Arkansas's is better.

These logic chains basically mean nothing anyway. BC lost to NC State this year who lost to Akron who lost to Kent State who lost to Army who lost to Tulane. Does that mean that Tulane's better than Boston College? Of course not. The good thing about this argument is that will be short-lived, as pretty soon Cal's going to beat USC, and then instead of a logic chain, we'll have a logic circle where you can change the order to "prove" that any one team in the chain is better than any other team in the chain.

Portland State University beat New Mexico... I wonder how far we'll be able to logic-chain Portland State up the ladder.

I'm gonna go do some research...

You can actually slide it right on to the edge of my logic chain. Tulane lost to UTEP who lost to New Mexico who lost to Portland State. Hence, Portland State's better than Boston College.

You can actually slide it right on to the edge of my logic chain. Tulane lost to UTEP who lost to New Mexico who lost to Portland State. Hence, Portland State's better than Boston College.

And Missouri and Texas Tech.

Edit:

AND both Colorado and Colorado State... that might actually be true, though.

If you want to go the other way too, Portland State lost to Montana State who lost to Division II Chadron State. A simpler shorter logic chain though is:

Chadron State > Montana State > Colorado > Missouri

Only three games to go from a D-II squad to a Top 25 team. Kinda makes

Arkansas > Auburn > Florida > Tennessee

look a litle credible doesn't it.

Edit: see you got there ahead of me, but I kinda like the side-by-side visual, so I'm going to leave my post up.

That girl is so god damned hot.

I can't even concentrate on the argument.

I think... I think I'm gonna move to L.A.

Dude, I know.

The campus is insane. Girls that look and dress (for about 80% of the year) like that are EVERYWHERE. I tell you what, I guarantee it's a recruiting tool... hell, they signed me!

Iggy, I pretty much agree with you on the circle of logic analysis. My only point in this particular case is that the Arkansas/Auburn and Auburn/Florida games occurred consecutively. As far as Arkansas's close games, let's look at last year... Texas played a cream puff schedule last year and had to survive Oklahoma State, and yet they came out and beat USC in the Rose Bowl for the national championship. USC had a good amount of quality wins and that validated Texas. In my opinion Arkansas's win over Auburn validated them. What I'm saying about West Virginia and Louisville is this: let's pretend that they each play San Diego State in place of their game with each other. Let's say both teams win out. All you can say is that the won every game of an easy schedule. There is no way, under that schedule, that West Virginia or Louisville would be put in the championship game ahead of, say, a one loss Michigan team.

Now, let's talk reality. Outside of the West Virginia/Louisville game, West Virginia and Louisville will have played nobody. So the only thing the winner of that game can say is, we beat an undefeated team. But what does it matter if those wins come against losers? An unblemished record doesn't mean anything when it comes against teams you are supposed to blowout. They will not have beaten a good team, just an undefeated one.

Those Big East teams also have to play Rutgers. Don't sleep. I'll bet one of the two heavies in that conference will fall to the newly mighty Scarlet Knights. I'm more inclined to think it'll be Louisville just because West Virginia can pound that rock with the best of 'em and can match the Rutgers rushing game with that dee-lish 3-3-5 defense.

I'm figuring one thread for discussion about the BCS Rankings is fine for now.

BCS Rankings 10/22

1. Ohio State

2. Michigan

3. USC

4. West Virginia

5. Auburn

6. Florida

7. Texas

8. Louisville

9. Notre Dame

10. California

11. Tennessee