TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

Next gen Naruto! What? It might not suck?!

Licensed games tend to run usually between "meh" and "ech," with the best of them usually getting credited as "good, for a license." I mean, you have publications out there actually giving Godfather, Scarface, and Spiderman 2 great scores! Anime/mangas really fare no better--Dragon Ball games' reps are somewhere between Superman and the Matrix games, for instance.

Despite the vast numbers of Narutards out there ready to buy up anything with the license attached, games featuring the manga/show's characters have been surprisingly good. The Gamecube games are extremely playable and competent, even though the publishers wish to milk the crappier earlier games first. There's also the infamous DS import Jump Superstars.

Well, the Xbox 360 title is actually going to be developed by Ubisoft Montreal. Rather strange, but then again the whole project seems strange: 360 owners don't seem like Naruto demo to me.

This is Ubi "concept art" for the game:

http://www.txmafia.com/bbs/3810/naruto-360-concept-art

Naruto is the cool anime right now so maybe there'll be enough demographic overlap.

I guess it's an action-adventure which bodes well since Ubisoft Montreal were the ones behind Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia, right? The art captures the feel of the series well, at least.

Speaking of I hope they still bring GC Naruto 3 and 4 to America.

Ubi Montreal is the same studio, yeah. However, we don't know who is directing, which staff members are going to be working on it, etc.

It must be very early in development, though. PoP Wii is supposed to be out Spring 07, but this title is only expected to ship "2007" as of now.

It's a North America release only, currently. It's only been announced for 360, but don't count a PS3 release out (it's Ubi, after all).

The 3rd and 4th Naruto games are pretty much assured since it's free money. Clash of Ninja went Player's Choice already and Clash of Ninja 2 is selling well from what I understand. They could slap a "Wii or Gamecube" sticker on them to assure people know of backwards compatibility.

I hear the fighters are actually pretty good. The one that looks like it plays like Smash Brothers looks like it'd be a lot of fun. It's a good universe to build a fighting game around, so hopefully there'll be more next gen.

This new game's concept shots look great, but who knows what that means. It's easy to make good looking renders. Somehow I don't think the finished game will look anything like that.

On a related note, does anyone know if they've finally gotten through the filler in the anime yet? I watched religiously until about the 30th straight filler episode, but now I've given up until they start to advance the main plot again. Naruto filler is just brutally bad.

I'm not sure how when the filler is supposed to end, but apparently Naruto just found out how to do the frog summon right.

And yeah, concept art doesn't necessarily mean much, but darn isn't it nice to look at. Ubi has some fantastic graphic designers/artists. Some of the stuff I've seen in the Warrior Within / Two Thrones guides are ridiculously awesome.

Yeah, I'm just naturally cynical about concept art because developers so rarely deliver anything close to it. Still, that is really beautiful, and Ubisoft knows what they're doing. It gets me excited about the possibilities of an action-adventure game, because I love the Naruto universe. If they can capture the feel of the universe in a game that looks anywhere near that good, it could be amazing. I don't want to get my hopes up too much, though, so I won't be let down, heh.

On a related note, does anyone know if they've finally gotten through the filler in the anime yet? I watched religiously until about the 30th straight filler episode, but now I've given up until they start to advance the main plot again. Naruto filler is just brutally bad.

Haha. Nope, but they've at least acknowledged the main plot recently, so there's some hope it'll end soon.

I never heard of this show untill i started dating my now fioncee.

But i've watched a few episodes and i think it sucks just a little bit. Its got some really cheap animation and the whole thing looks, well, gay.

But the missus loves it and ill have to buy the game so she can play it.