TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anakin Flair

Why can't I play DVD's

So today I bought a Pioneer DVD/CD writer that came bundled witha 30 day trial of Nero 7 Essentials. I spent most of my day buring files to DVD's to get them off of my hard drive, but when I put ina regular DVD to FINALLY view DVD rom stuff I haven't been able to see for years, all of a suden it won't read it and says my trial of Nero is over. IS there somethign else I can install that's free so I can view this stuff?

Guest Princess Leena

Nero should have nothing to do with reading DVD-roms. Try uninstalling Nero, I guess.

So today I bought a Pioneer DVD/CD writer that came bundled witha 30 day trial of Nero 7 Essentials. I spent most of my day buring files to DVD's to get them off of my hard drive, but when I put ina regular DVD to FINALLY view DVD rom stuff I haven't been able to see for years, all of a suden it won't read it and says my trial of Nero is over. IS there somethign else I can install that's free so I can view this stuff?

Your computer has associated your media files with Nero's Media viewer. The easiest workaround is to pop in the DVD, let the computer give you the error and then access the files from your My Computer. You can right click the file and re-associate with any number of handy viewers like WM10 or whatever else you may have.

Did you video card come with a decoder? This is the way DVD movie watching works on the PC. In order to do said thing, you need a decoder. They come in two flavors: software and hardware. Software decoding costs money to buy and it's hard to find on the Internet. Hardware decoder usually comes with your video card. I'm not so sure what happens if your video card is integrated on the motherboard,