TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Craig Th

NBC to turn Thank You for Not Smoking...

From MediaWeek.com

NBC to Turn Thank You for Smoking Into Sitcom

A.J. Frutkin

NOVEMBER 22, 2006 -

Talk about bad PR. NBC is taking the indie film mockumentary Thank You for Smoking, and turning it into a sitcom.

The single-cam series will focus on Nick Naylor, played by Aaron Eckhart in the movie, a spin doctor for big tobacco, who now has opened his own PR firm that handles an array of distasteful clients.

The project is from Smoking producer David O. Sacks, through Room 9 Entertainment and NBC Uni TV Studio. Rick Cleveland (Six Feet Under) will write and exec produce the pilot.

This might actually work.

Horrible idea. That type of humour that movie brought to the table wouldn't fare well with an NBC audience, unless they put it on after The Office which is the only place I could see it doing well.

Yeah, this has failure written all over it. Honestly, while I liked the concept of the movie, even that wasn't done well at all, and in a sitcom format, it's going to be downright terrible. It will be filled with all of the little smirky jokes that aren't really jokes that killed Studio 60.

I've heard worse ideas for movie to TV adapatations. I thought that the movie could have been a lot better, it seemed to try to fit too many things into a 90 minute movie. Great concept but only decent execution.