TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

The 2006 Gooker Award Nominees

It's the beginning of a new year, and you know what that means: time to look back on the past twelve months and reflect.

Reflect on all the absolute CRAP we had on our televisions disguised as pro wrestling!

Yes, kids, it's time to cast your vote for the VERY worst of pro wrestling in 2006 in the form of the infamous GOOKER AWARD! And there was no shortage of garbage looking for your vote! So without further adieu, here is your official list of nominees:

- TNA: The Jackass Promotion: No, we're not talking about Vince Russo! Instead, we're talking about the cross promotion TNA did for the film Jackass 2, which saw the talented X-Division stars do dumb skit after dumb skit, including one in which Senshi mistook a blow up doll for his opponent. Laughs a plenty!

- WWECW: A lot of folks were very excited when WWE announced the relaunch of the ECW brand, thinking that the promotion they loved back in the mid 90's would once again rule the scene. Instead, we got wrestling vampires (named KEVIN - how Goth!), school teachers, and the decimation of nearly every single ECW original, all of which lead to December 2 Dismember, possibly the biggest PPV disaster ever.

- The Tim White Suicide Attempts: Referee Tim White was so distraught with his life that he decided to end it all. So he tried to kill himself. Over and over and over and over and over again. Laughs a plenty! (Sheesh, I'm stealing lines from myself!)

- Shawn Michaels' Partner, THE LORD ALMIGHTY: Just when you thought Vince had run out of stuff to exploit, he finds God...and exploits Him, billing the Almighty in a tag match. It being the Sabbath, God took the day off and no-showed. This angle also introduced us to McMahonism, a religion in which Vince worshipped himself.

- The Exploitation of Eddie Guerrero: When Eddie Guerrero passed away, the entire wrestling world was sad. The fact that WWE decided to take that passion and turn it into a year long angle has turned that sadness into dollars is nauseating. Quite possibly the most sickening lack of respect ever from WWE, and consider the ground THAT covers.

- The Fake Kane: Remember this? No? Then consider yourself lucky! Basically a rehash of the infamous Undertaker versus Underfaker angle from the early 1990's, Kane was taunted by an evil twin...for about a week. Then WWE realized the guy sucked and was never heard from again.

- Vince Russo Presents: The Reverse Battle Royal and A Bunch of Other Crap: Think wrestling is too simple? So does Vince Russo, who has taken over TNA with a bunch of storylines and matches so complex you need a flow chart and abacus to follow them. If inducted, this would include a lengthy diatribe on the infamous three part Fight for Your Right Reverse Battle Royal!

- Big Dick Johnson: Fat Male Stripper: There's nothing like a bulbous stripper to attract that key 18-34 male demographic! At least that's what WWE must be thinking...otherwise, why would they keep carting this lard lad out for our (non) enjoyment?

- The 2006 Diva Search: Seemingly a perennial nominee, every year WWE has a contest that features countless beautiful women prancing around in nearly nothing. And every year, we wind up just wanting these beautifl women wearing nothing off our screens. That takes talent.

- The Punjabi Prison Match: What's better than a wacky cage constructed of bamboo? How about said match featuring the Great Khali? Oh yeah, he wasn't in it. Well, it sucked anyway.

And there you have it. Cast your vote, but cast it carefully: you only get one! Voting ends Friday, January 26, and the winner will be inducted in a gala ceremony on February 3.

So now...choose!

http://wrestlecrap.com/gooker2006.html

As tasteless as the Eddie shit was, I voted for the new "ECW' because of how horribly booked the brand is along with producing possibly the worst PPV in the last 10 years.

As tasteless as the Eddie shit was, I voted for the new "ECW' because of how horribly booked the brand is along with producing possibly the worst PPV in the last 10 years.

Was it that bad?

While far from possibly ever happening, there's always the chance that someone could wake up and say "Hey, we COULD do something decent with that brand!". And then the new ECW will somehow be run correctly and eventually (given time and chances) will maybe become hot and attract viewers and ratings. Of course, Vince will die before that happens, and as we all know, Vince McMahon will never be killed by any conventional means.

However, pissing on a beloved and respected wrestler's memory will not bring him back. Other than Vicky scoring some paychecks from appearing on TV, no other good can come from exploiting Eddie Guerrero's death. I hope this "wins", so that maybe it can somehow send a message to the right people about this type of angle.

Was it that bad?

yes. At least there were good matches during the Eddie thing.

Here's my thoughts:

-I don't watch TNA that much, so I don't have much to say. I'm starting to watch it more though, so I'll probably have more to say next year

-The New "ECW" is a disaster, and I only saw a few episodes before I gave up on it. I honestly think that Vince only brought it back so he can destroy any good memories ECW brought us.

-Tim White as a suicidal depressive didn't piss me off. Plus, it lead to this underrated YTMND.

-Shawn Michaels partner, God. Like you're suprised Vince put himself over God. The whole Shawn vs. Vince feud is one of the worst feuds of the year, and even "McMahonism" couldn't save it.

-Exploiting Eddie. We have a winner! Or loser. This pissed me off to no end, and did nothing for anybody. Sure, Rey became champ, but was a lame-duck champ who jobbed on a regular basis. Randy Orton told us Eddie is in hell. Chavo and Vicky even went along for the ride.

-Fake Kane. It's basically a slightly (I said slightly) less retarded version of the fake Undertaker angle. I think the May 19th angle was worse, though it at least went away and was forgotten. That reminds me, "See No Evil" sucked like I knew it would, but what's really scary is that it was so average, it was actually far from the worst horror movie of the year, or the worst movie. That's saying something.

-Big Dick Johnson. Sucked, but didn't piss me off.

-Diva Search. See Big Dick Johnson and Tim White.

-Punjabi Prison Match. Other than being one of the worst matches of the year, it featured the Great Khali, a guy who's a danger to anyone who wrestles him, and should stay far away from the ring.

TNA: The Jackass Promotion: I didn't really follow TNA at the time so no comment.

WWECW: Strong contender. I knew WWECW would never come close to recreating ECW, but I was looking forward to having Hymen book an hour of TV and seeing up and comers like Punk. I guess I gave Vince too much credit because I would have never envisioned ECW becoming a dumping ground for stale hoss mid-carders.

The Tim White Suicide Attempts: Wrestlecrap, but wreslecrap I found entertaining in a car crash like manner. Plus you actively had to go and watch most of the angle on wwe.com, so not like anyone was unwillingly subjected to it.

Shawn Michaels' Partner, THE LORD ALMIGHTY: I didn’t see the match, but I was kind of entertained by the McMahonism stuff. Plus anyone who’s read HBK’s book knows that religion just turned him into a even bigger pompous asshole. So I was glad HBK and God had to job to Vince and Shane.

The Exploitation of Eddie Guerrero: There is really no way to justify this. And from a storyline aspect, how the hell can Viki be a heel. Not only tasteless, but nonsensical and way too drawn out. It got my vote.

The Fake Kane: Very entertaining Wrestlecrap in my book. I wish it went on longer and had some sort of real resolution. Plus it was really fun to speculate the many ridiculous ways the storyline could have gone.

Vince Russo Presents: The Reverse Battle Royal and A Bunch of Other Crap: I only got into TNA in the past couple of months, but Russo’s overbooking has been insane. Russo will up for another Gooker this time next year.

Big Dick Johnson: Really stupid and annoying, but he’s never on screen for that long at least.

The 2006 Diva Search: I only follow SD via recaps or DVR, so I never subjected myself to this year’s crap.

The Punjabi Prison Match: It was much better than I expected. Wouldn’t mind seeing it again with better workers.

How is VKM not even nominated? That would get my vote for sure. Two has-beens embarrassing themselves with bitter, unfunny skits and not getting any response from WWE. Of course, looking at the list, it looks like the logic might be "well, they're making fun of WWE, so they're not too bad."

And why is the Punjabi prison nominated? There was a lot of intrigue about it, and most people were impressed with concept. The match itself wasn't that good, but if you think it's the worst thing this year, you're nuts.

How is VKM not even nominated? That would get my vote for sure. Two has-beens embarrassing themselves with bitter, unfunny skits and not getting any response from WWE. Of course, looking at the list, it looks like the logic might be "well, they're making fun of WWE, so they're not too bad."

And why is the Punjabi prison nominated? There was a lot of intrigue about it, and most people were impressed with concept. The match itself wasn't that good, but if you think it's the worst thing this year, you're nuts.

I think VKM will show up as nominee next year, but you're right that they should be nominated this year.

I'm calling Rosie-Trump as the 2007 Gooker winner right know. It was so bad that it made pepole cheer for another promotion's wrestlecrap.

Khali himself should have been nomintaed, not the Punjabi Prison.