TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JangoFett4Hire

Re-freezing raw meat

I've always been told that you're not to put thawed meat back in the freezer. I just googled it, and got plenty of

arguments for both sides... does anyone know if it is ok to re-freeze uncooked meat?

We've done it enough times that I can tell you it's AOK, Jango...to a certain point, though. Like, I'll set meat out around 10am with plans to cook dinner around 6, but decide at 4 that we're going to have something else. I wouldn't screw around going any long on that.

I would imagine that it just continuously creates new ice crystals, which, every time it freezes, it cuts up the cells of the meat...

I'm no scientist tho.

It's a big chunk of roast beef. I took it out this morning, so I'd imagine it won't totally thaw until tomorrow sometime. It's like 3 lbs, and I won't be able to cook that whole thing and eat it before it goes bad, and my current girlfriend won't touch red meat so I'm going to cut it in half and put one back in the freezer.

It's a big chunk of roast beef. I took it out this morning, so I'd imagine it won't totally thaw until tomorrow sometime. It's like 3 lbs, and I won't be able to cook that whole thing and eat it before it goes bad, and my current girlfriend won't touch red meat so I'm going to cut it in half and put one back in the freezer.

you should be ok, Jango...

I wish I had seen this thread 3 weeks ago.

Meat, if allowed to completely thaw, should be cooked before its frozen again to protect against bacteria that multiply while thawing since most people dont thaw meat properly (see below). Plus, refreezing and thawing again wrecks the structure of the meat and its going to just be nasty.

BTW, proper thawing techniques:

1) In the fridge - even though it takes longer, this is the safest way to thaw meat

2) Under cold running water - this is faster, but you have to leave the water running and it has to be COLD..you cant just fill a sink up with cold water since the water will warm up and provide a breeding ground for bacteria.

3) Microwave - Id save this for the most dire situations, because it partially cooks the meat as it thaws and wrecks it

4) Those "miracle meat thawing" metal things - they dont work..dont bother

NEVER EVER thaw meat by slapping it on the counter and leaving it out..you're just asking to get sick. And since thawing at room temperature takes longer than under cold running water, theres no reason to do it that way.

I passed my ServSafe Certification Test with a 98%..I know what Im talking about.