TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JangoFett4Hire

Email hacked

So, someone hacked into an old seldom email address of mine and sent out shitty emails to some people in my address

book, other randoms etc. Mean, harrassing emails. A friend of mine told me about it just recently, so I have no idea how long

it's been going on. I've requested that the account be shut down, obviously. Now I gotta worry about mending fences with people

who may have thought that it was me. One thing that concerns me is, is email harrassment considered on the same level

as like prank phone calling? Can I get in trouble if threatening emails were sent out under this address? Spamming? Does anyone know?

Simply put, you will lose your false friends and the real ones will realize it wasn't you and let it drop. So just consider it friend spring cleaning and see who is standing when the dust settles.

The ones who aren't? Eh screw em, easy to replace.

I've had it happen a few times, usually it's some kid who thinks it's funny and nothing has ever come of it. Hell, the one who hacked mine threatened to kill someone in a email. That could have been bad. But they realized it wasn't me since they live in Oregon and it's not like I can drive right over and kill them.

You're ok, but I would recommend changing some of your other passwords in your emails as a safety. Doesn't have to be a major change, just enough. That's how the hacker got into some of my other emails as well.

you should send out a mass email to everyone on your list, clearly laying out the situation, brief apology, etc. If someone doesn't believe you, fuck em, but your real friends and good people will probably understand and realize that it's probably true since the harmful emails probably seemed out of character.

you should send out a mass email to everyone on your list, clearly laying out the situation, brief apology, etc. If someone doesn't believe you, fuck em, but your real friends and good people will probably understand and realize that it's probably true since the harmful emails probably seemed out of character.

Thats probably the best solution.