TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Queen Leelee

Tennis Thread: March.

Guest Queen Leelee

Fuck a writeup this time.

We have Miami and Indian Wells this month.

Federer will win both on the men's side.

Miami is a required tournament on the women's side, and thus has the good field. Despite Indian Wells being 100x the better site.

Discuss whatever you want.

Should we discuss the Dubai finals here? Youzhny is in already after defeating Nadal in the QF and this Soderling dude just a few minutes ago in two rather comfortable sets. Federer is playing later on (I don't remember his opponent's name) but he's pretty much a lock for the finals too, not to mention a favorite for the Championship. Shame that I wanted a rematch of last year's final but with Nadal choking so much as of late it was not to be.

Guest Queen Leelee

Yes, it's March. :P

Yeah, Federer will win.

Also in news, mass controversy in Las Vegas... as the Round Robin format is finally proven to be the dumbest idea in tennis history.

I'll try to explain it as short as possible.

James Blake needed to defeat Juan Martin Del Potro (HOT) in straight sets, and had to lose 5 or less games to win his group, and advance to the Quarterfinal.

Blake was up 6-1 3-1 when Del Potro retired in the match. Thus, Blake didn't qualify for top spot in the group due to not winning enough sets. Which went to Korolev, who previous defeated Blake and lost to Del Potro. Basically, if Del Potro finished the match, Blake would have made the Quarters.

But, now the powers that be put Blake in the Quarterfinal, BECAUSE DEL POTRO DIDN'T KNOW THE ROUND ROBIN RULES. How convenient. I wonder if this would have happened if this tournament was in Moscow, or somewhere not the US.

Embarassing. Stupid. Makes tennis as legit as wrestling.

If there's any positives, hopefully this immediately kills this ridiculous Round Robin stupidity.

I don't really see how that's an either embarassing and/or stupid decision. Stupid rule, maybe, stemming from a stupid tournament format, yes. But the right decision was made.

It's embarassing and stupid because Blake shouldn't still be in the mix. Basically what they decided to do was break the rules so the American draw could remain in the knockout stage of the tourney. You can't just change the rules midstream because you don't like them. It's absolutely the wrong decision. What they SHOULD have done was recognized the flaw and changed the rules AFTER the tournament.

In any case, Federer goes for # 41 tomorrow against Youhzny and given that Mikhail looks great I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he loses in 2 tiebreaks. Justine should beat Kuznetsova for the 14th time in 15 tries (it's so bad that Justine's only lost 5 SETS in their previous 14 matches) as well to add to her trophy case.

Guest Queen Leelee
I don't really see how that's an either embarassing and/or stupid decision. Stupid rule, maybe, stemming from a stupid tournament format, yes. But the right decision was made.

It was simply WRONG. By the rules set, Korolev made the QF. That cannot be changed because we think it isn't fair. Or, more accurately, the biggest draw in the event would be eliminated.

But, anyway, the spot went back to Korolev. Players bitched, and the cheaters didn't get their way.

All in all, tennis fans are the winners here. Bye bye, Round Robin.

Justine wins as easily as suspected over Kuznetsova 6-4, 6-2 for her 31st career title. She should pass 'Pova for # 1 pretty soon.

Federer does the same basically with a 6-4, 6-3 win though he wasted 4 or 5 match points at 6-4, 5-2. In any case it's his 47th title and 41st straight win. If he wins IW again he'll break Vilas' record of 46 straight victories.

Guest Queen Leelee

Maria will keep #1 for a while if she defends in Indian Wells. And considering the other top 10 players entered are Hingis and shitty Russians, that looks likely.

Interesting draw on the mens side, I'll post my quarterfinal picks later today. Interesting potential 2nd round match-up with Davydenko & the Great American Hope, Sam Querrery.

Guest Queen Leelee

If Queer Eye is really America's great hope, we're completely doomed. That's a fun section though, with Safin and Murray.

Blake got Roger in QF... guaranteed drop down the rankings for Sexxy James since he's defending F here last year.

Roger's draw is about as easy as can be... I don't see any chance of him losing here.

Here's my men's Round of 16 picks

Top half:

Federer-Hewitt (Srichaphan had a good run here last year, but I'll stick with Hewitt)

Djokovic-Monfils (I'll go with a dark horse pick here as Blake isn't playing well recently, damn Prince racquets! Knowing my luck since I picked him Gael will lose in the first round.)

Davydenko-Murray (I like Querrery to make a run, and I think Safin could give Murray a good match, but I'll stick to the higher seeds.)

Haas-Gonzalez (Aussie re-match, pretty weak side of the field.)

Bottom half:

Ljubicic-Fat Dave (The Ljubicic-Becker second round match will be exciting)

Niemmenen-Roddick (Gasquet could make a run to this spot too.)

Robredo-Berdych (Baghdatis-Berdych will be a good match)

Youzhny-Nadal (Want to go with Verdasco here, but I'll give you Nadal the benefit)

I won't throw out the 'T' word that people did against Andy Murray in Cincinnati last year, but Federer was probably surprised that Canas would not roll over.

And Leena, I'm glad my prediction about Monfils was a slam dunk!!!

In a shocker, Federer went down to Willy Canas 7-5 6-2 today.

I didn't see the match but I could not fucking believe this when I heard about it. I guess Guillermo Vilas gave Cañas a call thanking him for Federer not breaking his 40-something consecutive winning streak.

Maria will keep #1 for a while if she defends in Indian Wells. And considering the other top 10 players entered are Hingis and shitty Russians, that looks likely.

Bepa KOs 'Pova 6-1 in the 3rd, and Justine will be # 1 again once the next rankings come out. Yay.

I'm still mourning Fed's lost to Canas though. Ugh.

Guest Queen Leelee

Bepa? Someone goes to an awful tennis board.

Roddick might win IW now, blah.

I don't actually know where I saw that but it seems to fit Zvonareva better than Vera does. I wonder if she cried after the victory.

Fear not, RoboRod will find a way to lose to someone he shouldn't. As long as Nadal doesn't win I don't really care who does.

Guest Queen Leelee

Bepa is the Russian Cyrillic spelling of Vera. It makes no sense. It originated at wtaworld.com. We hate that place.

Roger's losses to Canas are baffling. I mean, Willy is a Top 10-ish player and all once he gets a full year of not getting caught with 'roids... but, Roger figured out how to beat those grinders.

Oh, and Serena crushed Maria 6-1 6-1 today. LOLZWOMENSTENNIS2007.

So Fed goes down to Canas again. How about that.

I cannot fucking believe it. After Roger crushed Cañas on that second set I believed revenge was in order, but it was not to be. Cañas played amazingly good, and when Roger missed that volley on the tie-breaker to put Cañas 6-4 I feared the worst. The image of Federer missing that easy forehand for the match will haunt me forever.

What about Roger MISSING the ball on match point?

My theory is that Roger is thinking hard about the clay court season and winning the French open. Thus, he was just not mentally there enough to overtake Canas who is someone who is not going to fold in the least bit, a personality trait that is rare these days. Anyone who saw the second set knows that Federer is capable of crushing Canas just like anyone else, when his game is turned up. I look forward to the French Open.

Andy Murray will win this title, I think.

Guest Queen Leelee

I think it's a case of the odds catching up with Roger...

He's won a crazy amount of close sets in the past 3 years, and a good number of 3rd set tiebreaks. While there's no doubt that Roger is incredible and dominating, he's not THAT dominating over the huge depth of the tour to have the record he has.

I assume we're going to get the dreaded SLUMP crap when Roger also likely gets shutout during clay season.

Then, Wimbledon, and everyone will pay.

Guest Queen Leelee

The actual reason is... well, look at her. She's enormous. She was downright fat in Australia. And WON A FUCKING GRAND SLAM. While being incredibly rusty. Most of my hate is for the entire WTA. Which is pathetic for many reasons that we won't get into now because this rant would go on forever.

It's not that I hate Serena. She's a very talented gal. But, please either 1) be serious about your tennis career, which would ensue in her destroying all the record books or 2) go "act" or be a ho, or do whatever you want to do. This part-time shit isn't good for anyone.

Well anyway, Roddick retires, Murray advances to the semis, and we should have an AO rematch with Nadal. That could be fun.

Guest Queen Leelee
You say "enormous" like it's a bad thing...

I'm not understanding how Serena winning is bad for tennis.

For the casual fan, most have no complaints. Because most don't know any players other than the Willies' and the occasional hot girl.

For hardcore tennis fans like me, it's depressing. I follow hundreds of girls who work their tails off trying to get any wins they can, and build a career. And then, fat ol' Serena decides to get off her lazy ass whenever she feels like it and can crush all of them. Serena knows she can get away with it. It's not enjoyable seeing these hard-working year-round players completely fold against Serena.