TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NoCalMike

28 Weeks Later

Saw it twice this weekend - I went with one set of friends on Friday, and then another who hadn't seen it yet on Saturday. I thought it was pretty well done. It wasn't better than the first, but it was up there in terms of sequels. I'm just glad it didn't suck. Reports are floating around that "28 Months Later" is already in pre-production...!

I hope they re-use the Godspeed You Black Emperor! song they used in the first when Gleason got capped by the army dudes right after getting infected. That song amped up what was already a fucking intense scene.

I was also hoping for a repeat of "East Hastings" but it wasn't in there that I noticed. Such a good track! That entire album 'f#a#infinity' is amazing.

They did use the "In a Heartbeat" track from the first where Jim went apeshit on the army blokes and let some infected in. Damn good movie, but lord was it depressing. There were some slight moments of whimsey at least in Days, with the supermarket and all that. This was just...gah. It reminded me of Aliens. Once the bad starts it just doesn't let up for a second.

Saw it last night, loved it. Worthy sequel indeed. Very similar directing styles, the new music worked and the music they recycled from the first one was placed where it needed to be. Not as good as the first one but I wasn't expecting it to be. The farmhouse scene at the beginning is a hell of a way to start a movie off. Minor quibbles being......

The very last guy to die before Don makes it to the boat gets puked on by the very first girl to go when she gets infected but the dude doesn't turn, which is bullshit considering the exact same thing happened to one of the soldiers in the first one and he turned. Also, like the rest of you I thought Don tracking his kids down with the skill of a Navy S.E.A.L was a bit silly. Ending shot of all the infected running towards the Eiffel Tower was sweet. In 28 Days Later when Selena and Mark are telling Jim how the outbreak happened they said that before the news stopped broadcasting there were reports of infection in Paris and NY so I'm very interested to see how the third plays out.

The very last guy to die before Don makes it to the boat gets puked on by the very first girl to go when she gets infected but the dude doesn't turn, which is bullshit considering the exact same thing happened to one of the soldiers in the first one and he turned.

I think it has to get inside your eyes or your mouth or anywhere there's a membrane that can absorb the virus, though. From what I remember she didn't directly spew on that guy, but I could be wrong. I saw it twice, but I still can't remember 100% since it all happens so fast.

;)

Update on the sequel...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/news/1653341/

On his press tour for Sunshine, Boyle reported that he's got some hopes to work on another sequel: 28 Months Later. "I did have this other idea," Boyle said. "I don't know whether it'll happen or not...the third idea has more to do with Russia but that's all I can say."

Bollocks. That's what this flick is: Bollocks. Outside of the dad, I didn't think a single person was even decent at making me believe what was going on was real. The only part I really enjoyed was the special features on the graphic novel, that is the story of the two doctors developing the virus accidentally (that 5-minute short was more interesting than the movie itself) and the story of the two London survivors at war with each other and how one of them realizes that the Infected are drawn to us via the smell of our perfumes and deodorants was pretty cool, too.

I didn't care for it too much, really. I was expecting the adventure and the bits of catharsis that the first one gave me. What I got was barely 90 minutes of being told that British people are fucking idiots that will destroy themselves while American forces are just trying to help. The dad was an idiot for

not only not trying to save his wife, but also for breaking into a quarantined zone to see his infected wife

, the kids were dumb

for not understanding that it took ONE person with the virus to spread it so far as to take down all of England, and thus allow the virus to get back into the compound when they found their mother alive

, and not to mention

the complete lack of mass carnage that the Infected could wreak that wad capitalized on

. Bollocks. Disappointing sequel no matter how you cut it.

I know you're a big zombie connoisseur and all, but "they were STUPID" and "they were DUMB" is kind of missing the point of why they all made those decisions. Great movie, more chaotic and maybe even better than the first. I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

I liked it more than 28 Days Later. I think a lot of it had to do with the theater experience. I didn't see 28 Days in theaters and was bored to tears, but this one kept my interest the whole time when I saw it on the big screen...or maybe 28 Days really is just boring.

I liked it more than 28 Days Later. I think a lot of it had to do with the theater experience. I didn't see 28 Days in theaters and was bored to tears, but this one kept my interest the whole time when I saw it on the big screen...or maybe 28 Days really is just boring.

I agree. This movie was more of an action flick overall. Not to say that Zombie movies really aren't just action movies underneath it all. Just saying is all.

Not sure about the "people are dumb" points. Aren't all people in horror movies pretty much dumbasses who make bad choices?

I didn't see either at the theater so I don't have that "theater experience" to describe here, but I thought 28 Days was easily better. The sequel felt like it really didn't have a coherent center to it. I suppose it could be the kids, but this isn't really apparent until almost too late into it to care. Whereas the first one at least had Cillian Murphy and the two chicks as the flat out main characters that we're into the whole time.

I know the fast moving zombie is an en vogue thing, but I prefer the standard slow zombie. The slow, standard zombie lends itself to way more moods, tones, and so forth (chills, humor, gore). The fast zombie gives us basically the same rapid editing chase and fighting and may as well be Jason Bourne vs. The Infected.

For the most part, yes. Which is why I don't care for most horror these days. There's a difference between acting on instinct and, say, investigating a weird noise in the dark woods as opposed to knowing that your life is in danger if you walk outside of a protected area and do it anyway. One's instinctual ignorance, the other is blind stupidity. And most of the characters in this movie were flat-out stupid. I cannot say that I liked a single character, save for maybe the sniper and the Medical chief. Those were the only two likeable characters in the whole movie,

and they die rather anti-climactic deaths

. Sure, it's nihilistic, as are almost all apocalyptic flicks, but why not make

their deaths more meaningful than cheap shocks to keep you on your toes

? I couldn't root for the kids at all. At ALL. They helped cause the outbreak, so why should I care if they live or die? Give me somebody, SOMEBODY to empathize with.

I know that everybody's entitled to their own opinion but damn if you can't like this movie than I don't know what..this movie was so badass..the perfect mix of horror with action..aside from the Don thing this is what it would be like to deal with fucking zombies or rage infected humans..from the brutality of

Don beating his wife to a mess and the gassing and flamethrower death

this movie was simply brutal...

I did see an idea for a prequel simply called 28 Days in which the outbreak is covered..I thought that would be badass

.. the Sandra Bullock jokes may now begin...