TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Corey_Lazarus

New England Metal and Hardcore Festival

FRIDAY, APRIL 27, 2007

HEADLINERS: Dimmu Borgir, Behemoth, Bury Your Dead, Devil Driver

OTHER BANDS: Walls of Jericho, Kataklysm, 3 Inches of Blood, Still Remains, Skinless, All Shall Perish, The Human Abstract, 100 Demons, Nora, Despised Icon, Abigail Williams, Nachtmystium, xDeathStarx, Daath, December Aeteralis, Merauder, Suicide Silence, Death Before Dishonor, Ligeia, Pale Horse, Kylesa, The Devil Wears Prada, Bloodlined Calligraphy, Stick To Your Guns, Skeleton Witch, As Blood Runs Black, Beneath The Massacre, Faceless, The Funeral Pyre

SATURDAY, APRIL 28, 2007

HEADLINERS: Unearth, Cannibal Corpse, The Black Dahlia Murder, The Red Chord

OTHER BANDS: Job For A Cowboy, Lizzy Borden, God Dethroned, Impias, Goatwhore, I Killed The Prom Queen, 3, Shai Hulud, Since The Flood, Demiricous, Celladoor, Hallows Eve, Beyond The Embrace, The Architect, Animosity, Psyopus, If Hope Dies, Gaza, Absence, Forever In Terror, Apiary, Sons Of Azreal, The Destro, The Network, Epicurean

Tickets for one day are $35, and a 2-day pass is $65.

Personally, I'd go to day 2. The headliners are better (Unearth, Corpse, and Black Dahlia are fucking great), and outside of Skinless, Merauder, and Kataklysm...there isn't really a band I'd pay to see on the first night. The second night has Beyond the Embrace and Shai Hulud, who alone are worth the admission (I need a Zombie Apocalypse shirt so I can get up front for Shai Hulud and scream at the members in ZA to tour), and Job For A Cowboy is the MySpace metal band (as in their fame comes mostly from MySpace and shows as opposed to album distribution). So yeah. I may get a 2-day pass if I can afford it, just to see Kataklysm, Skinless, and Merauder on the first night and then stick around for the headliners the second.

Also, THE HAUNTED, DARK TRANQUILITY, INTO ETERNITY, and SCAR SYMMETRY this Friday night at the Palladium. GO, YOU FUCKERS!

I actually just listened to Lordi and Daath last night (MusicChoice OnDemand at my girlfriend's mother's house). Lordi sucks. Gwar rip-off costumes with the pyro of a Kiss concert, and lame-ass cock rock. I don't mind lame-ass cock rock when it's done right (I fucking love Flipp and dig Kiss, and I can't think of many songs from the Crue, outside of the shit from Generation Swine and the one album without Vince Neil, that I don't like), but...yeah.

Daath is a perfect representative of what's wrong with death metal nowadays. The Gothenburg style produced some solid music and some solid bands, and it influenced a plethora of top bands who have had at least one very good/great album, but...it's all the same. Death metal was meant to be dangerous and brutal, and now most bands that can be labelled death metal are playing what is essentially power metal with growls over it. That works for, say, Children of Bodom (or at least it DID work for them until everybody caught on that they've recorded the same album over and over) and Arch Enemy, but...yeah. Bland, bland melodic death. The kind of band that I wish Chuck Schuldiner could come back from the grave to smack across the face.