TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

The Red Star: Ready for release!

Coming soon: The dead rising from the grave, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- Mega Man Anniversary Collection for GBA?!

And it appears from 1up's review that it's pretty darn rad.

It's supposed to drop today/tomorrow-ish but I haven't seen it yet (although Raiden III is out on PS2), but I have an order in the works from Amazon.

Anyone else get to play this title back when it was available to try as a demo playable on xbox?

Well, I've played through a few levels now...so far, it's pretty good. The biggest thing I can say against it is what all the other people have said as a gripe: no mid-level checkpoints. The game also can get really cheap in some sections. For example, I was fighting a mini-boss who fires continuous streams of lasers in varying patterns that hold for a few seconds, and then switch to a new pattern. This was fine, until they started sending out peons to attack me while I was doing this, who are immune to gunfire, and they can freely walk through the lasers. So, to get them to stop shredding you from the sides while you dodge lasers, you need to attack them with a melee attack, but once you initiate the attack, you're stuck going through the animation, at which point your character has moved in front of the laser blasts...rinse, and repeat. Things like that can be a real drag, but otherwise, I'm having a lot of fun with it.

I got the game yesterday but waited until today to play it, so I could do coop with a friend. We got up to mission 5 before we started having trouble, although we'll be giving it a go a bit later. The game is a total blast. The graphics aren't very good (2 years hasn't been kind at all to the visuals), but it was a total blast. I like how things keep changing up a little--one area a typical side view, another an overhead contra-style view, the boss battles where you end up weaving through bullet patterns like an old-school shmup (just easier). Just terrific fun all around. Well worth every penny, IMO.

It's quite a lot like Cannon-Spike, really, but better IMO.

Yeah, it is a lot like Cannon-spike. It is fine co-op, I have not played single player but I imagine it is a lot less fun that way. It is pretty easy for the first few levels then becomes a lot more difficult.