TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest raptor

Reviews 6/12

Guest raptor

Ultimate Spider-Man #1/2

Creators : Brian Michael Bendis, Mark Bagley

Auxilary Facts: Wizard Magazine Exlusive, 1st Appearance of Ultimate Iron Fist

Plot: J. Jonah Jameson holds a meeting with his staffers to discuss the front page of the new Daily Bugle. Ben Urich tells the story of a robbery foiled by Spider-Man, and we are introduced to Danny Rand, the Ultimate Iron Fist, in the most unlikely of ways.

Comments: The reason I love Ultimate Spider-Man is the fact that Bendisis very adept at showing Spidey’s real-world flaws. In this story, Peter is shown to be as fallible as the rest of us in the way he handles the robbery situation (very poorly, in hindsight). In the case of Danny Rand, it also shows a new fascet to  the superhuman experience. I’m also enjoying the way that all Ultimate universe books have been subtly carrying the mutant hysteria. This is major fluff (as is the case with all Wizard #1/2s), but it was definatley worth three bucks, and is really a nice issue for all Ultimate Spider-Man completists. ***1/2

X-Treme X-Men #14 (All or Nothing)

Creators: Chris Claremont, Salvador Larroca

Auxilary Facts: R: Vargas, IR: Lifeguard

Plot: Bisho, Sage, Lifeguard, and Thunderbird III continue their suicidal mission to rescue their leader, Storm. Back in Madripoor, the two remaining X-Men (Slipstream and Rogue) try their best to save the island’s people (and Gambit) from complete anihalation. Finally, Rogue is confronted by the enigmatic Vargas. He’s already killed one X-Men, and wounded another. Does a pyschologically warped Rogue even stand a chance?

Comments: One of the reasons I’m beginning to enjoy New X-Men more is the fact that I can still read the X-Men adventures I grew up loving in this title. It’s spandex superheroics at its finest. Plus, Claremont is really beginning to use Rogue (one of my favorite characters) in the right manner. All the common Claremont flaws are here however, as the wordiness continues to plague any action this title is trying to present. ***

Spider-Man: Blue (Book Two: Let’s Fall In Love)

Creators: Jeph Loeb, Tim Sale

Auxilary Facts: None

Plot: Loeb and Sale’s tribute to “the Gwen Stacy” era continues, as Peter meets Mary Jane for thr first time, fights the Rhino, and gets stalked by an shadowy figure, all while lamenting his love for Gwen Stacy.

Comments: I’m still not sure how to feel about this series. The writing and storytelling continue to be exemplarary (which is good for a better than average rating), but it’s held back by the fact that Loeb isn’t saying anything new. I enjoy it because I love Spidey, and this era in particular, but I’d like to be told somehing new, like their Batman and Daredevil series. ***

The Filth (01. us vs. them)

Creators: Grant Morrison, Chris Weskon

Plot: We are introduced to the world of The Filth, where nothing is as it seems

Comments: Okay, so I picked it up. Was I impressed? Yes. Was it good? Not neccesarily.  Now, don’t flame me. It shows a lot of promise, but as far as opening issues go, it was a little lackluster. I know Morrison’s style is a very cerebral one, and this confusing issue will probably become more clear later. I will continue to pick this up, however, as it has me intrigued. **1/2

The Punisher #13 (A Good Clean Fight)

Creators: Garth Ennis, Steve Dillon

Plot: At the insistance of Det. Soap, The Punisher journeys to South America. His objective: save a mafia don in hopes of preventing an all-out mob war.

Comments: Thank god for Ennis and Dillon. The last storyline showcased a good Punisher, but wasn’t a good Punisher story. This however, has all the fascets of a good, if not cookie-cutter, Punisher story. Hopefully, it’s back to basics for good. ***1/2

Angel #4 (Long Night’s Journey Part IV of IV)

Creators: Joss Whedon, Brett Matthews, Mel Rubi

Auxilary Facts:o: Angel (expanded), IR: Perfect Zheng

Plot: With Angel in the hands of Perfect Zheng, it’s up to Gunn to rescue him. While Gunn faces Zheng on a blimp high above Los Angeles, Wesley and Cordelia are faced with Zheng’s horrifying henchwoman. Also, Zheng reveals startling information behind his and Angel’s connection.  

Comments: I’ve always though that a comic tie-in series should add something new to the properties’ mythos. Angel delivered, and delivered with a bang. Having Joss as co-writer allowed this series to take place in offical canon, and is able to reveal the ultimate shocker. Fans of the show, or of Buffy, need to at least pick up this issue. ****

Sabretooth: Mary Shelly Overdrive #1 (of Four)

Creators: Dan Jolley, Greg Scott

Auxilary Facts:1st: undead d army

Plot: While on a routine mission, Sabretooth is thrust into a conflict with an undead army.

Comments: I missed the old Sabretooth. The Sabretooth that would gut you as quickly as look at you, the heartless assasin who kills for fun. I was hoping this series would be an examination of the killer within him, “his monster.” No such luck, as although the heartless Sabretooth makes an appearance, he is thrown into the role of unlikely hero by issue’s end. There is a lot of good here, however,  and signs that we’ll have the old Sabretooth back at some before the conclusion. ***

Ultimate Spider-Man Super-Special #1 Uber-Book of the Week!

Creators: Brian Michael Bendis,(deep breath) Alex Maleev, Dan Brerton, John Romita Sr. (w/ Al Milgrom), Frank Cho, Jim Mahfood, Scott Morse, Craig Thompson, Michael Avon Oeming, Jason Pearson, Sean Phillip, Mark Bagley (w/ Rodney Ramos), Bill Scienkewitz, P. Craig Russell, Jacen Burrows (w/ Walden Wong), Leonard Cook (w/ Terry Pallot), Dave Gibbons, Mike Gaydos, James Kolchalka, David Mack, Bret Weldeles, Ashley Wood, Mark Bagely (w/ Art Thibert)

Auxilary Facts: 1st: Ultimate Blade, Elektra A: The Ultimates, Doctor Strange, X-Men, Daredevil, Black Widow, Punisher, Fantastic Four.

Plot: Spider-Man deals with his doubts about his abilities, and learns what it means to be a hero.

Comments: Remember last week when I said (in reference to Uncanny X-Men #407) that there were better character studies on the racks? Well, I’ve found one. Bendis has crafted the essential Ultimate Spider-Man tale, no small feat looking at the past issues of the series. The art is all stunning, and perfectly suited to each character (FrankCho’s Elektra=Hubba Hubba). The message behind the story is equally impressive, without going overboard on cliches, or sentimentalities. GET IT, OR GET CANCER~ *****

Guest Vyce

I agree about Ultimate Spider-Man Super Special.  It's my "uber book" of the week.

I also recommend Midnight Nation #12, the final issue.  Kind of a sad issue, a bittersweet finale (even though this wasn't a series that could have THAT happy of an ending), but rewarding.  JMS is a fave of mine, no doubt.

Guest raptor

Have you heard if Midnight Nation is getting the TPB treatment? I've found JMS hit-or-miss, but have heard nothing but good about MN.

Guest Vyce

I believe that yes, there will be a Midnight Nation TPB, but I remember hearing that it would be a while in coming.  You'll probably have to wait until the fall or the latter part of the year.