TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Richard McBeef

CICADA BROOD 13 IS JUST 12 INCHES AWAY.

WTF they're coming out again? It hasn't been seventeen years since we were last invaded, since our nights were filled with their alien mating call :angry:

It's not always exact and there are multiple groups of these things. Apparently what invaded a few years ago were broods IX and X.

Thankfully we don't have to deal with this. Enjoy your chirping cicada swarms.

Sorry Leena, I think AZ is too hot and NY too cold. You probably didn't run into these nasty bugs.

But they're these huge insects that stay underground for seventeen years at a time and then all surface at once and mate like mad. Because they're only around one year in seventeen, they're effectively out of the food chain, so there is never enough predators to eat ALL of them.

Because of this, they are the dumbest bugs you'll ever meet, and they have practically no defenses at all, or even survival instinct. They won't get out of your way, they'll fly right into you, thinking you're a tree, try to climp to your head and start buzzing.

And they are LOUD.

Ugh.

Guest Richard McBeef
WTF they're coming out again? It hasn't been seventeen years since we were last invaded, since our nights were filled with their alien mating call :angry:

No, this is just Chicagoland, southeast Wisconsin, and eastern Iowa, I think. Looks like you're in Brood 14.

Guest Queen Leelee

Ah, I see.

I remember them from some golf tournament. They're incredibly annoying.

Guest George's Box

My grandmother's house is near a forest preserve, so it was perfect for cicadas today. There was a whole tree covered in exoskeletons. I saw a few shed their shells, another one come out of the ground, and a few of them flew into me. One sat on my arm for a long time.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I went poking around my parents' yard the other day. Haven't seen any yet, but it's still fairly early in the summer.

I'm in the 10 area.

I was down in the DC area three years ago when the cicadas were out. They are indeed the dumbest creatures on this Earth. One got flipped over on its back in front of my Uncle's house and couldn't get itself upright the entire weekend I was there. I was in the Chicago area last weekend and I saw a girl in a T-shirt hyping the "Glyn Ellen Cicada Invasion 2007."

Guest George's Box

Glen Ellyn. You flipped the letters. The western suburbs are supposed to have the most, from what I've been told. They're really heavy out in Hinsdale, where my aunt's family lives.

I guess I have to ask my cousin how things are out there right now. They were yet to surfice as of the weekend of the 18th to 20th.

Ugh, if these things come back to MD I might move.

Guest George's Box

They have now begun to emerge in my own backyard. They're all over the trees. This is awesome. I should fry 'em up.

Guest George's Box

They're very much edible. They're high in protein, and when fried, are reputed to taste like peanuts. I'm not sure if I'm going to feed any to my cats, though.

I was cutting the grass in the back just now, and the trees are even more covered in shells than last time I checked. It's eerie. It's like something stole their souls. Anyway, we have a big hedgerow separating our backyard from the retention pond, and as I was turning around, I looked over at one of the bushes and the whole thing was just covered in cicadas, one of which was an albino, just walking around on leaves. Freaked me out. Also, the mating call is in full force (I hope this is full force), as there's this vague low dial tone sound coming from all sides.

The sound is what got to me the most when they were over here, the persistant call of the wild. A little eery, or at least would be if they weren't complete bug R-tards.