TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
chirs3

My laptop is clicking at me.

IBM Thinkpad. Hell if I remember what year, I think it's about 3 or 4 years old.

It's been working fine since I got it, but just now it started clicking at me. Not sounds out of the speakers, but stuff moving around in there. Every time I turn it on, "click click click". And now it says no hard drive or OS has been installed.

Any ideas how I can fix this?

If I had the Windows disc, I would. I bought this off Ebay, don't have whatever it is I need to install it.

IBM tech support is useless - shocking, I know. Tried removing then reinstalling the harddrive, no luck - and it sounds like the clicks are coming on the opposite side, so I'm not even sure the problem is the hard drive.

A few more details:

I turn it on, clickety click click, goes through the motions for about ten seconds, then I get an error saying:

Hard drive not installed.

If operating system not found,

re-install hard drive.

Hit any key to exit.

Pressing any key takes me to a black screen, where the following info repeats over and over:

Intel® Boot Agent Verision 4.0.17

Copyright © 1997-2001, Intel Corporation

PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.

Operating System not found

you need a new hard drive...this happened to my thinkpad twice. First the system froze, then the clicking started, then the blue screen of death. Shut it off, turn it back on, it clicks then goes to the screen you described. Got new hard drives, reloaded everything, back in business.