TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GreatWhiteNope

NWA World Title Tournament

http://www.gerweck.net/news/1179871648.shtml

NWA World Title Tournament Announcement

Dr. Keith Lipinski - Tuesday, May 22 2007 - 6:07 PM

Charlotte, NC (May 21, 2007) – The National Wrestling Alliance® is pleased to announce the following participants and locations and the first round match ups for “Reclaiming the Glory: The NWA™ World Heavyweight Championship Tournament presented by Big Vision Entertainment.” The tournament will take place at events across North America and begins Saturday June 2, 2007 from three (3) locations.

Saturday June 2, 2007

Cornelia, GA – www.nwa-wildside.com

CHAD PARHAM Vs. “MR. MID-ATLANTIC” DAMIEN WAYNE

Thayer, MO – www.cswwrestling.com

AARON AGUILERA Vs. “SCRAP IRON” ADAM PEARCE

Salyersville, KY – www.nwabluegrass.com

“SHOOTER” BRENT ALBRIGHT Vs. OSAMU NISHIMORA

Saturday June 9, 2007

Phoenix, AZ - www.risingphoenixwrestling.com

FRED SAMPSON Vs. GLAMOUR BOY SHANE

Saturday June 16, 2007

Vancouver B.C., Canada – www.eccw.com

“THE BOMBER” NELSON CREED Vs. “THE AMERICAN DRAGON” BRYAN DANIELSON

Danvers, MA – www.necwwrestling.com

PEPPER PARKS Vs. CLAUDIO CASTIGNOLI

Saturday June 30, 2007

Lebanon, TN – www.nwatop-ropewrestling.com

ROUGHNECK RYAN Vs. SICODELICO, JR.

Quincy, MA

MIKEY NICHOLLS Vs. FERGAL DEVITT

The NWA™ Board of Directors selected the participants and Executive Director Robert K. Trobich will supervise the tournament. For more information about these events and the NWA™ please visit nwawrestling.com.

Youtube.com announcement

Watch the YouTube announcement. The NWA's theme music is a MIDI file of Lord Steven Regal's old music. Aww.

"revive the title" lol. The title has been dead for 16 years, bro. No one cares when it was on national TV once a week and PPV once a month, much less now that it'll be defended in local gyms and random Japanese tours.

I didn't indicate it would make it a major title. I was nodding to the fact "NWA Title" has been dormat for years and not being stuck around TNA would erase that.

“SCRAP IRON” ADAM PEARCE

Why does this guy seem to get big pushes on the indy scene? I've seen him wrestle a couple times in local indys around here, and he did nothing to impress me. I guess he has a decent look, but he was totally bland in the ring. Maybe he's improved in the last three or four years, though.

“SCRAP IRON” ADAM PEARCE

Why does this guy seem to get big pushes on the indy scene? I've seen him wrestle a couple times in local indys around here, and he did nothing to impress me. I guess he has a decent look, but he was totally bland in the ring. Maybe he's improved in the last three or four years, though.

He's really strong on the mic and he's got an old school sort of style that seperates him from a lot of the indy scene. His run in PWG was really good and he won people over a lot quicker than I expected him to in Ring Of Honor. I think I heard somewhere he was being touted by ECW for a while in 2000ish, dunnoy whether that's true, but he's got credentials.

I absolutely love the NWA's presentation. Old school feel, without feeling outdated.

Don't be surprised to see Devitt atleast make the second round. He's considered an NJPW affiliated worker now, so NJPW will probably take some interest in this tournament. NJPW don't play too well with others either.

I think Danielson is the easy pick for this, which would be the best move. I think Danielson would take pride in being the champion, and with his profile around the world he'd give the title back some credibility.

I absolutely love the NWA's presentation. Old school feel, without feeling outdated.

Don't be surprised to see Devitt atleast make the second round. He's considered an NJPW affiliated worker now, so NJPW will probably take some interest in this tournament. NJPW don't play too well with others either.

I think Danielson is the easy pick for this, which would be the best move. I think Danielson would take pride in being the champion, and with his profile around the world he'd give the title back some credibility.

Just imagine a show with the GHC, ROH and NWA World Titles defended on the same show. It's very much possible if Danielson or even Albright takes the title.

Just imagine a show with the GHC, ROH and NWA World Titles defended on the same show. It's very much possible if Danielson or even Albright takes the title.

The NWA would be smart to take this opportunity to establish a relationship with Ring of Honor. Get the NWA title on a RoH pay-per-view, that'll help both companies in the casual fan's eyes.

The NWA would be smart to take this opportunity to establish a relationship with Ring of Honor. Get the NWA title on a RoH pay-per-view, that'll help both companies in the casual fan's eyes.

Totally disagree. In the US, the NWA title has to remain a top title. You could not realistically have the ROH title, NWA title and maybe the GHC title (Could be a DG belt if DG remains in the triangle) on one show without at the very least ONE of the titles coming out looking second rate. If the NWA were to work with ROH, the deal would most likely be that any NWA title defense would have to be the main event, which would be a smart move. If Gabe could keep two world titles strong at the same time, then he should do it by all means...but he should NOT sacrifice his title or the NWA title's meaning for the sake of the other.

The only way I could ever see all three titles being defended on the same show would be if it was in Japan. Multiple reasons, the biggest being that NOAH wouldn't fuck around. The GHC title would be the main, followed by the NWA title, then the ROH title, which would be prime for everyone. The GHC is easily right behind the Triple Crown and IWGP as the most important title in Japanese Pro-Wrestling, the NWA name is still HIGHLY regarded in Japan and the fans would eat up a defense, and ROH would get their name further thrown into the Japan mix by being put in the mix of a huge ass show which would raise the title's values in Japan, which is a market ROH wants to break into due to the fundamental similiarities between their product and the market.

Anyway, that's off topic. The only person who should win this championship tournament is Danielson. Anyone else is a mistake, and won't work like they want. They want a champion who can rebuild the image of the title and Danielson is the man for the job. For Danielson himself, the title would boost him almost everywhere. If he were to be NWA World Champion, I could see NOAH giving him a BIG push to the uppercards which would do wonders for Danielson. NOAH already rates him highly and respects him, the NWA title could completely push him to the main events, which would mean he'd be doing main events in Budokan shows. Major step up for Mr. Am-Drag.

The title is only going to be prestigious if people actually see the champion wrestle. I don't see how you can argue that having Danielson defend the title on ROH PPVs or DVD releases is more meaningful than the champion appearing on a weekly national cable TV show.

The key difference is that for the past year and beyond, the NWA title wasn't presented as that but rather TNA's world title. Putting the title on someone like Danielson gives you the ability to present the title across the globe in the tradition of the NWA.

I guess my point is: If no one actually sees it (other than diehard internet fans and tape collectors), what does it really matter? This is 2007, not 1987.

I'm sure the NWA would rather be associated with a product like ROH over TNA, in an ideal world.

Then again, I thought their complaint with TNA was that the title wasn't being defended enough on 'actual' NWA shows? Maybe I'm mistaken.

I'm sure the NWA would rather be associated with a product like ROH over TNA, in an ideal world.

Then again, I thought their complaint with TNA was that the title wasn't being defended enough on 'actual' NWA shows? Maybe I'm mistaken.

You're not. That's precisely the reason. The split of the NWA titles from TNA is beneficial for both parties IMO.

First round results:

“Technical Perfection” Chad Parham defeated “Mr. Mid-Atlantic” Damien Wayne using a pile driver

“Scrap Iron” Adam Pearce defeated Aaron Aguilera using the O’Connor Roll

“The Shooter” Brent Albright beat Osamu Nishimura with a reverse Small Package

Fred Sampson defeated Glamour Boy Shane

Claudio Castignoli defeats Pepper Parks

"American Dragon" Bryan Danielson defeats "Bomber" Nelson Creed by crossface chickenwing submission

Still two matches left to go but right now the second round match-ups that are set:

"Scrap Iron" Adam Pearce vs "Technical Perfection" Chad Parham

"The Shooter" Brent Albright against Fred Sampson

Guest I Am A Crunchy Black Fan

I say the semi finals will be Dainelson-Castignoli, Albright-Pearce and then Albright-Dainelson in the final's with Albright taking the title.