TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
edgehead69

The What If Topic...

What if WCW let DX into the building and on TV live on Nitro? Would they:

a) get their asses kicked by the nWo or WCW wrestlers

b) Hall and Nash align with DX

c) DX suceeds and creates havoc in WCW

If this happened, wouldn't WCW get the ratings since it was on THEIR show? How would WWE get ratings? This is something I've always wondered about because people would tune into WCW to see DX, thus helping WCW's ratings, so how does WWE benefit here?

With all due respect, that is a stupid fucking question.

If they somehow got in, they'd ejected by security. If they didn't ejected by security, they'd get their ass kicked by some WCW guys. How would it affect anything? I don't know it's such an absurd thought.

The DX invading Nitro thing is so insanely overblown in history. At the time it was just a goofy dumbshit skit or two. Overall it meant nothing to the WWF's business and in my opinion did nothing to hurt WCW. I saw it, maybe chuckled, and went on watching Raw.

The Montreal Screwjob boosted interest, that's for sure. With that said, the WWF didn't truly start drawing big money until the big chase with Austin/Michaels leading to WM 14. Once Austin got the belt the WWF was going to skyrocket anyway. Vince could still do the evil boss gimmick, but it might not have quite the same real life screwjob behind it. It wouldn't have really mattered in the long run.

The key to the Montreal Screwjob and Shawn's back injury is that it gave the WWF a chance to get rid of the stale guys who weren't really drawing. With Bret and Shawn around the WWF was never going to be all it could be at that point. Bret was stuck in his particular ways and Shawn was busy playing politics. Once it became Austin/Foley/UT/Kane and Co. they had actual team players who wanted to turn things around.

The DX invading Nitro thing is so insanely overblown in history. At the time it was just a goofy dumbshit skit or two. Overall it meant nothing to the WWF's business and in my opinion did nothing to hurt WCW. I saw it, maybe chuckled, and went on watching Raw.

Yeah, as a mark, I remember it being amusing and sort of "edgy" (Remember I was 10-11 years old at the time. I didn't have a high criteria for edgy) but I think the tide was already turning in favor of the WWF at the time of those skits and I think that skit had a very minor impact if any on the WWF winning the Monday Night Wars. The reason why it is so well remembered in reterospect is because history is written by winners.

DX "invading" WCW wouldn't have done damage either way. At the most, it would've resulted in a couple more ratings points for Raw, since people would've tuned in and went "hey, these guys are WWF guys, I wonder what's going on over there?" Not a big deal in any sense of the word, really.

What affect would Vince McMahon accepting Eric Bischoff's challenge at Slamboree have on the westling world today - obviously, it'd depend on who won.

Bischoff would've knocked Vince out. Black belt in karate vs. 'roided up man 15 years his senior. Some people probably would have tuned into WCW to see the aftermath, but the product wouldn't have changed, and thus the WWF would still be the winner of the Monday Night Wars.

-------------

Now...

What if Heyman found another network, one that would pay off ECW's (initial) debts and help finance the company (for a short period of time)? Would ECW still be around and producing the alternative to the WWF/E? Would TNA and Ring of Honor even exist?

It surely would have lasted another few years and probably would have a good chance of still being around today. I bet it'd even rise up to become a distant but still somewhat competitve #2 company (more so than TNA is now).

I don't know whether ROH would still exist. Maybe not since RF wouldn't need to have another big seller with ECW still around. TNA may have existed (The WCW exhiles that the WWF didn't want- would have needed somewhere to go) but I doubt it would have lasted as long as it has. Maybe a year or two tops.

the DX invasion and the bischoff challenge did some shock value but if DX did get into WCW and vince shown up.... i dont think much would change really..

What if someone else other than BILLY GUNN won the 1999 King of the Ring? Better yet, what if Billy Gunn got a WWF World Title run?

Also, what if the WWF allowed a Austin-RVD program in 2001. Would it draw money and ratings? We're talking the period here where RVD was HOT and over with the crowd.

Here is the problem with KOTR 99 in a nutshell: There was no one decent in it. Would friggin X-Pac have won it? Jericho hadn't debuted yet, so he was out. There was just nobody currently in the WWF at that point that needed the tourney win to be elevated. Everyone was either already established or very nearly there (HHH).

If Gunn had ever gotten the belt he would have likely been a transition guy to The Rock or someone and it would have been forgettable but not outright awful.

Now, RVD and Austin. This one is right up my alley because I was captivated by this storyline for a brief period of time. There was one huge albatross that hurt the potential here and that was the tanking Invasion angle. In another context this could have gotten over gangbusters, since RVD was a fresh and VERY over opponent for Austin (unlike UT and Kane, or really even Benoit and Jericho who were both perceived as lesser stars than Austin).

I still remember that one great Smackdown where Austin was pissed at Angle and vowed to beat the shit out of the next Alliance guy that walked through the door....and it was RVD. Then RVD beat him in the main event. And yes I know Angle's music played so it wasn't totally clean, but they left serious money on the table by not phasing Angle out of the feud and going with Austin vs. RVD.

Of course the next week Sept. 11 happened so they almost had to push Angle harder, yet oddly enough I think Angle started fizzling out as a face at that point. It seemed as though his patriotic act was forced and phony, whereas RVD seemed cool, calm, and collected (which seemed more genuine).

That said, what do you really do with Austin vs. RVD? HHH was coming back for the Rumble in 2002 and was obviously winning it and taking the title at WM, so what do you do? Have the Alliance turn on Austin and side with RVD, then RVD ends up in that Jericho spot winning the undisputed title and then getting buried by HHH at WM?

Here's a fascinating what if that I've pondered with RVD: What if Van Dam was in the WWF during the Attitude Era (1998-99)? How would Russo have booked him and would he have feuded with Austin at that point?

Here's a fascinating what if that I've pondered with RVD: What if Van Dam was in the WWF during the Attitude Era (1998-99)? How would Russo have booked him and would he have feuded with Austin at that point?

That's a good one. I think he would have started as one of Vince's top Corporation lackeys but then after being done, he would have done a huge face turn and become the #3 babyface in the company (Behind Austin and Mankind)

That's a good one. I think he would have started as one of Vince's top Corporation lackeys but then after being done, he would have done a huge face turn and become the #3 babyface in the company (Behind Austin and Mankind)

Imagine that, RVD behind Mankind and Austin. So another What If that comes out of this.

Where would The Rock be then? A heel? Probably not because clearly he was becoming the #2 face on the roster during mid to late 99. Also, does this mean that Triple H never got his push? Now, THAT would be a different world if RVD got a push ahead of Hunter if he was in the WWF at that time.

One problem with RVD in the WWF Attitude era is that Russo would probably try too hard to make his character "edgy" like Val Venis and The Godfather were, and make RVD into a major pothead character complete with Bill & Ted style promos and carry 4:20 signs around. He probably wear contacts so his eyes are red all the time and would be involved with many hilarious skits where he's having a deep philosophical talk with Head while hanging out with the J.O.B. Squad. And then he'd claim to be the "Higher" Power, and everyone would laugh.

Well, a certain amount of the stoner humor with RVD would have proven funny as long as he backed it up with insane in ring stuff. Guys like Val and Godfather didn't have the in ring sense of awe and spectacle that RVD brings to the table. GF mainly sucks in the ring and Val is a solid journeyman but is kinda like Shane Douglas in terms of not having anything spectacular.

Here's one that is more of a wish type deal than a what if: Supposing RVD is in the WWF during that period, what if he was in a HIAC match against UT? I think we'd all have preferred that to the Bossman match from WM 15.

... would be involved with many hilarious skits where he's having a deep philosophical talk with Head while hanging out with the J.O.B. Squad. And then he'd claim to be the "Higher" Power, and everyone would laugh.

I laughed at this.

What if The Rock never left for Hollywood? Would his act be tired and stale by 2004-05? Or would he find ways to repackage himself and make himself fresh again? I really have no idea where we would fit in if he didn't leave. A long feud with Brock chasing the belt? Feuding with Orton/Batista/Cena? The Rock vs. HBK? Who really knows what could've happened here.

What if The Rock never left for Hollywood? Would his act be tired and stale by 2004-05? Or would he find ways to repackage himself and make himself fresh again? I really have no idea where we would fit in if he didn't leave. A long feud with Brock chasing the belt? Feuding with Orton/Batista/Cena? The Rock vs. HBK? Who really knows what could've happened here.

Like the Stone Cold Austin character, there really wasn't much they could have done in terms of "retooling" the gimmick that got The Rock over in the first place. And unlike Austin, the character goes well "playing both sides" if you will. Unlike Austin where a major change in his philosophy (joining up with the authority) had to be done in order to get his heel character over. You can see "The Rock" being both the lone wolf as a face and the guy with an entourage in either The Nation or The Corporation. Even if it meant someone was above him (The McMahons)

They would have had to tried really, really hard at getting the character back to the "We don't care about you anymore" heat to get the character changed.

I think the best thing that could come out of the Rock never leaving is that there would most likely be a Ric Flair vs The Rock feud that would have brought the house down wherever it went. Just by going off the little bit they worked with each other at WM20 proves that there is a certain chemistry between them and they'd play off of each other's characters well. Triple H would probably still have his backstage powers, and Rock would probably be on SmackDown! after the Flair feud, so Rocky and Hunter won't have to BUTT heads and compete for airtime.

Also, a Rock / Cena program would have been all kinds of awesome, and Cena would be getting the rub from a major star in the process, as Cena would be one of the few new guys that would even be able to hang with Rocky in the mic skill department. Also, The Rock vs "Rated R" Edge, "Captain Charisma" Christian, Ken Kennedy, MVP, and especially Monty Brown would also be awesome feuds with some legendary promos.

Rock/MVP would be out of this world. The Mic work would be on a whole different level than anything. Rock/Cena would have to include Cena being a heel. No way would people boo the Rock over cena.

Flair would have likely done the stuff he did anyway. Dick around with Piper, have the NWA belt (if he could have, depends on what part of 1988....if earlier Crockett wouldn't have allowed it, but later when Turner bought them out Herd was in charge). Arn/Tully would still be the Brainbusters with Flair sorta in the Heenan Family but not exactly in it. He might have gotten the belt from Macho at some point and maybe transitioned it to Hogan for WM 5.

Well Piper was gone in '88 but I agree with most of what cabbageboy said. It'd be almost exactly the same as '92 except with some of the names changed. He'd probably join The Heenan Family with The Brainbusters. Flair'd probably start by feuding with an upper mid carder (Maybe Duggan), then go on to defeat Savage for the World title, then lose to Hogan at WM5 and then feud with The Warrior.

What if undertaker never got injured this past may, who would he have fueded with? im guessing HITC with Bautista at JDay

Smackdown List

Chris Benoit

King Booker

Mark Henry

Kane

Finlay

Mr. Kennedy

He could fued with any of these guys....

What if undertaker never got injured this past may, who would he have fueded with? im guessing HITC with Bautista at JDay

Smackdown List

Chris Benoit

King Booker

Mark Henry

Kane

Finlay

Mr. Kennedy

It's amazing how much the roster has changed in two months.

Benoit - Dead

Booker - Raw

Henry - Still There

Kane - Um.... who IS he feuding with now?

Finlay - Still there

Kennedy - Raw

Man, does Smackdown need Undertaker.

Smackdown List

Chris Benoit

King Booker

Mark Henry

Kane

Finlay

Mr. Kennedy

Probably Batista in HITC at Judgment Day as you said. Then, probably a craptastic feud with Mark Henry taking up Vengeance, One Night Stand and maybe Great American Bash.

What if the WWF booked the Intercontinental Championship properly?

I believe after Ahmed Johnson dropped the title due to injury it was never the same again. Razor, Goldust, and Ahmed were the last 3 real champions of that era.

I dont think Mark Couldve had a fued because WWE might use a Bautista va Henry story... Id like to see Booker vs Taker or Benoit vs Taker (Granted Benoit didnt die)

I believe after Ahmed Johnson dropped the title due to injury it was never the same again. Razor, Goldust, and Ahmed were the last 3 real champions of that era.

To be fair, it wasn't until '99 or so where the IC belt wasn't the same. I probably would've kept the belt from the likes of Road Dogg, Chyna and Godfather and not had the European Championship. (Even up until early 2000, it was in high enough prestige - see Angle/Jericho/Benoit)

To be fair, it wasn't until '99 or so where the IC belt wasn't the same. I probably would've kept the belt from the likes of Road Dogg, Chyna and Godfather and not had the European Championship. (Even up until early 2000, it was in high enough prestige - see Angle/Jericho/Benoit)

I remember some people weren't happy with the Mero, HHH and The Rock's first title run. Owen did a good job, and then the Rock went on a great run the second time around. So maybe you're right, it wasn't THAT bad till 99'.

Edit: I purposely left out Steve Austin because his first run never happened, and WHY he got a 2nd run with the IC title I'll never know. And then he didn't even job the title to Rock so he was basically a useless IC champion. I know they had to protect him, so when he won the IC title, that put them in a bind. They didn't have to do that. Shamrock or someone could've just defeated Owen who could then give Shamrock the chance to job the belt to Rocky.

I know I'm probably going to be the only guy in the camp but I thought the IC title was still semi-prestigious up until the Invasion. I thought the Val Venis-Rikishi feud wasn't bad and I think having guys who had been main eventers like Kane and Triple H holding the title gave it a rub. But once the Invasion happened, it just kept changing hands and was never really the same.

I know I'm probably going to be the only guy in the camp but I thought the IC title was still semi-prestigious up until the Invasion. I thought the Val Venis-Rikishi feud wasn't bad and I think having guys who had been main eventers like Kane and Triple H holding the title gave it a rub. But once the Invasion happened, it just kept changing hands and was never really the same.

Albert and Lance Storm were two guys who had a cup of coffee with the strap. It's too bad they wanted to transition the belt to Edge so quickly, I would've like to see an extended run by Storm with the title. Even Mike Awesome would've made a good IC champion.

I got a "What if" that would change the entire face of the industry:

What if the neck injury that Steve Austin got from Owen Hart was so bad that he could never wrestle again? Who would have took Austin's place at WrestleMania XIV? Shamrock or Mankind? Would the Montreal Screwjob ever have happened if Steve Austin was no longer the megastar in the making? Would the WWF been in major trouble, or is the Rock charismatic enough to carry the WWF even if he was pushed into the main even scene earlier that he was? Would Triple H have been a face main eventer as the head of DX vs Vince McMahon's Corporation in 98? And most importantly, how would Owen Hart's push be affected by having no Austin to hold him down? Would he still have the career-ending botch to live down, like D'Lo still has?