TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
edgehead69

The What If Topic...

Greetings everyone... this being my first post and all. I've been reading the board for a while, but this thread sparked my interest.

Here's one I haven't seen posted:

What if Sting didn't get injured in 1990?

Some possibilities:

-The NWA/WCW wouldn't have had to do the placeholder Luger/Flair feud for as long as they did.

-Not sure if the original plan was for Sting to go up at Wrestle War that year, but if he did... they could have kept the Flair/Sting feud going to at least the Great American Bash before making a decision on where to go from there.

-After Flair, Sting could have done a proper feud with Sid. Sid has his fair share of criticisms, but at that point in time, a long Sid/Sting feud could have worked quite well as Sid was over and could play the monster to Sting's hero.

-The Black Scorpion quite possibly would have never happened.

Still, this is WCW we're talking about... so they probably would have found a way to screw things up in the long run.

Going back a couple months in time, I still say things would have been different if they had done Flair vs. Funk "I Quit" as the main event for Starrcade instead of the Clash of Champions a month before with either Sting vs. Muta (Basically redoing the Great American Bash 1989, which wouldn't have been a bad thing) or Sting vs. Luger as the second biggest match of the card. It would have allowed the Flair/Funk feud to have the blow-off match on the biggest show of the year, while it still would have given Sting a big enough match to carry enough momentum into the Flair feud (Something the Iron Man tournament was supposed to do).

If Austin had truly had a career ending injury at SS 97 the WWF would have been totally screwed. There was no one at that point who had really caught the fans' imagination the way Austin had, and they desperately needed the 2 years of 1998 and 99 they got from him before the injury put him out for a long while and guys like Rock and HHH were ready to draw.

The IC title actually to me stayed relevant until the whole Katie Vick angle buried the belt in late 2002. Yeah, there were some crappy champs in 1999 or so but they got over that by 2000 and guys like Jericho, Benoit, and Angle held it. The IC belt was hurt a bit in the Invasion but hell I'd say nearly every belt suffered the same fate since there were two sets of everything. I do think the Edge/Regal feud for the IC was a low point for the belt, since those were some unbearably boring matches. Once the IC division became RVD, Eddie, and Benoit in 2002 then it got really good again. But once Kane won it and they used it as fodder for the Katie Vick angle and killed the belt off for 6 months or so....it was over. The IC title has never been the same.

I got a "What if" that would change the entire face of the industry:

What if the neck injury that Steve Austin got from Owen Hart was so bad that he could never wrestle again? Who would have took Austin's place at WrestleMania XIV? Shamrock or Mankind? Would the Montreal Screwjob ever have happened if Steve Austin was no longer the megastar in the making? Would the WWF been in major trouble, or is the Rock charismatic enough to carry the WWF even if he was pushed into the main even scene earlier that he was? Would Triple H have been a face main eventer as the head of DX vs Vince McMahon's Corporation in 98? And most importantly, how would Owen Hart's push be affected by having no Austin to hold him down? Would he still have the career-ending botch to live down, like D'Lo still has?

The only thing the fans wouldn't have shat on for a HBK opponent at WM XIV was probably The Undertaker. Just get rid of The Undertaker-HBK match at Royal Rumble '98 so fans wouldn't have gotten sick of it. The Undertaker finally getting his comeuppance on HBK might have had a shot at working.

Rock and Triple H weren't ready. I don't think Ken Shamrock had enough charisma for anybody to buy him as a main eventer and Foley wasn't really taken serious as a surefire main eventer until late '98. Maybe the WWF would freak after their future superstar's career is ended and sign The Warrior or Sid.

I think Montreal was going to happen whether or not AUstin had a career ending injury or not.

I got a "What if" that would change the entire face of the industry:

What if the neck injury that Steve Austin got from Owen Hart was so bad that he could never wrestle again? Who would have took Austin's place at WrestleMania XIV? Shamrock or Mankind? Would the Montreal Screwjob ever have happened if Steve Austin was no longer the megastar in the making? Would the WWF been in major trouble, or is the Rock charismatic enough to carry the WWF even if he was pushed into the main even scene earlier that he was? Would Triple H have been a face main eventer as the head of DX vs Vince McMahon's Corporation in 98? And most importantly, how would Owen Hart's push be affected by having no Austin to hold him down? Would he still have the career-ending botch to live down, like D'Lo still has?

The only thing the fans wouldn't have shat on for a HBK opponent at WM XIV was probably The Undertaker. Just get rid of The Undertaker-HBK match at Royal Rumble '98 so fans wouldn't have gotten sick of it. The Undertaker finally getting his comeuppance on HBK might have had a shot at working.

Rock and Triple H weren't ready. I don't think Ken Shamrock had enough charisma for anybody to buy him as a main eventer and Foley wasn't really taken serious as a surefire main eventer until late '98. Maybe the WWF would freak after their future superstar's career is ended and sign The Warrior or Sid.

I think Montreal was going to happen whether or not AUstin had a career ending injury or not.

You're assuming in this scenario that Bret doesn't stay in the company and Montreal still happens. Letting go of Bret was partially a by-product of the new Austin era and emergence of a new babyface. Had Austin gone down permanently at Summerslam, there's a better than average chance that McMahon would have freaked and kept Bret around. A babyface turn and feud with Michaels culminating at Mania would have been a likely scenario.

With regards to Owen, he probably would have been worse off. Austin never really held him down, he just refused to work a program with him. It's not like Owen had any future main event runs in him by mid-97. Without the culmination of the Austin feud and the babyface run to avenge Montreal, he probably would have meandered along like he did in the Nation/Blue Blazer days.

What if Brutus Beefcake doesn't get replaced at SummerSlam '88 by Warrior and wins the WWF Intercontinental title. What happens to Warrior? Does his push just get delayed? According to Beefcake ( a valid source I'm sure), Warrior threatened to quit if he didn't get the WWF Intercontinental title. What happens to Beefcake with the title? I'm sure he doesn't get nearly the push Warrior does but I'm sure he doesn't become the punchline that he is today.

What if Brutus Beefcake doesn't get replaced at SummerSlam '88 by Warrior and wins the WWF Intercontinental title. What happens to Warrior? Does his push just get delayed? According to Beefcake ( a valid source I'm sure), Warrior threatened to quit if he didn't get the WWF Intercontinental title. What happens to Beefcake with the title? I'm sure he doesn't get nearly the push Warrior does but I'm sure he doesn't become the punchline that he is today.

Beefcake is lying. Warrior was the hottest act they had in the summer of 1988 and McMahon decided to cash in by giving him the win over Honky. The Beefcake feud had sort of lost its heat by the time the event came and they decided it was no longer a good idea to have him go over. I just don't see any scenario where he ends up with the title.

Guest WWE247FanaticSeries

What if the WWF never hired Tully Blanchard and Arn Anderson to form the Brainbusters?

Beefcake is lying. Warrior was the hottest act they had in the summer of 1988 and McMahon decided to cash in by giving him the win over Honky. The Beefcake feud had sort of lost its heat by the time the event came and they decided it was no longer a good idea to have him go over. I just don't see any scenario where he ends up with the title.

Yeah that Beefcake as a valid source remark was sarcastic by the way. How about if he didn't have the parasailing accident in '90? Would he have just lost it to Mr. Perfect in the rematch 3-4 months later like Von Erich.

In response to The Brainbusters question, I really don't think much if anything would have changed. For some reason, I think The Fabulous Rougeaus may have gotten a better run and The Powers of Pain would have probably turned heel quicker than they did but really nothing that alters the course of WWF or WCW history.

Here's a better what if involving Beefcake:

What if the WWF decided to hold off on th Hogan-Warrior match for Wrestlemania VI and went with one of their back-up plans of Hulk versus a heel-turned Brutus Beefcake? Would the match have drawn very well or would it be remembered like Starrcade '94? Would Brutus have a strong run as an upper-card heel or would he have faded quickly? Would he get a short title run? What becomes of Warrior long-term?

Beefcake wasn't a serious main event proposition. The only show he had ever mained before was SS 89 where he was constantly referred to as "Hogan's weak link." After Hogan had beaten down Macho and the invincible Zeus, then fended off a technical master in Mr. Perfect, would anyone REALLY think a San Francisco hair dresser had a hope in hell of killing Hulkamania?

Beefcake wasn't a serious main event proposition. The only show he had ever mained before was SS 89 where he was constantly referred to as "Hogan's weak link." After Hogan had beaten down Macho and the invincible Zeus, then fended off a technical master in Mr. Perfect, would anyone REALLY think a San Francisco hair dresser had a hope in hell of killing Hulkamania?

I think it would have been OK. Hogan's partner turns on Hogan was always a compelling storyline and even though, Beefcake wasn't anywhere near the league of Andre, Savage or even Orndorff, I'm sure it would have done well enough as the main event of a secondary PPV but it's definitely not a WrestleMania main event. Warrior was really the only viable option to face Hogan at WrestleMania VI. The Perfect feud didn't draw shit, Hogan-Savage was played out and even the markiest of marks could see that Hogan-Zeus one on one would be a pitiful match.

What if The Ultimate Warrior accepts WCW's offer in early '95 and joins Hogan and Savage in fighting The Dungeon of Doom? Is it just the same story as his WCW run just three years earlier?

What if Owen Hart didn't agree to do that fateful stunt?

What if Shawn Michaels was the one to get screwed at SS 97?

What if Owen Hart didn't agree to do that fateful stunt?

He probably doesn't die.

Well besides that, he wins the IC title during the match. Probably holds it for a few weeks seeing how it was the Russo era and spends the rest of his contract as a comic midcarder battling for the IC and European titles occasionally. He'd probably retire a year or two after Over The Edge and would probably be working the autograph circuit like Bret right now.

Well, if the Warrior had signed with WCW in 1995 it would have been a lot of goofy shit, but it would have fit in better with WCW's ultra lame product of the time. Everyone was still doing a cartoonish 1980s act in WCW at that point, so Warrior cutting bizarre promos on the Dungeon of Doom wouldn't seem that out of place. This is a promotion that had a mummy break out of a block of ice and guys doing monster truck battles on the top of the arena. By 1998 though the Warrior's act was completely anachronistic.

What if the WWE allowed the nWo to succeed? How long would they last? My bet would be a year or so.

It would be so much better if after Survivor Series as Vince claims he's destroyed the WCW out comes Bischoff who says you killed WCW but not the nWo, cue the music and out come Hall, Nash, and Hogan.

If they lasted about a year or so, I could've seen the odd WWE guy join the nWo like maybe HHH or HBK.

They could've made stars out of DDP and Booker T again after being damaged by the InVasion storyline by bringing up their past feuds with the nWo. They do have the tape footage so it could'be worked.

If they let the nWo run over the roster a team of Angle/Lesnar/Taker/Jericho/Kane against Hall/Nash/Hogan/HHH/HBK would've been something at Survivor Series that year. Just imagine the locker room with those 5 politicians backstage.

What if the WWE allowed the nWo to succeed? How long would they last? My bet would be a year or so.

Nah, it wasn't the WWE holding the nWo down that made the WWE incarnation a failure. It was the fact that nWo was a tired act by 2002 just like it was when WCW tried to create nWo 2000 two years earlier. WWE gave it plenty of a chance to succeed but it was just tired.

Guest Hadley

1. What if, at rumble 92, instead of flair winning, hogan, roberts, savage, taker, sid, or piper win. How does this affect wrestlemania and the wwf circa 92?

2. I remember reading that rude was considering joining wwf in 1999 before his death. Lets say he doesnt die and rejoins wwf, who does he fued with, and whats his main role?

3. What if Shawn Michaels doesnt get involved in the fight in Syracuse?

4. What if Ax didnt suffer a heart condition and was still able to wrestle on a regular basis, meaning no crush?

1. What if, at rumble 92, instead of flair winning, hogan, roberts, savage, taker, sid, or piper win. How does this affect wrestlemania and the wwf circa 92?

2. I remember reading that rude was considering joining wwf in 1999 before his death. Lets say he doesnt die and rejoins wwf, who does he fued with, and whats his main role?

3. What if Shawn Michaels doesnt get involved in the fight in Syracuse?

4. What if Ax didnt suffer a heart condition and was still able to wrestle on a regular basis, meaning no crush?

1. Really depends on which guy wins.

2. Probably in a managerial/non-wrestling role. Probably as an advisor for the Corporation. Maybe he rejoins DX when they reunite later in the year.

3. He probably keeps the IC title for most of the rest of '95 and then loses it in a screwy fashion or maybe the Iron Man match becomes "Title Vs Title" ala WrestleMania VI and they have a IC title tournament after HBK vacates it.

4. Demolition and LOD's feud lasts a bit longer probably but I think Demolition's time was running short once the WWF signed L.O.D. I mean who cares about the imitators when they have the real thing? After they lose to L.O.D., they probably get jobbed out as they did in real life and Ax probably gets repackaged in another gimmick like Smash and Crush or gets released.

Rumble 92 effects:

Hogan - Flair is announced as the #1 contender at the Mania 8 press conference. Sid is outraged and throws things around (which in the era of 1992 is enough to say he turned heel), challenges Hogan to defend his title on the Fox SNME and says he's a coward if he refuses. Hogan wins and Sid goes crazy again, and with the help of Flair ends up putting Hogan on the shelf until Mania (he does promos from home indicating he'll be healthy enough to to wrestle at Mania and the sit down interview with Vince where retirement is brought up still happens). At Mania, Flair manages to pin Hogan (who was badly limping after a Sid attack during the match and figure four). There is a 2-1 on beatdown going on until the Ultimate Warrior makes the save, vowing to lead the fight against both Sid and Flair while Hogan sits at home until 1993. The PPV also features a tag match between Savage and Undertaker vs Sid and Jake Roberts (Taker still kills Roberts on the floor to send him to WCW).

Roberts - Everything goes exactly the same by the time Mania rolls around (Savage wins the title from transitional champion Roberts on SNME) except Flair is now a challenger, but still tries to get in Savage's head with the Liz angle.

Savage - Same as above except Savage retains his title over Roberts on SNME.

Sid - Hogan is named #1 contender and Sid welcomes the challenge with a handshake. Turns heel on Hogan in the SNME tag match and cuts a promo about it saying he's bigger than Hulkamania ever was and he will end it once and for all at Mania. Feud goes the same as it really did (sit down interview with Vince to hint at retirement so he can take a year off). Ideally Hogan jobs on his way out (due to Flair interference) but since it's Hogan, it's probably a DQ finish. Same 2 on 1 beating as above with Warrior making the save (except the roles of Sid and Flair in Warrior's feud is reversed). Savage vs. Flair as a regular bout (but with the Liz angle) highlights the undercard of Mania.

Taker - I was going to cop out on this one and just say "Taker loses the title to Savage on SNME and everything at Mania happens the same", but since Taker was protected well at this time (and thus would not be put in the position of holding the title to lose cleanly), let's shake this one up. Sid stays face and we get something like Sid and Savage vs. Flair and Roberts on the Mania undercard and Hogan challenges Taker for the title at Mania. Same situation as with Sid above - Hogan either accepts the job on his way out for a year or we settle for a schmoz DQ due to Undertaker brutality. Warrior makes the save to continue the 1991 Taker/Warrior feud.

Piper - I was going to have him lose both titles at Mania (one to Bret, one to Flair), but I'll let the poor man have some dignity and take his world title away at SNME (courtesy of Flair), putting everything into "the way it really happened" mode (except the world is robbed of the shock proof vest gag).

Guest Hadley

Another one came to mind. What if in 98-99, the USA network finally got fed up with all the parental complaints and decided to can RAW. What network would it go to, and would it help wcw?

Another one came to mind. What if in 98-99, the USA network finally got fed up with all the parental complaints and decided to can RAW. What network would it go to, and would it help wcw?

If anything, it would help RAW cause it could play up "The Too Hot for USA" angle. Don't know which network they'd go to. Wasn't their talk of them going to FX at one point? Don't think that many people FX back then though.

Some to ponder:

What is Smoky Mountain Wrestling stayed open longer than it did and was around during the Monday Night wars? What would have been the relationship between it and the WWF/E, especially since McMahon was funding ECW?

What if Ole Anderson never became booker of WCW in 1990?

What if K. Allen Fry remained in charge of WCW instead of Bill Watts coming on board?

What if Flair jumped to the WWF in 1988 with Arn and Tully? I read recently he was considering it and being booked to win the title at the first Summerslam.

If anything, it would help RAW cause it could play up "The Too Hot for USA" angle. Don't know which network they'd go to. Wasn't their talk of them going to FX at one point? Don't think that many people FX back then though.

Agreed. By late 98/Early 99, their ratings would have allowed them to switch to basically whatever cable channel they wanted.

The Frye/Watts aspect is something I hadn't considered. For that brief period of time WCW had a very modern wrestling product featuring lots of physical in ring action and an emphasis on cruiserweights. In fact I have to wonder if a lot of the guys that left WCW in the subsequent years might have been appeased and stayed. On the 24/7 Legends show Bischoff mentions how he felt he was a success in WCW because he wasn't a crusty old ring veteran like Anderson or Watts and was someone with a bit more of a corporate mentality. I think Frye was probably similar to Bischoff in that regard, and from what I've read his policies sounded terrific (pay raises, bonuses for guys who had the best matches, etc.).

What if Flair jumped to the WWF in 1988 with Arn and Tully? I read recently he was considering it and being booked to win the title at the first Summerslam.

Years ago I tried to start a fan fict on a site of such a seniaro, only with JJ & Barry alongside, in effect The Horsemen would do what The Outsiders did in the late spring/summer of 1996.

I don't think I got much past the Horsemen wreaking havoc on a SNME at MSG in their debut with Flair cutting a promo about finally making it to the big time