TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steve J. Rogers

Since there isn't a general shopping thread, I might as well ask h

FYE: In recent radio ads I've heard For Your Entertainment stores, which I usually hear as F. Y. E. read as Fyes just one word, not the letters.

Which one is the correct one? And if it is F.Y.E I wonder who the heck is screening the material after it is has been recorded?

Target: I've always thought it was Tar-GET as in "hit the target" which would also tie into their bullseye red logo and buildings with it as its name are usually spoken in this manner, but I've been hearing it pronounced in a French way that rhymes with gay. Uh, which one is the correct one? I assume the hit the target one is correct and the persons using the other one is trying to sound pretentious.

FYE: In recent radio ads I've heard For Your Entertainment stores, which I usually hear as F. Y. E. read as Fyes just one word, not the letters.

Which one is the correct one? And if it is F.Y.E I wonder who the heck is screening the material after it is has been recorded?

Target: I've always thought it was Tar-GET as in "hit the target" which would also tie into their bullseye red logo and buildings with it as its name are usually spoken in this manner, but I've been hearing it pronounced in a French way that rhymes with gay. Uh, which one is the correct one? I assume the hit the target one is correct and the persons using the other one is trying to sound pretentious.

I say F Y E.

I say TAR-get.

Guest Vitamin X

FYE is an acronym, so F-Y-E. Target one is correct, and the the Tar-jaaayy thing, I think (I could be mistaken here) is kind of a popular way of acknowledging Target as a "higher end" big-box store as compared to Wal-Mart, K-Mart, etc. The correct pronunciation is, however, Target, as in hit the target.