TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

Trying to make the closest thing to a real desktop web browser I can.

Guest Vitamin X

So, I have a lot of things googlefied already- I use gCal, gReader, gMail, gEverything. One thing I kept thinking about that would be a very good idea is that if somehow, someone made a web browser that's integrated fully with the windows desktop. What I'm pretty much envisioning here is kind of like a full screen version of Firefox running on my desktop, in place of where, like, the wallpaper would be. If I need to access the taskbar, just get to the edges of the screen, basically have it in autohide all the time (or use the Windows key on my keyboard).

There has to be someone that thought of this idea before I did, and integrated it maybe even into Firefox or Windows and I just haven't gotten it to do exactly what I want yet. Anyone have any ideas?

I thought about having my home page just work in active desktop, but I want to see if there was a full browser that would work right there on the desktop, bookmarks, address bar, toolbars, etc. included.

interesting idea but the problem here is that what if you want to click a link and one of yoru desktop shortcuts is in the way? What happens when you click?

Maybe if you hold down ctrl or alt or something, it could fade out the shortcut out of the wya.

I hate to be "this guy" but why not just have your browser open all the time in full-screen mode? It's essentially the same thing.

PS - I have no shortcuts on my desktop. :P

Guest Vitamin X

Because I like having access to my taskbar/system tray, and I figure if it was something that was embedded to the desktop, it would be one way that Firefox would reduce its memory strain on the OS.

EDIT: Oh, also, full screen mode, at least in Firefox, has its drawbacks in that you can't really access your bookmarks and all that as easily.

I think this question is better posed to a community of open source developers, though. Someone should make this.

For the record, has anyone here ever used Active Desktop?