TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Giuseppe Zangara

David Bowie's version of "Across the Universe"

And it's only decent.

I'm not sure why I, for so long, thought "Across the Universe" was a would-be great song that hadn't been given the proper treatment—well, no, I know why I used to think that—but I wonder why I thought it for as long as I did. There's no diamond in this mine.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

I don't care for the mantra in there, but I like the rest of it a lot.

Without thinking about it much in some time, I've long dismissed Bowie's coked-out trio of mid-70s albums—Diamond Dogs, Young Americans and Station to Station—as honorable failures; some good/great songs on each, but David's brain was too caked in blow to be really into it.

After listening to Young Americans again, I'd say it's the best of the three (Station to Station is overrated), but just so weird. Not in the Berlin-era way, no; this album—wherein Bowie goes to Philly and tries to make soul music—is the most soulless soul album you're likely to find. That isn't an insult, either. Bowie's overtly cerebral nature was an awkward fit for the from-the-gut style of American soul. It's an icy, somewhat fascinating and rather disquieting listen.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

Oh, cool, somebody else here can't stand Rufus Wainwright. I do want to hear Kate & Anna McGarrigle, though. I heard it was pretty cool.

re: Station to Station, I like the title track bunches, but my enjoyment sort of peters out as the album goes.

I would actually rank Station to Station as being the second best album of his I have heard (behind Hunky Dory). I have 9 of his studio albums from 1970 - 1980 btw, the only two I do not have from this period being the other two referenced in this thread.

The signature sound of this album is just so subliminal, and the consistency of the record is unmatched even by albums such as "Heroes" and Alladdin Sane.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

He's right. Aladdin Sane is pretty overrated. Low is the best. Case closed.

This is so stupid that I had to respond to it. The original version of "Across the Universe" is the only good version I've heard. Bowie had/has a really bad habit of including covers in his albums that are almost invariably the weakest thing on the record.

This is so stupid that I had to respond to it. The original version of "Across the Universe" is the only good version I've heard. Bowie had/has a really bad habit of including covers in his albums that are almost invariably the weakest thing on the record.

Your track record of terrible opinions continues unabated.

edit: Actually, his "Let's Spend the Night Together" is cute, but sort of an "okay, let's move on, David" thing.

Guest Gym Class Fallout
A young Liverpudlian dock worker named Jude (Jim Sturgess) travels to America in the early 1960s to find the American GI. father (Robert Clohessy) he has never known. While in America he falls in love with a sheltered American teenager called Lucy (Evan Rachel Wood). When her brother Max (Joe Anderson) is drafted to fight in the Vietnam War, they become involved in the anti-war movement. The film is constructed as a musical, with the actors expressing themselves by singing compositions written between 1963-1969 by the members of The Beatles.

This sounds fun-bad.

Why can't they just stop making movies based around The Beatles music not involving The Beatles? You think after All This and World War II and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, two of the biggest flops of the 70s, they would have learned their lesson but no.

"Let's Spend the Night Together" is probably the worst of Bowie's cover songs, particularly in terms of how good the original is versus how mediocre his version is. "I Can't Explain" from Pinups would be a close second.

Diamond Dogs is, I think, better than Aladdin Sane.

There's a really terrible disco freakout version of "John, I'm Only Dancing" on some of the Young Americans re-issues.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

You're off your rocker if you think Diamond Dogs is better than any non 80's-present Bowie record. "Rebel Rebel" is the best shit in the universe, but the rest of that album is an ill-conceived, poorly executed, disjointed wreck.

The title track is superb. The "Sweet Thing" suite is sweet. "Rock and Roll With Me" and "The Sequel to the 'Theme from Shaft'" are low points, but "Big Brother" is a great song. It's not my favorite Bowie album, but I'd definitely put it above Aladdin Sane and The Man Who Sold the World. Probably Young Americans, too.