TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest themmachamp

Kurt Angle Finally going to do MMA?

From this article it seems kurt angle might actually try MMA while keeping his ties with TNA as fighting the IFL or coaching would allow him to do so. Good move on his part if he does it?

http://ifl.tv/News-07Sep28-Angle-Ringside-IFL-Finals.html

I doubt Kurt will ever actually compete in MMA but I don't see him doing well if he does. I mean, he's left it a bit a late to be starting.

If Kurt really wanted to fight, he'd have done it by now. Kurt obviously likes MMA and would definitely like to fight, but I think he also knows that his physical condition, especially his neck, is such that his chances of doing even reasonably well are remote at best, especially when you consider the added physical toll he'd have go through in the months of training required.

I can still see him doing a fight or two. I think he's just trying to create leverage to get a few fight deal with UFC that will allow him to continue to wrestle.

Guest Vincent Vega

there is no chance in hell Angle does MMA. he isn't an idiot, he realizes if he fights anyone decent he is done.

Thats not necessarily true. The guy is obviously accomplished on the ground, and stand up, while it can be tough, is something a guy with great shooting ability could get around. The problem is that if anyone front face locked the guy and put pressure on the back of his neck he would have to tap...quickly.

So I am not saying he shouldn't do it because he wouldn't stand a chance, I am saying he shouldn't do it because his neck is crap and a crap neck in MMA isn't your friend. You could probably even do some damage, but its not worth the risk.

Thats not necessarily true. The guy is obviously accomplished on the ground, and stand up, while it can be tough, is something a guy with great shooting ability could get around. The problem is that if anyone front face locked the guy and put pressure on the back of his neck he would have to tap...quickly.

So I am not saying he shouldn't do it because he wouldn't stand a chance, I am saying he shouldn't do it because his neck is crap and a crap neck in MMA isn't your friend. You could probably even do some damage, but its not worth the risk.

Kurt Angle was accomplished on the ground in his amateur wrestling prime, but that was over ten years ago and things have developed so far in that time that what Kurt knew is almost prehistoric now. In 2003, when Kurt was thinking about trying out for Olympics, he practiced with some top amateur wrestlers and said himself that those guys were so far ahead of where he was that he'd need at least 18-months of training just to catch up with them. Kurt is also over a decade removed from serious competition. When you've been out of competitive action for that long a time, certain reflexes dull and it will take to get those reflexes to where you can begin to make use of the natural talent you have. And that doesn't include all the new skills Kurt would have to pick up in order to be even half competitive with an accomplished striker. If Kurt was in his physical, and mental, prime, he'd probably become a top-level MMA fighter. But as he stands now, I don't see any amount of training that would make Kurt that skilled an MMA fighter. He's just too far gone and too broken down.