TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

Stephen Colbert

Whose a fan? He came to my came to my campus tonight and put on two sold out shows at 7000 people a piece. Hilarious.

He gave a great 1 hour program that was pretty much non-stop laughs.

And unlike most guests, the "local" jokes were outstanding.

"A lot of notable alumni at Cornell. Janet Reno, Ruth Bader Ginsburg. If there's one thing Cornell has proven is that it churns out smoking hot babes."

"I also noticed while looking over the alumni list that you've had 8 NASA astronauts. That's very impressive. I guess it shows that living in Ithaca makes you want to flee the earth."

I think I'm going to need to start making a habit to watch his show now instead of just catching it when it's on.

It's also a little scary that nationally he would currently get 13% of the vote for President.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

I've always liked Colbert, but he's flirting with the saturation point at this stage of the game.

The thing that makes Colbert and his show not just funny but actually above criticism is that he would use your saturation argument against you. Imagine a faux hard news piece involving a sponge.

Does he speak to colleges in character? I assume not since I've heard he does QnA about his character and the show. Anyway, yes, guy is awesome, the show is awesome, I loved being in the audience for a show in 2006. It was great watching him crack up at his desk while we were watching a video about The Difference Makers (guys setting up a 1 mile fence on the Mexico border).

I heard his book (and audiobook version) is good so I'll probably pick that up along with The Best of the Colbert Report DVD when it comes out (a week from Tuesday). I did a Colbert Report thread a long time ago, it's probably buried somewhere here.

There were small bits in character. He did a nice speech/powerpoint to "The Word" in character that was the closer before the Q&A, but he talks about the difference between himself and his character, how him running for office is a fraud. During the Q&A portion he actually gave out a nice bit of advice to someone about getting in to comedy.

But no, he was himself during the speech but still very funny.

There were small bits in character. He did a nice speech/powerpoint to "The Word" in character that was the closer before the Q&A, but he talks about the difference between himself and his character, how him running for office is a fraud. During the Q&A portion he actually gave out a nice bit of advice to someone about getting in to comedy.

But no, he was himself during the speech but still very funny.

What was that advice, do you remember?

Yeah, that's what he said. He said in Chicago you can do improv every night and the best experience you can get is going up there and failing every night until it doesn't bother you anymore.