TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr. S£im Citrus

Homicide

I'm placing this in General because it isn't fed-specific.

I've been reading about people gassing this cat up for years now but, having very limited access to indy/foreign wrestling, my exposure to Homicide is more or less limited to his work in TNA, which has been solid, but somewhat less than awe-inspiring. I mean, LAX is probably my favorite team in the 1.5 major promotions in the US, but that's almost by attrition; their work, again, has been solid, but it falls short of the legendary teams that I grew up watching (Busters, Harts, Midnights, Bulldogs, Blondes, MVC, etc), or even some of the better tag teams of the last ten years (Guerreros, Christian/Edge, Styles/Daniels, WGTT). And his singles work, to put it mildly, hasn't impressed me at all.

So, can some of you guys please hip me to the essential Homicide (matches, promos, and the like), so that I can see what the fuss is about?

I don't know anything of Homicide outside of TNA either, but I guess some of his ROH is what got him crazy popular, like I always hear mention of a street fight vs. CM Punk where they go brawling through like a strip club. I haven't had the time to look any of the stuff up either, but that is the main one I have heard of. Hope that helps a little til someone more informed pops up.

From what I remember, the only thing memorable about the Punk/Homicide strip club brawl is Punk yelling "You're a Whore!" at one of the strippers.

To me, Homicide's best stuff was his feud with Colt Cabana (the blowoff to the feud at Better than our Best is one of my favorite garbage brawls) and his stuff during the CZW/ROH feud

The Cide/Punk brawl in the Strip Club was in FIP. It was just funny more than anything else.

Like Ravenbomb said, his blood feud with Colt Cabana was great as well as his involvement in the ROH/CZW feud

Also, his feud with Steve Corino is a must watch. It was one of those "is it a shoot or a work?" situations because they really hated eachother. Cide caused Steve to go half deaf with a stiff slap and Corino messed up Cide's shoulder pretty bad. The barbed wire match is great stuff.

Cide vs Joe at Reborn Stage One is constantly talked about. The finish was pretty nuts.

Also, the build up to Homicide's title shot against Danielson at Final Battle 2006 was pretty well done especially Him and Joe vs The Briscoes from Glory By Honor 5, his match against Adam Pearce in a cage, as well as, obviously, him vs Danielson at Final Battle for the title. The emotion that night was off the charts and I've never seen anything like that ever again. Although it might not feel that important if you haven't followed the promotion and the feud. Watching it on DVD or a computer is also just not the same.

I always thought Homicide was a great wrestler because he mixed in technical wrestling with hardcore brawling. However, his best matches almost always involved some kind of no DQ stipulation. Homicide is loved for his character and the emotion he brings into his matches. That's where his popularity stems from...at least in my opinion. You can't see that stuff from him in TNA and that's the difference.

The Corino feud in ROH that spanned basically late 2002-2006.

The Cabana feud, which I believe started in late 2005 and ended early 2006.

His matches with Samoa Joe in 2004.

He had a really good match with Bryan Danielson on one of the original Reborn shows, and then the following year they had a pretty good Best of Five series.

I've been lucky enough to have seen Homicide wrestler as far back as 2001. He worked at an indy fed I did ring crew at that had shows at the Elks Lodge on Queens Blvd. in Queens. He was always a really nice guy to talk to. His is a true professional in everything he does. I remember one time after setting up the ring Cide and Low-Ki (who was trained by Cide) got in the ring and for an hour straight, for the ring crew, they just chain-wrestled. it was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. By the end, neither guy was blown up on bit. Cide is one of my all-time favorites, and right now in my top 3 favorites to watch.