TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
fazzle

12/31/07 Raw Spoilers

Dear lord, thank you for delivering to me that which I desired most: somebody punching an ally in the face to deliberately get the other guy disqualified.

No kidding. KANE of all people was the first person I recall seeing figure this strategy out at Survivor Series 98.

Goldust did it in 1997 when he casually punched Jesse James in the face during a match with dress-wearing Pillman.

Edit: Come to think of it, it was actually an elbow drop.

I just don't get that, you know. Surely the ref should be able to make a call of "this person is attacking one competitor directly to help another" and make the DQ, as opposed to "this person is attacking one competitor for reasons unrelated to this contest" and call it a no contest. But maybe that requires the ref to make too much of a judgement call (this is all in kayfabe, obviously).

I think the reason why we don't see it more is otherwise every sneaky heel champion will be punched in the back of the head by his bodyguard/manager/sidekick within three seconds of the start of every match, and they'd basically have to put a blanket rule in place to give a kayfabe reason why someone couldn't just keep doing that.

I know it's completely random but..

During the part of the broadcast I did watch, I couldn't help but notice there's a huge TNN logo in HBK's Tron. Wow, that's just completely lazy. Shouldn't they have edited that out by now? I mean, there hasn' even BEEN a TNN in over 4 years.

Edit: actually, just went and watched it on WWE.com to make sure I didn't imagine it, and there's three obvious shots of the TNN logo in the entire thing.

Dear lord, thank you for delivering to me that which I desired most: somebody punching an ally in the face to deliberately get the other guy disqualified.

No kidding. KANE of all people was the first person I recall seeing figure this strategy out at Survivor Series 98.

Goldust did it in 1997 when he casually punched Jesse James in the face during a match with dress-wearing Pillman.

Edit: Come to think of it, it was actually an elbow drop.

I just don't get that, you know. Surely the ref should be able to make a call of "this person is attacking one competitor directly to help another" and make the DQ, as opposed to "this person is attacking one competitor for reasons unrelated to this contest" and call it a no contest. But maybe that requires the ref to make too much of a judgement call (this is all in kayfabe, obviously).

I think the reason why we don't see it more is otherwise every sneaky heel champion will be punched in the back of the head by his bodyguard/manager/sidekick within three seconds of the start of every match, and they'd basically have to put a blanket rule in place to give a kayfabe reason why someone couldn't just keep doing that.

This is one of the problems though that relates back to the big bad evil boss. Why even have to go through all this when all Mcmahon has to do is go down and tell the ref to DQ his victim, call for the bell/stop the match, or whatever any time he chooses like he has done so in the past? this is why I hate the idea of a evil chairman/owner being involved in storylines, there are so many holes and flaws to the booking and logic.

Well, the trouble is if you start to think, the whole thing goes out of the window. Any and all invasion angles, for starters. If the owner of the fed doesn't like what's going on he can stop booking people in matches. If they show up and attack (on television!) he should call the police to arrest them, and that TV footage is proof. Restraining orders, etc.

The trouble with logic in wrestling is you either have to have a lot of it or none of it. It's the same with kayfabe. You either have it, or you play the whole thing for comedy. This is why i don't like the D-X 'fourth wall in-jokes' thing. It's fine, and it can be amusing, but it ruins the rest of the show.

Guest Hasbeen2

I wish in such angles, the owner or GM would tell Maria or whoever is doing the interviewing he's letting such things go due to the ratings it gets-even if he doesn't like what's happening.

For those who downloaded RAW (or have a way to look back on it now somehow), look at HBK's *Generic walking down the corridor cause I got a match* bit just after the Flair video package. He doesn't look too good on those legs, how screwed are his knees?

The thing is, if you start bringing up the ratings on TV you become like TNA and it's embarrassing. Some things need to not be mentioned.

On this topic I thought the NWO angle got insanely played out after maybe 5 months. It was great initially because we weren't sure what was going on or who was joining. Once everyone was locked in and joined the group though it was obvious that these guys were simply a faction within WCW's roster rather than an actual invading group.

Guest Hasbeen2

True, but I'd just say it often enough to ground the GM's allowing such things in some kind of logic. Not every week, over even every month.