TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrainYou42

Landlord

So, for the third day in a row, my landlord has come into my apatment, without me being here, and I'm pretty fed up with it, any ideas on how to send him the message that he needs to knock it off?

Yeah, usually that is illegal if I'm not mistaken.

You could always rig a trap (OK, probably too extreme) or just put a note somewhere behind the door that says "Hey, this is my place, go fuck off you stupid cunt", or something like that.

Actually, just googled this (I see in your profile it says you live in Maine), from "Pine Tree Legal Assistance" under "rights of tentants":

"Can my landlord come into my apartment or house at any time?

No. If your landlord wants to come into your home to make non-emergency repairs, or to show or inspect the apartment, she must give you "reasonable notice." Normally, this means at least 24 hours notice.

Your landlord can come in only at "reasonable times." Generally, this means during the daytime or evening, not in the middle of the night. There may be other factors that make certain times "unreasonable" for you.

Exception: If there is an emergency, your landlord can enter after a shorter notice or without notice. For example, the pipes burst or there is a fire in your apartment."

It goes on to say that you can sue your landlord, potentially, for this.

Guest Vitamin X

I know that in some states, it's not illegal to do that. I suppose in Maine and in Oregon yeah, but I remember when I lived in Florida, when they said they were replacing the air filters, they didn't give us any kind of notice, they would knock and if no one would answer, just walk on in and replace `em.

I always thought that was kinda fucked, personally. What the hell is your landlord doing that they need to go in there, without notice and without you being there, for three days straight?

My old landlord did this and I called him on it. Told him to check to see if I am around and I will let you in, but if not stay the hell out. I was moving anyways and I didn't give a damn anymore at that point.

The landlord owns about 80% of the apartments in the old city and out of all my friends and associates that rented from him I was the only one to get my full safety deposit back from him.

You know those string poppers they have around the fourth of July? If you can find some of those, rig one or two up on your front door when you leave.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Fuckin' A, Slim. Renting is for suckers. The minor pain in the ass that is home repair is a tiny tradeoff for the extent of personal freedom that comes with being a homeowner.

If you have to go bankrupt to buy a starter house, then you're either living in the wrong part of town, or you need to stop fucking around at McDonald's. My first house was a two-bedroom piece of shit in the "low class" part of town that I bought at 23 on an E-5's pay... I fixed it up to make it liveable, and lived there until I could afford a better house.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Counting EVERYTHING that went in to buying my property, I got half an acre in the middle of nowhere with a livable trailer for 27.5. Three and a quarter a month, not counting utilities. That's less than everyone I saw in the rent thread a little while back.

I'm going to be moving out of my moms house most likely this summer... I can't stand having no privacy anymore. Yesterday my mom decided to go through my things and found some weed roaches of mine and flushed them down the toilet.

I'm going to be moving out of my moms house most likely this summer... I can't stand having no privacy anymore. Yesterday my mom decided to go through my things and found some weed roaches of mine and flushed them down the toilet.

Does this not surprise anyone else?

Guest Vitamin X
Counting EVERYTHING that went in to buying my property, I got half an acre in the middle of nowhere with a livable trailer for 27.5. Three and a quarter a month, not counting utilities. That's less than everyone I saw in the rent thread a little while back.

`course, the downside to this is that you live in the middle of buttfuck Indiana.

Renting does suck, but it is possible to save in the meantime, especially when you're working your way towards a higher paying job. Then again, it's all irrelevant if you have bad credit, too.

He's since stopped comming into my apartment, although his daughter and her husband just moved in next door, and his niece and one of her friends moved in down stairs, his niece and my girlfriend already got into an argument, I'm looking at moving out, SOON.

I'm trying to get out of my lease early, so that I can relocate closer to my new job, and also get a bigger place. (The place I'm in now is a hole in the wall.)

I called my landlord to ask about ending the lease a few days ago and he said "I'm busy now, we'll talk about it tomorrow.", and I've not heard from him. I'm going to call him now and bring it up again. If he won't let me, is there any loop-holes I can use to get out? I've finished 6 months out of my 1 year lease, and I live in Toronto. I read up on it, and all I came up with was that I'm pretty much at the mercy of my landlord.

Edit: Okay, he says that it will be okay if I can find a replacement. Anyone interested? :P

I'm trying to get out of my lease early, so that I can relocate closer to my new job, and also get a bigger place. (The place I'm in now is a hole in the wall.)

I called my landlord to ask about ending the lease a few days ago and he said "I'm busy now, we'll talk about it tomorrow.", and I've not heard from him. I'm going to call him now and bring it up again. If he won't let me, is there any loop-holes I can use to get out? I've finished 6 months out of my 1 year lease, and I live in Toronto. I read up on it, and all I came up with was that I'm pretty much at the mercy of my landlord.

Edit: Okay, he says that it will be okay if I can find a replacement. Anyone interested? :P

If he didn't let you out, you could always sub-lease it if the landlord allows it.

If not, try and come to a compromise on paying out the rest of your lease, because that is the only way you will get out of it with six months to go.

Otherwise, you're pretty much stuck unless you find a replacement, or subletting.