TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jaxxson Mayhem

Netgear WG111 Wireless Adapter to Xbox 360

Which is the cheapest route to go? I'll pay the $100 for the Wireless Adapter if I have to, but if I can save a few bucks, so be it.

If you check around, you could find a wireless bridge for cheaper. Plus then if you hook up a hub to it you could have multiple Ethernet devices on.

You can, but you need to turn off the DHCP server in it and turn it into a switch. But if you are going that route, why not just buy a long ethernet cable and go direct from your router to your 360 without having this in the way?

You can, but you need to turn off the DHCP server in it and turn it into a switch. But if you are going that route, why not just buy a long ethernet cable and go direct from your router to your 360 without having this in the way?

Cause I already have a long ethernet cable running from the router to my desktop. This way, less cables running along the floor.

I'm in a similar boat; What makes a wireless bridge different from a wireless router? How do things connect to a bridge? What's the range like? What can I connect to it?

Bridging and Routing are both ways of performing data control, but work through different methods. Bridging takes place at OSI Model Layer 2 (Data-Link Layer) while Routing takes place at the OSI Model Layer 3 (Network Layer). This difference means that a bridge directs frames according to hardware assigned MAC addresses while a router makes its decisions according to arbitrarily assigned IP Addresses. As a result of this, bridges are not concerned with and are unable to distinguish networks while routers can.

When designing a network, you can choose to put multiple segments into one bridged network or to divide it into different networks interconnected by routers. If a host is physically moved from one network area to another in a routed network, it has to get a new IP address; if this system is moved within a bridged network, it doesn't have to reconfigure anything.