TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

1986 TSM Baseball Simulation League

There's no way to rest a player for just a game and "resting" a player doesn't really have any effect on that player. In the regular version of Strat-O-Matic there is a setting to prevent a player from being overused but the Sporting News version has no usage controls. It would have been nice though to have a daily line-ups option like how you can pre-assign your starting pitcher for each game in advance.

Pretty much all of my hitters are under-performing their real-life stats, despite the fact that I picked the best hitters park available. My pitchers are pretty awful across the board, too, but I expected that coming in.

Since I'm an idiot, I've decided to start tinkering with the per game starters and lineups so anything good that I had going is starting to turn bad. Doesn't help that one of my best hitters, Rick Burleson, is out for this series against the Hellraisers.

Pretty much all of my hitters are under-performing their real-life stats, despite the fact that I picked the best hitters park available. My pitchers are pretty awful across the board, too, but I expected that coming in.

This is something I've took in consideration, but haven't quite figured out yet. The entire league has been cut by 14 teams from actual 1986. That takes out quite a bit of the scrubs. The star players in this league will almost certainly produce lower numbers than their real life counterparts, due to the increased competition.

I guess that makes sense, but I still don't like that Andre Dawson's OPS is almost cut in half, Wade Bogg's OBP is .100 points lower, while Chris Speier is my best hitter and has already hit 2 more homers in half as many games as he did in real life.

I love the pitching line from Dennis Rasmussen in my last game:

1 1/3 IP, 2 hits, 7 runs (none earned), and 6 walks.

"Dennis Rasmussen(2-7) took the loss. He was a hard-luck loser as he did not allow an earned run in his 1 and 1/3 innings of work."

Wow and it was all in one inning too.

*** TOP OF INNING 2 ***
0     D.Evans              1 2 Base Error - 2B              b-2             gb(2B)x 
0  2  T.Wallach            4 1 Base Error - LF              2-3 b-1         fly(LF)x 
0 1 3 D.Thon               4 Force Play (C)                 3-H 1-o b-1     catch-x 
1 1   K.Moreland           1 Wild Pitch                     1-2             
1  2  K.Moreland           4 Walk                           b-1             
1 12  P.Bradley            7 Home Run (CF)                  2-H 1-H b-H     
1     R.Roenicke           4 Walk                           b-1             
1 1   K.Bass               5 Walk                           1-2 b-1         
1 12  D.Mattingly          4 Walk                           2-3 1-2 b-1     
1 123 D.Concepcion         5 Single (RF)                    3-H 2-H 1-3 b-1 
                             SUBSTITUTE P - Don Carman
1 1 3 D.Evans              4 Strike Out                     b-0             
2 1 3 T.Wallach            6 1 Base Error - SS              3-H 1-2 b-1     gb(SS)x 
2 12  D.Thon               5 Foul Out (SS)                  b-0             bpSI 1-5

Since I'm an idiot, I've decided to start tinkering with the per game starters and lineups so anything good that I had going is starting to turn bad. Doesn't help that one of my best hitters, Rick Burleson, is out for this series against the Hellraisers.

I'll admit to micromanaging my batting order. It's part of the fun, and I was pretty successful up until the last couple series.

Guest Smues

One of my relievers, Tony Arnold, has pitched 58 innings through 57 games, without making one start. I only even noticed because he's pitched enough innings to qualify for the ERA title at the moment. In real life the dude pitched just 25 1/3 in 1986. And in fact he just needs another 21 innings in the league to throw more than the real Tony Arnold threw in his career. Huzzah randomness!

I'm up to 12 losses in a row now (and 10 less wins over-all than the next worse team).

Last in runs scored and runs allowed. I'm going after the '62 Mets here.

"Bombers" win! "Bombers" win!

Amazing how they can suck so bad and still attract 45K people to a game.

Never underestimate the appeal of the Kingdome.

Woo hoo, eight game winning streak and now tied for 1st. I'm hoping my team is doing it's best impression of the Oakland teams of earlier this decade of always getting off to terrible starts and then playing red hot the rest of the year.

Now watch me get swept by the Bombers.

Wow... since backing off

I've gone 6-1 in my last 7 games including a run differential of: 22 with my only loss being a 1-0 game. I had 4 games with 11+ runs scored including ending a 2/3 series with a 16-7 beatdown.

I still lead the league in Runs Allowed but am sitting in 4th in Runs Scored.

I'm 15-12 (27 games) in 1 run games and 5-4 in extra inning games.

My hitting has definitely been my strong point though: As for team stats, 2nd in AB, 1st in BB, 2nd in BA, 1st in OBP, and all this despite being 2nd to last in SB (79.4% as a team). I also have the 3rd fewest HR as well.

I made several roster moves to help better my defense which will definitely be seen more vs. LHP at the moment...

I grabbed Rick Dempsey, a defensive minded LHP killing machine at SS named Alvaro Espinoza and everybody's favorite former ESPN analyst at 2B Harold Reynolds!

Also made some RP changes to try and help shore up the bullpen some to tackle LHB or RHB depending on the situation with Jerry Reed and Brad Havens against LHB and Bill Dawley against RHB.

Guest Smues
Scary thought: Smues is actually underperforming his Pythagorean record by a game.

Awesome

The Indians have the worst offense in the league and I knew that would start to kill me if the pitching took a hit, which it did with my braindead idea to try and move to a 5 man rotation instead of 3 (since all 3 SPs I originally had had the * next to them) to save some wear and tear. Garrelts seems to be a good pickup at least. So I overhauled the offense again picking up Buckner and a couple other guys.