TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

4/25 Smackdown Spoilers

DARK MATCHES

Funaki defeated Stu Stiggs (sp?)

After the match, Chuck Palumbo came out and made fun of the fans for cheering Funaki's win like he won the World Heavyweight Title. Palumbo offered his bike to Funaki if he could beat him. Palumbo squashed Funaki.

SMACKDOWN

The show begins with Edge, GM Vickie Guerrero, Teddy Long, Chavo Guerrero, Bam Neely, and the Edgeheads in the ring. Vickie announces that tonight's Undertaker/Batista World Title match is now a no disqualification match. CM Punk interrupts. He brags about his Money in the Bank briefcase. He tells Vickie to make a match with him vs. Edge tonight. Vickie obliges.

Shannon Moore (w/ Jimmy Wang Yang) defeated the Miz with John Morrison on commentary. Moore pinned Miz with a backslide after Miz missed a kick.

Natalya (w/ Victoria) defeated Cherry (w/ Michelle McCool) with the sharpshooter. She was only announced as "Natalya" so it seems she's no longer a Neidhart in WWE land.

Michael Cole is in the ring for an interview with Matt Hardy. Hardy proclaims himself 100% and ready to take the U.S. Title at Backlash. MVP comes out and they talk trash to each other about the match at Backlash. MVP tries to talk Hardy out of the match and ends up smacking him with the microphone. He then lays him out with the U.S. Title belt.

Edge defeated CM Punk. Punk was distracted by Hawkins and Ryder, which lead to a spear from Edge for the win.

Vladimir Kozlov squashed local jobber, Marty Garner. You may remember Garner as MVP's debut jobber opponent at No Mercy 2006.

In the main event, the Undertaker defeated Batista to retain the World Heavyweight Title. Shawn Michaels did a run-in from the crowd and hit Batista with a superkick. Michaels high-tailed it back through the crowd as Taker tombstoned him for the win.

End of show.

Notes:

Mike Adamle brought out a monstrous notebook with him along with a photobook. After the ECW taping finished, Adamle goofed and stayed at ringside until Michael Cole & Jonathan Coachman came out. Adamle was so late getting out of ringside that he was still in the aisle walking backstage when Edge's theme music played at the start of Smackdown.

Anyone want to venture a guess as to why they keep jobbing Punk out to Edge? They put the MITB on the guy but since WM he's lost televised matches to Jericho (at least got a win back there), Regal, and now Edge. How is this booking productive in terms of building a guy up?

This should be as good as most episodes of Smackdown. Taker/Batista should be a full match this week since it's for the title. Edge/Punk and Moore/Miz will both be pretty good, and I totally dug Kozlov's squash last week -- especially that headbutt to the chest.

Anyone want to venture a guess as to why they keep jobbing Punk out to Edge? They put the MITB on the guy but since WM he's lost televised matches to Jericho (at least got a win back there), Regal, and now Edge. How is this booking productive in terms of building a guy up?

Because Edge has a title shot on sunday and CM Punk doesn't?

A guy doesn't have to win to be built up.

Especially against a World champion. (If Punk losing to Edge is bad for Punk, what would Edge losing to Punk be?) Maybe he had a good showing against one of the best. Plus, he needed to be distracted to lose. I doubt its gonna hinder Punk's progress.

Punk's still a long way away from being protected, so losing to a 4/5-time world champ due to interference isn't the worst thing in the world. Didn't Edge job around and piddle in the midcard for a whole year after winning MITB?

I still say that every match is booked according to what they have planned for both guys. Well, at least when more than one "pushed guy" is in the match.

I still say that every match is booked according to what they have planned for both guys. Well, at least when more than one "pushed guy" is in the match.

I just don't get once Punk loses a match or two, everyone thinks he's either in the doghouse or being depushed. Wrestlers lose matches all the time. A wrestler winning or losing a match doesn't matter, it depends on how both wrestlers look during the matches that helps get them over.

More Mike Adamle hijinx.

After the ECW taping concluded, Mike Adamle remained seated at the announcers desk for several minutes. He appeared to have no idea that he was supposed to leave the ringside area. Michael Cole and Jonathan Coachman were walking to the ring by the time Adamle got up to head backstage. He was so late leaving that Edge's entrance music was playing for his appearance on Smackdown while Adamle was still walking to the backstage area.

Because people don't know what the term jobbed out means Scroby. This is Punk's 4th match this week, he went in against a guy who has title match sunday, and has momentum on his side after getting a pin on a monster Monday. He also needed his "clique" to beat Punk. Who in reality is still feeling the effects of having 3 matches earlier in the week.

But hey, who am I kidding? It's obvious Punk is getting jobbed out and buried. It's not like he got screwed over in both of his losses this week.

Yea, here's a headline from WWE.com, and a pretty good write up of the build for this week. Really wouldn't make much sense for Punk to be losing to Edge going with that.

GREENVILLE, S.C. – One man can only take so much. Despite a valiant (and bloody) effort, CM Punk finally succumbed to the relentless punishment foisted upon him during the King of the Ring Tournament.

Punk was forced to confront the returning rampage of Matt Hardy in the first round only to battle Intercontinental Champion Chris Jericho in the Semifinal Match. After clawing through these two, the Straightedge Superstar found himself facing off against a blood-thirsty William Regal in the final match.

Unfortunately for Punk, even Mr. Money in the Bank only had so much in reserve. After overcoming an onslaught of adversity, the Straightedge Superstar finally tapped out, yielding to the royal thrashing administered by Regal. After the match, the busted open King of the Ring hopeful required medical attention, receiving a number of stitches, ironically, on the crown of his head.

Just because it doesn't hurt as bad Friday (before a match) as it did Monday, doesn't mean much. Once the match start the nagging injuries will show back up. That can go for any kind of nagging injuries, which is what makes them nagging injuries.

Punk beats the to-be US champion Matt Hardy, defeats former main eventer and current IC champion Chris Jericho (and escapes the Walls of Jericho from the middle of the ring), and almost wins the KOTR (losing to a man who had much easier matches), but he loses to one of the company's best heels so he's being jobbed out and booked poorly. Just another day on TSM. bps' argument about Punk not even being involved with the PPV has merit though... but hey, maybe he WILL be involved. He always has that MITB contract ready to go.

Well...I don't care that he lost to those people. I don't think he's anywhere near being ready to cash it in anyway... I just find it funny that they moved him from the midcard to the slightly higher midcard as a result of his big win. It's gonna take a long way for anyone to buy he could win a World title. I'd like to see them...you know...put him in a feud that he comes out of looking better. This whole idea that it's "how good you look losing" is kind of lost when the matches aren't part of a storyline or being built to get anyone over in the first place.

Right. Your point having nothing to do with THE point, as usual.

If WWE.com is playing up the injuries as the reason he lost to Regal...

Then Edge (being a good heel) should be going after that. and Punk (having been injured and it being pushed on the companies own website) should be selling it.

It's a pretty straightforward idea.

Wrestlers are hurt all the time...they don't all get covered by the company. To ignore it on TV then would be stupid.

Now...maybe they don't. It isn't that specific in the spoilers. But there's no reason they shouldn't...since in the WWE's perfect world everyone will have seen it on Monday, read about it on their site on Tuesday and then watched the show Friday.

I wasn't really talking about the stitches, I didn't even know about that until after I posted. I was talking about his back, which what he was selling before and after the match with Regal. When you add on he got stitched up along with having a sore back, I think my point was made even more. My point being that it made sense for Punk to lose to Edge, he was too banged up from Monday night. Edge was basically fresh going in to the match on SD, and he still needed help to beat a hurt Punk. This doesn't hurt Punk at all, which is what I've been saying.

I agree with BPS, good psycology would be Punk selling his back after being put in the walls of Jericho and the Regal Stretch and Edge going after it during the match. However can we really say that this didn't happen if no one here has seen the match yet? Do we actually know if Punk pulled a Shane McMahon or not?

Then we should wait until Friday when the match happens and sees how it goes.

However I'm happily calling Cabbageboy a idiot for freaking out everytime Punk loses and starting up the same fucking pointless argument everytime Punk does lose.

Anyway, back on topic after cabbage's "CM Punk lost a match :(" routine...

Neidhart using the Sharpshooter is good stuff.

I'm interested in a more detailed account of that opening segment - as it is, I'm not following Punk's motivation for randomly interrupting a segment. If Edge and/or Chavo were still champions, ok, he has the MITB contract and is making his pressence known. Right now it reads as the heels were doing a promo and Punk decided "Hey people I've not been interacting with lately! I've had 4 matches this week, maybe I'll have another one!".

Now it sounds like Punk is just being a dick.

You may remember Garner as MVP's debut jobber opponent at No Mercy 2006

It's kind of funny that I do, yet there isn't much else I can remember off hand about the card outside of the fatal 4 way main event and London/Kendrick vs. KC James and Idol Stevens (also an odd match to remember). That's wrestling memory for you.

Another spoiler update. Whoever sent in Meltzer's spoilers claimed they are now referring to Natalya Neidhart as just "Natalya".

Another spoiler update. Whoever sent in Meltzer's spoilers claimed they are now referring to Natalya Neidhart as just "Natalya".

I think that's more of a common Diva trend than a character re-name. I'm sure they'll be all over her heritage when she uses the Sharpshooter finisher. Or they could just call her "The Natalya".

Punk's still a long way away from being protected, so losing to a 4/5-time world champ due to interference isn't the worst thing in the world. Didn't Edge job around and piddle in the midcard for a whole year after winning MITB?

I recall him jobbing to Benoit the night after he won MITB and he then jobbed to Batista (I think) after he won another title shot. I know there were more jobs then that, but those were the first 2 that came to mind