TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

Wii Fit

I was at the Nintendo store in NYC on Wii Fit launch day, craziness in there! I liked randomly spotting people in the city carrying Wii Fit around throughout the day.

I saw a guy with one in a TRU bag on the Subway on Wednesday. I thought the guy was gutsy walking around with it like that.

Does it have varying difficulties as you progress?

Well, yes. You only start off with I'll say 5 poses or so and then you gradually unlock more as you go. I'm finding them harder as they go. The last one I unlocked was "the chair" pose. I'm a strong guy, I squat over 300 pounds for sets of 12 and my legs were shaking like crazy trying to hold the chair pose for 40 seconds.

As for the rest of the game, I've started unlocking some of the more fun stuff... like the boxing cardio game and the advanced step cardio game. The advanced boxing is super fun and a pretty decent workout for the 6 minutes it takes. Do it 3-4 times in a row and you're set.

I see myself getting better at a lot of the workouts already.

That's awesome. How long do the yoga workouts last normally?

Not like at all. If it's a "hold" pose... it's just once. So about 1-2 minutes. And if it's a pose where you repeat it a few times (like 'sun salutation') you generally just repeat it 3 times.

So if you wanted a yoga workout equivalent to a class then you'd have to repeat the poses maybe 2-3-4 times each.

Just last night I unlocked "the triangle", "downward facing dog" and "the dancer". The triangle is hard as hell... I can barely do it let alone hold it for the time and I watched the demo for "the dancer" and decided to save it for a later date.

So it's a decent beginner's course. I enjoy it, though, so I'm hoping they come out with a Yoga game for the balance board that's a bit more intense. This has all you need but it's pretty basic.

I figure that it costs me $25 for a semester of yoga/aerobics/cross training/etc courses at the gym at UMD where I work. And it's gotta be better than Wii fit. I'm sure however cute the Mii's teaching are, the (invariably female) KNES majors teaching class here are cuter...