TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

1up on Dead Rising Wii changes

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3168849

The new port, called Dead Rising: Zombie Sacrifice in Japan.

Well, truth in advertising at least!

As Nakai puts it, Zombie Sacrifice came about following the success of Resident Evil 4's Wii port, which sold over half a million copies in the U.S. despite being only slightly enhanced from the GameCube original. Nakai also saw it as an opportunity to attract a new audience to his game: "The 360 version was hard to get to grips with, in a good way. You died a lot in the beginning, and you have to raise your level if you want to proceed in the story. It's a really fun game if you can deal with that, but I think some of the experience was a little rough for casual users. That's why we're adjusting the game to make it easier to play."

As part of that effort, Dead Rising's controls and method of storytelling are both going to see some revisions. The basic game is unchanged, of course -- you play freelance journalist Frank West as he infiltrates a zombie-infested mall, helps out survivors, and fights hordes of the undead all by himself. The story structure is a bit different from the 360 version, however: Instead of having your janitor friend Otis continually tell you about things to investigate via your transceiver, the game will proceed in a more traditional, less time-sensitive fashion. "In the Xbox 360 version, the story proceeded as time passed, and you'd get messages about how there are survivors at this or that location that you should check out," Nakai told Famitsu. "With this version, that aspect of the game is now treated as a series of submissions. As you advance through the main story, Otis will give you three or four submissions at once; when you finish those, the main scenario advances. This results in us being able to put a lot more story volume to the game."

In addition to a revised story structure, the Wii version of Dead Rising will feature new enemies and items, as well as a behind-the-shoulder camera system modeled after Resident Evil 4's. (Nakai noted that Frank won't be able to take photographs of things in the Wii version because that system doesn't work very well with this new camera.) This being a Wii port, of course, brand-new motion controls are naturally in the offing -- you'll press directions on the control pad to switch between weapons instantly, use an onscreen reticule to target enemies when you're wielding a gun, and even shake the Wii-mote around to ward off zombies or swing blunt weapons. "Basically, you use the Nunchuk to move and the Wii-mote to perform actions," Nakai told Famitsu. "You can press the A button to attack with your subweapon, but you can also attack by swinging the Wii-mote. That makes the attack stronger but expands the backswing -- sort of like regular and heavy punches in a fighting game."

Most of that all sounds good.

My main problem I had with Dead Rising was the storyline was fine, but there wasn't enough time to do EVERYTHING in the game, it was such a difficult task. I'm glad they've sorted that out.

An over the shoulder camera angle thats akin to RE4? Hmmm, do you know what that makes it sound like? A PROPER Resident Evil game with zombies. That is good.

I think it makes it a teeny bit more realistic.. well, as realistic as you can get for the zombie genre. ;)

Ie: If you're in the situation, you're certainly not going to have an overhead view of things to see what's coming down the pipe. I like this idea, but who knows, they say modelled after RE4, so it might not be exactly the same.

They're just different types of games is all. In the admittedly little time I've had with Resident Evil 4, you could usually keep your enemies in front of you, more or less. In Dead Rising, they're pretty much everywhere. Even when you're able to see what's sneaking up on you, it's still a little tough to turn around and hit it in time.

I don't know that you'd get the full comedic effect of swinging a guitar if the view is from the back of your head, either.