TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boxer

Contracts that guarentted a title run?

I know that Hogan had in his contracts that they promised him a title run with whatever company he signed with.

Who else had iron clad guarantees of a title run either when they jumped ship to another company or re-signed with the same company?

If my memory serves me right, didn't Goldberg's WWE contract guarentee a world title run?

Also, if contracts did guarantee a title run, were any promises broken?

I know that Hogan had in his contracts that they promised him a title run with whatever company he signed with.

Who else had iron clad guarantees of a title run either when they jumped ship to another company or re-signed with the same company?

If my memory serves me right, didn't Goldberg's WWE contract guarentee a world title run?

Also, if contracts did guarantee a title run, were any promises broken?

I don't believe any wrestler, including Hogan, has had a guaranteed title run written into their contract. No promoter would lock themselves into something like that. Hogan didn't really need such a clause anyway; his creative control meant that, title or not, he'd always be on top.

I thought that's what WCW promised him when they signed him in 1994. I guess I was wrong.

While we're on this subject, since WCW gave a few contracts creative control, what happened when two wrestlers who were maybe booked with each other both veto'd something?

Like Hogan and Nash for example.

If they both had CC, and both said they wouldn't lose to the other, what would/could happen?

While we're on this subject, since WCW gave a few contracts creative control, what happened when two wrestlers who were maybe booked with each other both veto'd something?

If they both had CC, and both said they wouldn't lose to the other, what would/could happen?

Non-finish.

It might have been debunked, but I thought WCW promised Konnan the US Title in an effort to get him and the luchadores to sign with the company.

It might have been debunked, but I thought WCW promised Konnan the US Title in an effort to get him and the luchadores to sign with the company.

In his shoot interview with RF, Konnan claims that, amongst other things promised to him in order to get him and the rest of the Mexican wrestlers, he was promised a run tagging with Hogan. He might have been promised a US title run, but if he was, I think it was about the only thing promised to him that actually happened.

Wasn't Big Show promised a run with the title his first year in WWE? That was part of his contract, no?

Nope.

This has been years ago but here's what I recall about Big Show (and I might be wrong). He didn't technically have a clause saying he HAD to get a title run, but if he didn't get the title then he would get a 6 figure payout. I think that's why they put the belt on him in late 1999 despite him not really being near the title before that point, and also not really being over enough for it.

This has been years ago but here's what I recall about Big Show (and I might be wrong). He didn't technically have a clause saying he HAD to get a title run, but if he didn't get the title then he would get a 6 figure payout. I think that's why they put the belt on him in late 1999 despite him not really being near the title before that point, and also not really being over enough for it.

Where did you hear this?

Show got the belt when did because Austin went down and they wanted both to send the fans home happy and justify his near $1m per-year contract. I don't think I've heard anyone put forward the story that Show had some kind of penalty clause in his contract.

I remember hearing that TAKA Michinoku was promised a run as the first WWF LHW Champion when he signed with the company. I have no idea if that was actually in the contract, or just sort of a hand shake promise though.

I don't even remember now where I heard that Big Show rumor. It was just some sort of net rumor that made the rounds back in 1999. I also recall another rumor saying Show had a clause in his contract that he had to be in the main event of WM in 2000 or else he got a big payout. Perhaps this was all just people speculating as to why he was getting the belt and main events when he clearly wasn't over enough to warrant it?

Finger poke of doom. I'm being serious.

Also, I couldn't picture Hogan and Konnan tagging.

The Fingerpoke wasn't because a finish wasn't agreed upon. It was just a way for Nash and Hogan to re-unify, which would only be possible if Hogan had the belt. Nash gets to end the streak and Hogan gets the belt back ultimately without having to claim that Nash lost the belt in a "legitimate" fashion. This was just a circle jerk.