TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steviekick

Questions on buying a PC for the first time...

So my trusty iBook is dead, and I'm going to replace it with some sort of Windows based laptop. This will be the first non-Apple computer I have ever purchased and feel somewhat clueless going in.

What are some things I should consider/be aware of?

That's actually the one I was considering as well. What's the story on Dell laptops? I've heard good things in general, but every once in a while you get a horror story.

Like I said earlier, I'm going to be using mine mostly for work. That means a lot of Microsoft Office and internet, but not much else. I want a solid machine, but nothing extravagant.

Again I had and have a positive experience with Dell laptops. I'm sure with all products, there have to be lemons. The good thing about them is that you can customize them. I think for the most part they are reasonable in price.

With that laptop in the link I would check the Dell forums on the Dell website http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/?~ck=mn and see what problems come up for that model.

Guest Smues

I've had good experiences with Dell and Sony laptops and ok experiences with Toshiba and HP.

All of our office laptops are Dell, and we haven't had many issues. They're pretty durable too. I'm at least the third person to use the laptop I currently have, and I've had it for two years just myself, so it's probably 4-5 years old, which is ancient for a laptop. Consistant use and lots of travel, and other than I think a fan is dying/dead it's still kicking.

That reminds me, my on campus job made me use these new HP laptops. They had a few pop ups telling me to back up the system and I think check for updates. Also, the network drivers mysterious uninstalled from my computer one night. I swear I didn't do it. Overall, the experience wasn't bad.

I have had a Sony laptop for 3 years. I love it, even though I wish I could run it with 2 gigs of RAM. With a decent speaker system and a 500 gig external drive, its close to my main system in performance, and that system is 4 years old.

I love my Compaq. Since they got bought out by HP they're way better machines that they used to be. If you have a grand to spend, on top of sales, I imagine you could get a killer machine