TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

CLASSIC VINYL: Rocks

This is my attempt to contribute positively to the music folder. Each week I'll dip into my vinyl collection (comprised mostly of rock albums from the '60s-'80s, with a few notable exceptions), pull out an essential album, drop the needle and post the results. This isn't so much designed to be a review but more of a jumping off point for discussion. I'd envision us debating the merits of each album and whether or not they are rembered correctly by history.

Since my collection is in alphabetical order, the first choice was rather simple.

Aerosmith - Rocks

Aerosmith_-_Rocks.JPG

Released in 1976, this is generally regarded as the peak of Aerosmith's drug-induced '70s output. It is often cited by many musicians as one of rock's most influential albums. This was simply Aerosmith at their best. If you aren't familiar with this era of the band, think Stones with less sensibility, or Zeppelin without the folky mysticism.

Side 1

"Back In The Saddle"

"Last Child"

"Rats In The Cellar"

"Combination"

The first side starts with two of the band's radio classics. Not much new discuss here, as we've heard both of these millions of times. "Last Child", however, may be the funkiest the band ever got. "Rats.." is something of a companion piece to "Toys In The Attic" from the previous album. The side closes with "Combination", Joe Perry's first vocal performance for the band. I consider it a lost classic.

Side 2

"Sick As A Dog"

"Nobody's Fault"

"Get The Lead Out"

"Lick And A Promise"

"Home Tonight"

This is the basically the prototype for all '80s hard rock, for better or worse. It has the bluesy numbers, the heaviness and the ballad. "Nobody's Fault" is probably the hardest number in their entire catalogue. "Home Tonight" was a staple of their early shows, complete with a Joe Perry kitchen-sink solo. Top notch stuff.

Thoughts on this album? This is a band that's historical place has been diminished by their late career output. This might not be the best hard rock album of the era, but it is definitively American, and as influential as it gets.

Aerosmith was at their best when they were in their hair-metal period doing syrupy power ballads co-written with Desmond Child. Their Armageddon song was pretty weak though, probably due to the heavy hand of schlock queen Diane Warren, and I haven't much enjoyed anything they've done since.

You should go ahead with the concept for this to be a weekly happening, but relegate every post to this one thread. I'm sure it will be a rousing success and all, but given the activity levels of Music you could run the risk of over-saturating the folder with Tremendousness.

I am interested in your thoughts on other albums in your collection, but I don't really care about Aerosmith at all.

Guys, I think I might hate Aerosmith. What the hell did I get that tattoo for?

I think their comeback has gone on too long. It sort of peaked with the Alicia Silverstone/Liv Tyler video in the early 90s and they've basically been an American Rolling Stones since then, except without the back catalog of excellent albums to even sort of justify their continued existence.

"Last Child" is possibly my favorite Aerosmith song. Oddly enough, I never really got into them all that much during my classic rock that rocks phase in middle school. I got into virtually every other one of the big staples (Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, AC/DC) but I never really got any Aerosmith outside of a compilation and live album. I liked 'em but I never felt the urge to check out their deep cuts.

I'm not too offended by their sucktitude over the past fifteen years or so. Whoever said they're the bargain bin, American Rolling Stones is spot on.

I had a similar idea for a running thread here where we discuss lesser known albums by popular bands. Now unfortunately, I think my moment has passed. Damn you Cheech!

I just checked the tracklisting for Big Ones and was unfortunately reminded of the existence of "Love in an Elevator." Ugh. If I had to pick a favorite from that bunch, I'd say "What It Takes" is kinda all right. I guess that particular compilation predated their awful song from Armageddon.

Aerosmith was at their best when they were in their hair-metal period doing syrupy power ballads co-written with Desmond Child. Their Armageddon song was pretty weak though, probably due to the heavy hand of schlock queen Diane Warren, and I haven't much enjoyed anything they've done since.

I have to totally disagree with you. The only worthwhile albums in their catalog are Rocks and Toys In The Attic. The comeback stuff from the '80s just sounds so dated now, and everything post-Pump is totally disposable, in my opinion.

I really hated Aerosmith up until a year or so ago. That drug-addled, trashy mess of a band from the '70s is really underrated in the pantheon of great hard rock.

"Last Child", however, may be the funkiest the band ever got.

"Nobody's Fault" is probably the hardest number in their entire catalogue.

I guess these statements kind of sum up my general gripe with Aerosmith: "Last Child" isn't really that funky (it's just mid-tempo), and "Nobody's Fault" isn't very hard. They're a band that, even at their peak, very much occupies the middle. "Back in the Saddle" has a good riff, at least.

Yeah, the New York Dolls are a much better drug-addled, trashy mess of a band from the 70s. Plus, Johnny Thunders did what neither Joe Perry nor Keith Richards could: he died.

Good concept, but I think this album wasn't the best one to start off with. You need something a little more mainstream.

May I suggest some Journey? Or Yes?

I don't see how Aerosmith is not sufficiently mainstream.

But a discussion on Foreigner's 4 would liven up this board. Does it showcase a band at the height of their powers or the beginning of the end? Or both?

This didn't get quite the response that I was hoping for, but I've got some ideas for next week if people are interested in me continuing this concept.

Just to put a bookend on the Rocks discussion, here are some interesting facts:

- Slash once claimed that Rocks changed his life and made him want to be a musician

- Kurt Cobain cited it as one of his favorite albums

- It ranked #176 on Rolling Stone's list of the greatest albums of all time

- "Combination" is Joe Perry's first lead vocal performance. Steven Tyler sings back-up

- "Home Tonight" was the traditional show-closer on their early tours

I may be in the minority but I'd like this thread to be a regular one. Friendly suggestion though, why don't we make it like the Let's Talk About...threads in General Wrestling and have a different person each week start the discussion?

I'd do one, although my collection of "classic vinyl" is pretty limited. I do have this on vinyl:

csrec.jpg

Maybe a little closer to the holiday season.