TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

Sharkwater

So this one falls under the category of "Stumbled across in randomly on TMN and gave it a shot" and man am I glad I did. Easily one of the best nature documentaries I've seen in a long time. I never thought a movie about sharks would be this dark and heartbreaking but it is.

The movie is filmed and narrated by Toronto native Rob Stewart who's been fascinated with sharks since a young age. For the first bit it's basically the standard narrative about how important sharks are to our ecosystem and what their extermination can mean for life on our planet but it really picks up when Paul quits his job as a marine biologist and starts to explore the illegal finning industry particularly exposing the scope and influence of the Asian Government when it comes to pressuring countries like Guatemala, Costa Rico and the Galapagos Islands.

At one point he hooks up with eco-rebel (and some say terrorist) Paul Watson, a guy who's made headlines here in Canada recently when he made comments that four men who'd died in a seal hunt were nothing compared to the thousands of innocent seals that were slaughtered over the years. Rob joins Paul and his crew as they head to the above-mentioned countries to challenge the illegal fisherman and what follows is a study in corruption and wealth.

Well filmed, not preachy and the stuff with Watson really needs to be seen to be believed. Highly recommended.