TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Best MLB Tiebreaker Game?

MLB Tiebreakers  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which MLB Tiebreaker Game was the best?

• Bobby Thomson's Shot Heard Round the World
    • Dodgers win in '59
    • Dodgers blow the lead in '62
    • Bucky F'n Dent
    • Padres/Rockies

Often tiebreak games like tonight are overlooked, probably because they do not show up in postseason results. But there have been some great ones over the years.

October 3, 1951. Dodgers vs. Giants at Polo Grounds, Game Three. Bobby Thomson's home run caps a four run ninth inning as the Giants win the pennant, 5-4.

September 29, 1959. Braves vs. Dodgers at the LA Memorial Coliseum, game two of a three game set. The Braves lead 5-2 going into the ninth, trying to force game three. The Dodgers score three to tie it, and win the pennant with Carl Furillo's single in the 12th.

October 3, 1962. Giants vs. Dodgers at Dodger Stadium, game three. The Dodgers blow a 4-2 lead in the ninth, giving up four runs to the Giants.

October 2, 1978. Yankees vs. Red Sox at Fenway Park. Bucky Dent.

October 1, 2007. Padres vs. Rockies at Coors Field. Padres score two runs in the 13th inning, Rockies score three.

Often tiebreak games like tonight are overlooked, probably because they do not show up in postseason results. But there have been some great ones over the years.

October 3, 1951. Dodgers vs. Giants at Polo Grounds, Game Three. Bobby Thomson's home run caps a four run ninth inning as the Giants win the pennant, 5-4.

September 29, 1959. Braves vs. Dodgers at the LA Memorial Coliseum, game two of a three game set. The Braves lead 5-2 going into the ninth, trying to force game three. The Dodgers score three to tie it, and win the pennant with Carl Furillo's single in the 12th.

October 3, 1962. Giants vs. Dodgers at Dodger Stadium, game three. The Dodgers blow a 4-2 lead in the ninth, giving up four runs to the Giants.

October 2, 1978. Yankees vs. Red Sox at Fenway Park. Bucky Dent.

October 1, 2007. Padres vs. Rockies at Coors Field. Padres score two runs in the 13th inning, Rockies score three.

I've only seen one of those games, so I am hardly qualified to pick one. The '78 playoff, however, is sometimes called one of the greatest games ever played. I have to think it would be the one. Hell, someone even wrote a book about it .

Only one I lived through was last years Rockies/ Padres game, which was a great game....too bad the ump fucked up big time on the last run. Gotta love how you can get tagged and never touch the plate, and still be called safe.

While not a competitive game, there was Randy Johnson's domination of the hapless Angels in 1995, pitching a complete game with three hits and twelve Ks

Well I know what the worst MLB tiebreaker game was. I don't know why we didn't cast off Hoffman after that.