TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

Mother 3 fan translation complete

http://mother3.fobby.net/

And a cool opinion piece from Gamespite.net:

http://www.gamespite.net/

Fans were ecstatic, then, when Nintendo released the Game Boy Advance sequel, Mother 3, a couple years back. But Nintendo of America...seemed less so. There was no word on a domestic release, and slowly but surely, the GBA died off without seeing it brought over. Eventually, frustration gave way to determination, and the folks over at Starmen.net (yes, the ones single-handedly responsible for giving "being an EarthBound fan" that kind of stigma) assembled a team of hackers and writers to produce a professional, localized translation. Two years later, it's finally been released, and based on some of the screenshots they've provided, the localization has fully captured the spirit of EarthBound...

Hats off and a respectful bow to the geekichlorian levels of the Starmen. I'm looking into getting this d/led and patched up ASAP. Of course, I recommend you do this, too. As well as picking up the import game, too, because NOA needs financially teabagged for letting this slip by. :)

NOA sure has disdain for this franchise, don't they? Localizing the first game, then sitting on it for like two years before deciding "Nah, we can't release this, nobody buys RPGs!" (and while I can't say I blame them for not wanting to take the risk, you'd figure it might have been worth trying because if you look at Nintendo's NES release list, you'll find that they published ONE game for NES in 1991 and ONE game in 1992, which is kinda dumb if you ask me.) Saddling the second with one of the worst print ad campaigns in history, featuring scratch-and-sniff cards with the disgusting scents of garlic, pickles and all other kinds of disgusting crap while declaring Earthbound to be "The first game that stinks." And now this. They could've just ported it to DS. Any by "ported" I mean burn the ROM to a DS cart. Not worth the risk? Well, they published Magical Starsign. They published Trace Memory. Nobody bought those games, and if Nintendo hadn't released them over here, how much fanboy bitching would there be? None!

There's also the compilation cart of Mother 1 and 2. Which Nintendo has Nintendo-made translations already done for, which would require almost no effort to plug back into the game (the releases on that comp cart are based on the unreleased US version of Earthbound-0 and Earthbound, including all of the graphical edits!).

I've got it, but haven't had the chance to play it yet. Looking forward to it, though.

Still kicking myself for not being able to convince my mom to pick up Earthbound in its colossal box at Media Play for $200 when I saw it.

Hey thanks for this, I've been waiting for ages to play this. It's just a shame they'll probably never do the Mother1-3 DS game like some fans rumoured about. Maybe on the new DS download system when it comes out.