TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest HHH's 'Roid Needle

Xbox Or Gamecube?

Guest HHH's 'Roid Needle

Tomorrow, HHH's 'Roid Needle turns 22. I'm buying myself either an XBox, or a Gamecube, because if I want a good gift, I've learned I have to buy it myself. I'm need to persuasion here, because I can't fucking decide.

Here's some info. I've got a Playstation. I think that SmackDown and SmackDown2 totally beat the ass of 64's Wrestlemania and No Mercy. WM and No Mercy, IMO, are the 2 worst wrestling games ever, they are just iritating, and you can't do moves. No flow. I HATE maze games where you have to fucking hunt shit down and have to buy a $20 strategy guide just to play. I also am sick of all Hand 2 Hand fighting games, except Mortal Kombat. Which system is THAT for? NFL2k1 and NBA 2k1 were also great games. Based on that useless banter, am I shooting for XBOX or GAMECUBE.

Guest Mattdotcom

GameCubes are cheaper, and WrestleMania X-8 is just an update on the wrestling games you love according to people. But, hating the Aki games....?

Guest Big McLargeHuge
I think that SmackDown and SmackDown2 totally beat the ass of 64's Wrestlemania and No Mercy. WM and No Mercy, IMO, are the 2 worst wrestling games ever, they are just iritating, and you can't do moves. No flow.

Wow.

Guest KANE

Mortal Kombat will be on the 'Cube...I don't know if it's coming to the other systems, though.

Guest Flyboy
I think that SmackDown and SmackDown2 totally beat the ass of 64's Wrestlemania and No Mercy.  WM and No Mercy, IMO, are the 2 worst wrestling games ever, they are just iritating, and you can't do moves.  No flow.

Wow.

Wow, indeed.

Anyhow... to the arguement. GC all the way.

Guest MarvinisaLunatic

Well, you don't have to worry much about fighting games, cause Nintendo hasn't had a decent one since Steet Fighter on the SNES.

They Might get a couple on the gamecube, but nothing like the xbox or PS2.

Plus - GC is 149 which means u can get a game for 200. No game for 200 with X box.

Guest J*ingus

Gamecube, definitely. Who knows if the X-Box will even be around this time next year.

Guest El Psycho Diablo

To be the voice of darkness, here..

The Xbox isn't as bad a system as people think. Microsoft bias clouds a lot of things (particularly among GameFAQs users.). Depending on what kind of games you like, the box is an awesome system on it's own. Loading times are small to nonexisistant, memory cards aren't required, and there are awesome games out. Raw is a decent game, no matter what people say. Legends of Wrestling is worth at least a rental, especially because of the music-rip ability that the other systems don't have. Halo is a blast if you like those kind of games (not only fps, but some squad combat, and vehicles. Yes!). NFL fever is a more than decent football game. As far as cars go, Project Gotham, Rallysport Challenge, and Moto GP are three very amazing racers. Max Payne is a blast, but it's short, so it may be a 'rent before you buy' type thing.

Before buying a new system, do some research. Don't let people's bias and hype get to you. Everybody's different.

-Shiro

Guest redbaron51

X-Box.

Just don't Raw but get DOA instead.

The only Gamecube game i would get is Fire Pro Wrestling which will be coming out to the gamecube some time...

And you must be one f'ed up person to think No Mercy has no flow over Smackdown 2, and also in Smackdown 2 there's a lot of no selling aswell.

Guest The Son of Sting

Soul Caliber 2 is coming out on Gamecube, that will smoke every other fighting game.

The Gamecube will have Mario Sunshine, Zelda and Metriod, thats enough to tell you not to get an X-box.

Guest EQ

It depends on what games you like. I like XBOX and Gamecube. The cube version of Soul Calibur 2 will have Link as a hidden character though. How cool is that?

IMO Soul Calibur is still the best fighting game ever made. It came out in '99 and still blows everything else away today. Soul Calibur 2 will own YOU.

Guest jimmy no nose

Soul Calibur is a simple button masher. I know people talk about how complex the fighting CAN be, but I have actually tested this and you can go the whole story mode thing hitting only the A button.

Mortal Kombat is for every system.

What kind of games do you like? I'll try to break them down for you if you let me know. I seem to be playing my Xbox more, but I love my Gamecube.

Guest Jobber of the Week
Soul Calibur is a simple button masher.

You just lost all your credibility, I'm afraid. SoulCalibur is considered by 99.9999999% out there as the anti-masher. I imagine only VF4 passes it in that. I'm going to clear up some stuff in this thread:

* Link will NOT be a playable character in SC2 for Cube. That was cleared up as simply being a rumor.

* GameFAQs posters are complete morons. You should know that already. =b

* Soul Calibur 2 is coming out on all three platforms.

HHH's Roid Needle:

I own all three systems. If I were you I'd go with the Xbox. It's an incredibly unpopular option here since Nintendo is the favorite of the Old School, however the Xbox will be getting both Mortal Kombat (which is coming out on all systems) and versions of the Sega Sports games that can go online. Online versions of NFL and NBA 2k# will only be on Xbox (conversely, online versions of EA Sports games will be only on PS2, and GameCube is not very focused on online.)

Do not listen to the person telling you to buy DoA3. It is more hand-to-hand combat that you don't like, except the roster is filled with girls who have bouncing and jiggling boobs to distract you from the gameplay. Go buy a used copy of Raw. It's not that great a game (don't expect any gimmick matches) but it's decent if purchased used.

Other good Xbox games include Halo and Jet Set Radio Future. If you like racing games (as in car, motorbike, whatever) there's a lot of good choices there too. Except for exclusives like Final Fantasy and Grand Theft Auto, a lot of games on PS2 are ported to Xbox. Most of the ports are well done and some of them are even better (for instance, the Xbox port of the Spider-Man game has extra levels and an extra boss.)

Hope this helps.

Guest jimmy no nose
Soul Calibur is a simple button masher.

You just lost all your credibility, I'm afraid. SoulCalibur is considered by 99.9999999% out there as the anti-masher. I imagine only VF4 passes it in that.

Well, I guess what I did wasn't even button mashing, it was repeatedly hitting the same button and never losing. That's even worse.

Guest KoR Fungus

<<<Soul Caliber 2 is coming out on Gamecube, that will smoke every other fighting game.>>>

No, it won't. I'm looking forward to it and am glad to know that Playland is planning to get a machine as soon as it's released, but it won't smoke (or really compare with) Tekken 4 or Virtua Fighter 4 unless they rework the whole engine and add depth. I imagine it'll probably be about as good as TTT.

And, for the record, it's also coming out on X-Box and PS2, both of which have far superior controllers for fighting games. I'm not recommending X-Box over GC by any means, just saying...

<<<IMO Soul Calibur is still the best fighting game ever made. It came out in '99 and still blows everything else away today. Soul Calibur 2 will own YOU.>>>

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but in my opinion SC is barely better than it's far more polished prequel, and was never as good as TK3. It's not even close to TTT in any area, except for maybe being more newbie accessable.

<<<Soul Calibur is a simple button masher.>>>

Nah, that's going too far. Simple? Sure. A button masher? Nah. In fact, the reason a lot of non-hardcore fighting game fans like it so much is because with a little practice, it's really easy to beat most button mashers. Just because the computer AI is horrible doesn't mean anything when it comes to what works on players.

<<<You just lost all your credibility, I'm afraid. SoulCalibur is considered by 99.9999999% out there as the anti-masher. I imagine only VF4 passes it in that.>>>

It's true that Soul Calibur isn't a button masher. It's also true that it is pretty simplistic, with very little in the way of juggles or really much top level strategy. I figure that the reason it's so popular is because the simplicity makes casual players feel good about themselves. They can practice for a couple hours, see immediate results, and conclude that SOUL CALIBUR ROXXORZ~! With games like Tekken or Virtua Fighter, results take longer, and so many players just give up and complain that the game is a button masher, when the real problem is that the players just have no patience. The magazine reviewers are going to mostly be casual players, they have to be, with so many games to review, you can't focus on just one. Thus, they'll love SC. Me, I'll take a deep fighter over a newbie-friendly fighter any day of the week.

Eh I could go on for pages, but I'll stop.

Guest KoR Fungus

As for the original question, I say GameCube easily. I see nothing at all that I want on X-Box. DOA3 is a fun game to play at parties, but it's totally style over substance. Halo is supposedly a killer ap, but I've never liked FPS games, so it doesn't appeal to me. There hasn't really been anything worth buying since launch, and their lineup at E3 also looked pretty horrible. When an MGS2 port and a volleyball game are competing for X-Box game of show, you know something's wrong. Plus, it's doing so horribly everywhere but the US that it's not clear how long third parties are going to want to publish games for it.

GC otoh has three absolute guaranteed killer aps on the way in Metroid Prime, Mario Sunshine and Zelda. It also has better stuff now, imo, with cute, fun games like Monkey Ball and SSBM. Plus it costs less, and it's assured that it'll be around in three years, simply because it has Nintendo first party games as exclusives. Better games now, better games coming, less money, more security. Sounds better in every way to me.

Guest C.H.U.D.
WM and No Mercy, IMO, are the 2 worst wrestling games ever, they are just iritating, and you can't do moves.

You can't do moves? No Mercy is the EASIEST wrestling game in the history of wrestling games to do moves.

Maybe you should try it for more than 3 minutes. My 5 year old cousin can play the game and pull off moves with no problem.

Guest wwF1587

Gamecube all the way. If not for Halo this would be a no contest. Cube is cheaper, and just as fun. First game you should get, I reccomend Resident Evil......drools. Have fun.

Guest C.H.U.D.

I saw a story on the news today saying that X-Box is selling very poorly and it's effecting the stock levels of graphics companies that are working with Microsoft on the system.

You may want to stay away from it.

Guest Jobber of the Week
I saw a story on the news today saying that X-Box is selling very poorly and it's effecting the stock levels of graphics companies that are working with Microsoft on the system.

Stock of all tech companies are doing badly right now.

In case you haven't noticed, we're in a recession. And the Xbox didn't meet initial expectation, but consider a year ago when you thought "Microsoft making a console?" and consider what you think now, they've done pretty damn well in the face of PS2.

I'm not going to answer to any more replies here though because I don't want to turn this thread into a fanboy war.

Suffice it to say, Nintendo has some very vocal fans on the internet, although the majority buys PS2. Microsoft gets slammed by the online community by all comers just because they're Microsoft.

But considering what the poster said he's interested in, I still think the Xbox is the better choice. *shrug*

Guest J*ingus

I still maintain that, judging from the sales figures so far, I wouldn't count on the XBox being around for very long. I really think that Microsoft could pull the plug on it sometime soon.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

Must resist...Temptation...To bash...Smackdown... No Mercy...HURRAH!

Think of it this way.

GC is for fun.

Xbox is not.

This is not a bash of either system. It is luigi's mansion vs. Halo. If you have Playstation, then GC would probably be more of a change in pace than Xbox. But Xbox's harddrive is a BIG strong point for it. If you travel a lot, then Gamecube is easier to carry around (yeah, it is a small point, but size matters.. ;) )

Guest KoR Fungus

<<< I still maintain that, judging from the sales figures so far, I wouldn't count on the XBox being around for very long. I really think that Microsoft could pull the plug on it sometime soon.>>>

Agreed. It's been a total flop everywhere except the United States, and you have to spin pretty hard to deny that. Microsoft's overseas projections weren't exactly optimistic, and they didn't get close to them. The recession argument isn't great either, since recession or no recession, the industry is probably going to set yet another sales record this year. Even if Microsoft keeps sucking up the losses, third parties are eventually going to bail. There's no reason for them to publish exclusive games on a system that will be in a distant third place.

Guest jimmy no nose

Actually they seem to have Europe back on track after the price drop, but the numbers in Japan are awful.

Guest El Psycho Diablo

Actually..the US is really only what counts. They need the Japanese developers..yeah..but companies like Nintendo survived for YEARS of lacking console sales in other countries while selling well here.

The Xbox is NOT about to die. Get your facts straight.

-Shiro

Guest C.H.U.D.

I love how defensive X-Box owners get when people talk about how bad it is selling.

Denial about wasting money on a dead system = fun to watch.

Guest Jobber of the Week
Denial about wasting money on a dead system = fun to watch.

Not really, it's just that Microsoft is able to take financial risks without breaking the bank.

Also, if they pull out of this, they lose a LOT of public face. They've made a whole bunch of noise about this, and if they pull out of it completely, it will be one of the worst disasters they've ever remembered. So even if they do give up, they'll just slowly work the thing to sleep.

Guest El Psycho Diablo

I'm not going to waste my time arguing with somebody if they're not going to be wrong. Just because the Xbox is put out by a company some internet people don't like dosen't mean it's a bad system. Some people have enough brains to realize that. And for the fact, I own a lot of systems, not just the Xbox. It's just the one I consistently play the most.

It's just like the "WWF is dying" crap that's popping up now. Baseless accusations. When you get me actual facts (not bs ones floating off the internet) I'll listen.

But until you get facts, cut it with the "XbOx iS dYiNg" crap and get something intelligent to say.

-Shiro