TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SuperJerk

Vote for My Big Daddy

Slightly off topic, but I think it's way cool of Gerogia to have run off elections when no when gets the majority of the vote. Wish the rest of the country would follow. It would help third parties a lot.

A run off system would crowd all but the top two vote getters, thus killing any chance third parties would have at getting ANY votes in a general election.

Guess what; nothing can help third parties. Do some research on electoral systems.

3rd parties are more successful & influential in some places--Canada, Germany, India, etc. Not sure what your point is. No, the American system isn't very amenable to 3rd parties, but that doesn't mean nothing can help them.

Guess what; nothing can help third parties. Do some research on electoral systems.

3rd parties are more successful & influential in some places--Canada, Germany, India, etc. Not sure what your point is. No, the American system isn't very amenable to 3rd parties, but that doesn't mean nothing can help them.

All those countries have proportional representational voting, with, granted, half of an exception for India. Single plurality voting systems are, by design, essentially firewalls against third parties and coalition governments.

I ever notice how threads based on serious topics get turned into jokefests, and threads started for humorous reason get turned into serious discussion?

Oh, TSM, how I love you. I will never ever leave you again.

OK, I take back that a runoff would help 3rd Parties "a lot," but pepole could actually vote for whom they really wanted to in the general election and not worrying about throwing away their vote. Plus I feels a little more democratic that in the end it's garunteed that the winner eventually some sort of approval from a majority of the voters.

Guest Vitamin X

Looks like groping your granddaughter is the way to win an election in Georgia.