TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Powerplay

Since Hasek Has Unfortunately Left....

Guest Powerplay

My pick is Curtis Joseph, although I don't know how much of a fight Toronto will put up. I don't know of any other big name goalies out there that the Wings could readily take like Joseph, so do you think the Wings will pursue him? Will they get him? If not, who else could they get?

Guest redbaron51

I don't see how dumb Toronto are.

Cujo wants four years, but Toronto is giving three? Pat Quinn is a moron, and if Cujo goes to a different team, Pat Quinn is going to get fired at the GM position.

BTW I think they should look into some younger talent like Dafoe

Guest starvenger

>why dont they break in legace?

that's a very good question.

The Wings will undoubtedly want Joseph, and I'd say that Detroit is likely to be the only place Cujo is considering if he can't make the deal with Toronto.

As far as that goes, both sides are being very coy about the situation and how it's progressing.

Anyways, my take is that Detroit and Toronto will end up with one of three goalies: Cujo, Dafoe or Belfour. I just don't know how that's playing out yet.

Guest treble charged

The Leafs don't want to sign Joseph to a 4 year deal if he's only going to play for 2. I can understand that, as they don't want to go out and waste millions on a player who isn't playing.

If he does leave (which I think he will), I hope they sign Dafoe. Him, along with and Schawb or Barrasso would make a good tandem, and would be much cheaper. That money could be spent on someone like Kasparitis or another defenceman to help the goalie out.

Guest MaxPower27

What about Eddy "I'm not washed up" Belfour? He's only 39 years old, he'll be like a rookie on Detroit. (sarcasm)

Why not try a trade with Phila.? They have Boucher and Cechmanek, and can't seem to choose, so send over a couple of underachieving minor leaguers, and boom. Boucher is the better of the two, and Philly will probably want to get rid of one.

Dafoe is a decent goalie, but my gripe as a B's fan, is that when his defence shuts down, he does too. When they blew a couple of leads against Montreal, Dafoe let in soft goals. He wants a lot of $$$, too, so he's probably gone, as with Sinden in Boston, nobody makes any money. God, I hope they resign Guerin!!

Guest Powerplay

Belfour's career stats are much better than CuJo's. CuJo has 36 shutouts while Belfour has around 58 SOs. Hasek had 60. Belfour would be much cheaper than CuJo, leaving people like Bill Guerin (Ah HAHAHAHAHAHA!!) and Bobby Holik open prospects for the Illitchs (And we all know they are ready to dive into their wallets). Plus he has the talent to deliver solid games. 2 Stanley Cup appearances in 4 years and 1 Cup ring does say a lot about him. He has one more ring than CuJo does :P. Plus, now that I'm looking into it, Belfour could be the more likely pick ("If Detroit can fall in love with Chelio (D Chris Chelios), they can fall in love with Eddie Belfour," C Steve Yzerman said. Plus there are two former teammates of his on the Red Wings (the aforementioned Chelios and Brett Hull)).

Yeah, nice little "The Red Wings are Older than Dirt" joke. Really, it should be "Aged to Perfection", considering they won the cup and trashed every other team they faced. And their young players have great talent. Pavs is one of the best stickhandlers in the NHL (He has Nick Lidstrom asking him to not "Embarras him" during practices. That's from the top player of the playoffs and the standout best defenseman in the NHL). Beautiful and delightful to watch. People who don't watch hockey, find a couple clips of Pavel Datysuk doing his moves and I'll guarentee you'll begin watching the NHL. Jiri Fisher, under tuteledge of the great Chris Chelios (One of the few players to have his best season at age 40), is becoming a great overall defenseman. Sean Avery is looking very nice, and Jason Williams is even better. Legace is doing good (Though not as good as last season where he really rocked), and if someone like CuJo or Belfour comes he can always learn some new tricks. To top this off, Henrik Zetterberg is coming over from Europe to play for us. The 21-year old center is considered to be the most talented player not in the NHL yet. The Red Wings have always been great at getting quality Euros and diamonds in the rough *cough*NickLidstromVladimirKonstatinov*cough*. Hell, back in 1998 they found Joey Kocur playing in some over-25 bush league in MI and put him in and he did damn well even as he was well into his 30's. The Red Wings know how to find great talent in people. They will be big playoff contenders for many years to come.

Guest treble charged

Belfour cracked in Dallas! Fucking Dallas! Do you think he could handle the pressure in a place like Toronto or Detroit? No!

Guest Powerplay
Belfour cracked in Dallas!  Fucking Dallas!  Do you think he could handle the pressure in a place like Toronto or Detroit?  No!

CuJo and Toronto haven't gotten to the Cup in how long? Belfour was there two years ago and he has won one. He has the talent. CuJo has never in my memory ever had a Stanley Cup trip to the Stanley Cup. Advantage: Belfour."The Eagle" boasts better career stats than CuJo in areas like shutouts (B=58, J=36) by 22 games and GAA (B=2.47, J=2.78 )even though they have been in the league the same amount of years. Advantage: Belfour. Belfour looks a little bit like John Belushi. Remember "Animal House"? Who does CuJo look like? No actor I know. Advantage: Belfour. Belfour costs much less than CuJo, meaning the Wings can get more veteran star support. Advantage: Belfour.

I don't think he will crack. Dallas doesn't have NEAR the talent Detroit now has on its defense. If he does, Legace can take over in an instant. When he was sharing duty with Osgood he was excellent. No worries there. If we get him, we can add Guerin or Holik or some other veteran superstar who wants to win a cup before he retires (Teemu Selanne ^_^?) . With CuJo there is very little space for catching a star without having to have another "Cup or Bust" season. CuJo is good, but only Roy and Hasek have the talent for a "Cup or Bust" season (Reference: The last Champs and the current Champs) Let the Rangers take CuJo. When it comes down to two great players vs. one great player, I'll take the two any day of the week.

Plus you'll probably have to change your sig, treble charged. Red Wings are notorious for repeating :P. And without CuJo, where is your reliable crease gonna come from? Dafoe? :lol: Yeah, sure. Did you watch the Montreal series? Maybe Toronto should consider Belfour.

Guest starvenger

Powerplay, you make a good point about Belfour's stats, but he IS more volatile than Joseph, and last year was definitely not his best.

That being said, Detroit has managed to wring some good years out of their "old guys", so who knows?

Guest redbaron51

You can say all you want about Detroit, that cup is coming back for a 25th time. :D

Guest Hogan Made Wrestling

"some other veteran superstar who wants to win a cup before he retires (Teemu Selanne ?) "

Selanne is only 31, he's hardly at that stage of his career. I would love to see him in Detroit playing with Federov or Datsyuk though, since the Wings are my fave team and he's my fave player. Just as long as he doesn't end up with the Avs, that would suck.

Guest Powerplay

"Powerplay, you make a good point about Belfour's stats, but he IS more volatile than Joseph, and last year was definitely not his best.

That being said, Detroit has managed to wring some good years out of their "old guys", so who knows? "

Yes, CuJo has been more of a stable force than the Eagle, but I think with a solid team like he had in Chicago and Dallas he will do well. Everyone on this team seems to make everyone better, and he could make a good comeback.

"You can say all you want about Detroit, that cup is coming back for a 25th time. :D"

Hey, a Habs fan! By far my favorite Canadian team. They've gotten much better in the last year since they finally found someone (Jose Theodore) to fill the very large hole Patrick Roy had left. If they had made it past the Hurricanes, it would have been a Red Wings-Canadians Final, which would totally rock.

"Selanne is only 31, he's hardly at that stage of his career. I would love to see him in Detroit playing with Federov or Datsyuk though, since the Wings are my fave team and he's my fave player. Just as long as he doesn't end up with the Avs, that would suck. "

He is a vet, though not going to retire in a while. Detroit would be awesome with him. They could make a sniper line with him (Selanne, Hull, Robitaille).

Guest dreamer420

i would hate to see cujo leave the leafs for the wings. hasek is going to leave a huge hole in the team but I would like to seem them bring their own goalie up from the minors.

Guest hockeytown9321

I think the wings will go with either Belfour or Joseph. I'd rather see Joseph, becuase I know what a head case Eddie can be.

I don't think detroit will make many moves in free agency aside from the goalie. They have 8 mil. from hasek, and 4 mil. from Uwe Krupp to work with. They want to keep the payroll the same as it was this year, or less. Maybe they try and sign Guerin just so the av's don't get him, but like some else said earlier, Detroit has 3 or 4 young guys that are ready to play. I have heard nothing but good things about Zetterberg, who was the only non NHL player on Sweden's Olympic team.

Guest MaxPower27

As a Bruins fan, as well as a Sens fan, I PRAY that Guerin stays in his homestate, and tries to again be the veteran leader for the Bruins. Who could replace Dafoe in net for the B's? I hope to God that they don't try to replace him with John Grahame.

Guest MaxPower27

Yeah, for a third rounder in next year's draft. He's not a bad defenceman, is he? I didn't catch any Anaheim games last year.

Guest MaxPower27

Ah jesus, you're right. I didn't have my glasses on when I saw it on ESPN's bottomline. He backed up Hasek in Buffalo, did he not?

Guest endgame722

The way I see things many of the top goalies in the NHL will be on the way out in the not so distant future. Hasek has retired, Belfour is done and both Cujo and Roy have about two years left in them. I think now would be the right time for a team like Toronto to let Cujo walk like treble charged said and sign someone like Dafoe. I think the Leafs showed against Carolina that their main problem is getting goal scoring in the playoffs and resigning Cujo for 9M/season isn't gonna solve that.

Guest Hogan Made Wrestling

I like the idea of Belfour a lot more than Joseph. He will be cheaper and there's no way we would be stuck with him for 4 years, when Legace could be the starter of the future. And isn't Artus Irbe a free agent? He could be a good fit on the Wings, they have a good history with smaller goalies who wear cage-style masks (Vernon, Osgood, Hasek). Hey, whatever works :)

My desired Wings lineup next season:

Shanahan Federov Selanne

Hull Datsyuk Devereaux

McCarty Draper Maltby

Holmstrom Williams Zetterberg

Lidstrom Olausson

Chelios Fischer

Dandenault Kuznetsov

Belfour Legace

Flip Robataille either for prospects or maybe another defenseman if Olausson retires or they don't want to bring in Kuznetsov. Larianov if he doesn't retire can split duty with Williams, or one of them can play the wing if Zetterberg isn't ready to jump into the lineup. Yzerman returns mid-season and can be slotted in depending on his health and who is underperforming.

Guest redbaron51

Shields is a good goalie, when Hasek was hurt in Buffalo, Shields played pretty well.

I think with Boston's defence, Shields can fit in if Dafoe leaves.

Don't forget, Montreal is probably going to dump Jeff Hackett.

Guest dreamer420
Don't forget, Montreal is probably going to dump Jeff Hackett.

they have theodore now so hackett will just be a backup if he stays. i don't think he's ever been more than that

Guest redbaron51

Montreal is paying 5 million for a backup, meanwhile Montreal has Fiset for a backup

Guest Slingshot Suplex

Hackett was Chicago's #1 goalie before Thibault,I believe.Then he was Montreal's #1 until Theodore developed.Now he's probably gone.

Guest treble charged

Yeah, Hackett (and Weinrich, too, I think) was traded for Thiabault.

Guest dreamer420

do the hurricanes have irbe locked up long term? while i'd like to see him stay with carolina, i know he could lead a team like detroit to a cup or two. all irbe needs in a team that can score a couple of goals and he does the rest.