Sign in to follow this  
Bored

BCS Championship Game Thread

MNC Question  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Oklahoma
    • Florida

Can anybody logically explain to me why Tim Tebow is being heralded in the Top 10 college football players of all time?

Yeah, its almost every day we see a player win a Heisman and two national championships in his first three years at the school. And say what you will, but the Gators don't win either national title without Tebow.

What Tebow brings to the field and to the team can't be measured by stats (although they are still pretty damn impressive.)

Fair enough (although I'd argue the Heisman thing since IIRC he was the 1st Sophomore to win it and in the past, there was a bias to give it to the best Senior/Junior).

As for his credentials... Most of the following played only 3 seasons, usually sitting their freshman year behind a QB.

Matt Leinart: 37-2 as Starter. Won 2 National Championships (Lost Another). Won 1 Heisman Trophy.

Vince Young: 30-2 as Starter. Won 1 National Championship.

Tim Tebow: 22-5 as Starter. Won 2 National Championships (Though 1 was largely as a part time QB). Won 1 Heisman Trophy.

Danny Wuerffel: 45-6-1 as Starter. Won 1 National Championship. Won 1 Heisman Trophy.

Tommie Frazier: 33-3 as Starter. Won 2 National Championships (Lost Another).

Sammy Baugh: 29-7-2 as Starter. Won 2 Bowl Games (Sugar and Cotton).

Eric Crouch: 39-9 as Starter. Won 1 Heisman Trophy.

I'd argue he's a Top 50-40 player of all time right now but I can't argue that he's in the Top 10 college football players ever at this time (including defensive players). The highly decorated RBs alone would bump him down to around 9 or 10 at best.

Crouch didn't win a national title, he was beaten soundly by Miami in 01.

Tebow is good, but I still don't think he's better than Vince Young. And Young was every bit as much of an emotional leader as Tebow. And everyone talks about Tebow putting Florida on his back against OU. Percy Harvin was pretty damn deadly in that game. Vince Young literally did put Texas on his back against USC.

Crouch didn't win a national title, he was beaten soundly by Miami in 01.

Tebow is good, but I still don't think he's better than Vince Young. And Young was every bit as much of an emotional leader as Tebow. And everyone talks about Tebow putting Florida on his back against OU. Percy Harvin was pretty damn deadly in that game. Vince Young literally did put Texas on his back against USC.

Technically, Eric Crouch was a redshirt in 1997 when Nebraska did win the National Championship but thanks for the heads up.