TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

Favre Retirement II: Electric Boogaloo

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I'd like to address this first: No one is sending 2 first rounders to New England for Matt Cassel. Not even the Lions.

On Favre's retirement:

anonymous-gene-kelly-singing-in-the-rain-2400101.jpg

I'd like to address this first: No one is sending 2 first rounders to New England for Matt Cassel. Not even the Lions.

You can still trade a player that has been franchised without worrying about draft pick compensation. I'd say the chances of Cassel starting the year on the Patriots is less than 5%.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

No, but the team making the trade still has to match that contract, and send something juicy New England's way. It certainly won't be anyone in the division.

For fun, let's see who would possibly be interested:

No one in the AFC East. No one in the NFC East.

AFC South? Not Indy of course, Jacksonville is happy with Garrard, Houston just picked up Schaub recently, and Tennessee has too many defensive pieces to retain to worry about a FA QB.

NFC South? Not New Orleans, not Atlanta, not Tampa, and I don't think Carolina would do that with Delhomme on the roster.

AFC North? No.

NFC North? Not Detroit or Green Bay or Chicago. Minnesota? I doubt it. They have expensive linemen and the best RB in football. They'll go for someone in the draft, I think.

AFC West? Not Denver or Oakland or San Diego. Kansas City? There's the Pioli connection, but I've already seen that rumor come up and get squashed. I doubt it.

NFC West? Not Arizona, not Seattle, and not St. Louis. All have stable situations or an heir-apparent. San Francisco? I doubt that, too. They seem to be building in-house.

So, the only possible destinations look like San Francisco or Kansas City. Are they seriously going to pay 14 million and send high picks (rebuilding teams with young QBs, mind you) to get a 4th year guy who won 11 games on a terrific team? I don't think so.

Matt Cassel is going to make a damn fortune as an insurance policy, which is probably the smartest thing Matt, the Pats, and the rest of the league could do.